• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 11, 2003 Cold Front

Hoosier

Probably one of my favorite events that never gets talked about. Not the biggest storm in the world by any stretch but there were some pretty interesting occurrences.

Here are some maps followed by excerpts from the February 2003 issue of Storm Data.

021118.png

021200.png

021206.png

An Alberta Clipper type low pressure passed to the north of Iowa during the day on the 11th as the vorticity center slid southeast across the area passing just northeast of Iowa. Very strong northwest winds were in place in the mid and upper levels of the atmosphere. An interesting thing with this event was the occurrence of the first convective system of the season. A line of thunderstorms developed just to the southwest of the vorticity center along the cold frontal boundary. The line was very fast moving. Combined with the already strong ambient winds, very strong gusts occurred with the line along with whiteout conditions in brief heavy snow and blowing snow. Though visibility was reduced to near zero with the thunderstorms, the period of visibility reduction was under 30 minutes.
The first winter storm of the 2002-03 season, to affect parts of south-central and southeast Wisconsin, was centered in a 25-mile wide corridor from the Madison area east to the Milwaukee area. A 2 to 2.5 hour burst of snow accumulating to 4 to 7 inches was followed by west to northwest winds gusting to 35 to 50 mph. Lightning and thunder were observed during the peak snowfall rates, with snowflakes reported to be at least 1 inch in diameter, and visibilities reduced to 1/4 mile or less.
A short wave trough, associated with an arctic frontal boundary, moved through southern Lower Michigan during the late evening of the 11th. As this system moved across the region, it brought one to three inches of snowfall to eastern Michigan, with the exception of 4 to 5 inches along the Interstate 69 corridor from Owosso to Port Huron. High winds followed in the wake of the snowfall and even led to a brief period of blizzard conditions.

One of the more memorable aspects was the fact that the Lincoln NWS issued several severe thunderstorm warnings. Here are some snips from the 4 warnings that were issued:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

602 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2003

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

MARSHALL COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 645 PM CST

* AT 602 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM...WITH HEAVY SNOW... OVER SPARLAND...OR

ABOUT 6 MILES NORTHWEST OF LACON...MOVING EAST AT 65 MPH.

======================================

632 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2003

WOODFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

MCLEAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

TAZEWELL COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 715 PM CST

* AT 632 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM 11 MILES NORTH OF GRIDLEY TO 9

MILES WEST OF SOUTH PEKIN...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

TREMONT

GRIDLEY

GOODFIELD

EL PASO

MACKINAW

CARLOCK

MINIER

HUDSON

AT 632 PM...WOODFORD COUNTY ESDA REPORTED 62 MPH WINDS AT ROANOKE.

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 75 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THIS DANGEROUS

STORM.

706 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2003

LOGAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 730 PM CST

* AT 706 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM OVER MIDDLETOWN...OR ABOUT 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF

MASON CITY...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...

LINCOLN

BROADWELL

CHESTNUT

BEASON

MOUNT PULASKI

LATHAM

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THIS DANGEROUS

STORM. GO TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. ABANDON CARS AND MOBILE HOMES IF YOU ARE IN THE

WARNED AREA.

ALSO...EXPECT VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN

A MILE IN SOME LOCATIONS.

717 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2003

EASTERN MCLEAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

PIATT COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

DE WITT COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

MACON COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 745 PM CST

* AT 717 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM 7 MILES NORTHEAST OF SAYBROOK

TO 19 MILES WEST OF KENNEY...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

LEROY

FARMER CITY

WELDON

MAROA

MANSFIELD

WARRENSBURG

FORSYTH

DE LAND

ARGENTA

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 75 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THIS DANGEROUS

STORM.

ALSO...EXPECT VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN

A MILE IN SOME LOCATIONS.

SPC issued a 5% damaging wind area on the 01z outlook:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2003/day1otlk_20030212_0100.html

day1probotlk_20030212_0100_wind_prt.gif

Unofficial gusts of 65-75 mph were measured in some areas. Other peak wind gusts across the region:

LAF: 59 mph

CID: 58 mph

DTW: 56 mph

BTL: 54 mph

DPA: 54 mph

RFD: 54 mph

CLE: 53 mph

FWA: 53 mph

GRR: 53 mph

SBN: 53 mph

CMH: 52 mph

DVN: 52 mph

JXN: 52 mph

ARR: 51 mph

CMI: 51 mph

DAY: 51 mph

AZO: 50 mph

ZZV: 50 mph

DEC: 48 mph

GEZ: 48 mph

MIE: 48 mph

MLI: 48 mph

MTO: 48 mph

VPZ: 48 mph

MDW: 47 mph

BRL: 46 mph

DBQ: 46 mph

IOW: 46 mph

ORD: 46 mph

PIA: 46 mph

IND: 45 mph

LAN: 45 mph

MFD: 45 mph

MKG: 45 mph

BIV: 44 mph

FNT: 44 mph

TOL: 44 mph

MKE: 43 mph

PWK: 43 mph

UGN: 41 mph

Yeah this was a very cool event. We had a nice sunny day going and this thing blew in in a hurry. Full-on blizzard conditions developed and lasted a few minutes. It snowed so hard you could literally watch the ground whiten up. Had to be some unbelievable rates with that thing.

I modified the winter color palette I made for GREarth for GR2A and strung together some archived NCDC images in movie maker.

Youtube degrades the hell out of video but you get the idea.

High for the 11th here was 32° and then the next morning it was +2°! That was a pretty crazy frontal passage.

Snow rollers - never heard of them either! Those pictures of them somehow remind me of those rocks that travel mysteriously at the Devil's Raceway in Death Valley!

I am definitely in the group of those who never talk about this cold front. So many better things to talk about that winter (Christmas snowstorm, Feb 22/23 snowstorm, April 7 snowstorm, just to name a few). 2002-03 was an excellent winter for Detroit (in fact the first 60"+ winter since 1981-82, so the first of my lifetime, but hey thats old now Ive seen 5 of them wink.png ). But for pretty much everyone west of eastern MI it was a cold, dry winter with below normal snow. This was definitely the highlight of the winter for the midwest, but I was not a fan at all.

I can remember coming home from school and seeing I think a Blizzard Warning issued, and I was shocked as this came out of nowhere. We had a 2-inch snowcover at the time. I saw that the wind was the story moreso than the several inches of snow we were forecast. But hey, Id take it. It was a cool observation for DTW right at midnight, Heavy Snow, visib 0.2 mi, temp 21F, wind WNW 30mph gusting to 56mph. The temp wasnt really a huge issue - ive seen many other fronts do more impressive temp drops) . It was very cold BEFORE the cold front got here, after an afternoon of temps in the upper teens to just over 20F, temps rapidly ROSE to 26F by 10pm as the snow began and the front approached and quickly fell down to 12F by 5am after the front passed. I estimated the snowfall from the front at just 1.2" (DTW had 1.3"). But when I woke up the next morning, I was disappointed. Instead of what could have been 3" of powder on the ground (the old 2" and the new 1"), what had been a nice white blanket of snow, there were now grass pickers showing EVERYWHERE. I dont mean your typical drifty snow where you see an area here and there of grass tips with a drift nearby. I mean every lawn was showing grass throughout the whole lawn (with a look of not more than a heavy dusting of snow) with these HARDPACKED ruts of snow 3-6" deep against all the curbs, fences, etc. They were drifts with a rippled look but where so hardpacked you had too chip at them with the shovel. I went to a park near the river, and the entire park was baren of snow when near the fence the snow was 2+ feet deep but so hard you could stand on top of it and not fall more than few inches through. The wind had assaulted and stole my snow, and I was none-too-happy. I had never seen anything like it, and havent seen anything like it since. Of course 10 days later when I had over a foot of snow on the ground, all had been forgotten. But definitely NOT a cold-front I enjoyed!

I remember this event very well. I was a teenager and putting things together for a Valentine's Day Party I was going to be having with some of my friends. It was really cold and windy all day, and for most of the evening the snowfall and wind were making for some pretty stormy conditions, but all heck broke loose about midnight when the snow became heavy and the winds kicked up to over 60 mph in places. I know for a couple of solid hours at DTW, winds were gusting around that point. Those winds were very intense and unrelenting for a while there and with the snow it was a whiteout at times. Probably the strongest winds I've ever seen with a snow event around these parts.

I remember this event very well. I was a teenager and putting things together for a Valentine's Day Party I was going to be having with some of my friends. It was really cold and windy all day, and for most of the evening the snowfall and wind were making for some pretty stormy conditions, but all heck broke loose about midnight when the snow became heavy and the winds kicked up to over 60 mph in places. I know for a couple of solid hours at DTW, winds were gusting around that point. Those winds were very intense and unrelenting for a while there and with the snow it was a whiteout at times. Probably the strongest winds I've ever seen with a snow event around these parts.

Oh no doubt the whiteouts and wind were cool, I just HATED the aftermath of tons of grasspickers (and hard-packed drifts).

And a few days after this, the infamous PDII storm which buried the east coast but was also a nice hit back through the Midwest/OH Valley especially south of I-80.

After the front was an awesome time in far eastern MI. First, we got unexpectedly moderate snow on Feb 17th as backlash of pdii (4.7" imby, 3.3" DTW). Then on Feb 22/23, it was my first experience with thundersnow as a blizzard-like storm (one that caused flooding to those areas affected by pdii) made the extreme eastern edge of MI the jackpot, 11.5" imby (only 7.3" at DTW). And then the next day, Feb 24th, an insane lake effect squall produced a whiteout and gave me another 2.6" (with 2.5" at DTW).

Archived