• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012-13 Lakes/Midwest/Ohio Valley Season Snowfall

Chicago WX

Slight neg. departure at FWA doesn't surprise me considering how well they fared last winter. Huge neg. departure at Lansing is the most surprising imo.  

Keep in mind those are departures from LAST WINTER not departures from normal.

Great work as usual Tim. Most places a surplus.

The Lansing area is the scewzone of MI this winter. Its not surprising if you follow the weather here as they have just been dodging everything but the usual 1-2" type events (one 3"+ event for the season, that being 3.6"), but it is indeed crazy to see Detroit a clipper away from DOUBLING Lansings total.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind those are departures from LAST WINTER not departures from normal.

Great work as usual Tim. Most places a surplus.

The Lansing area is the scewzone of MI this winter. Its not surprising if you follow the weather here as they have just been dodging everything but the usual 1-2" type events (one 3"+ event for the season, that being 3.6"), but it is indeed crazy to see Detroit a clipper away from DOUBLING Lansings total.

Yeah, I know. I had no idea LAN did so well last winter and has sucked so much ass this winter.

Yeah, I know. I had no idea LAN did so well last winter and has sucked so much ass this winter.

Yeah. Its crazy how you always find a place that managed to stray from the general theme of the winter.

Case in point...last winter Lansing had three significant snowstorms. 8.1" Nov 29/30, 5.3" Jan 13/14, and 7.3" Feb 23/24. This winter their BIGGEST storm has been 3.6".

the ONLY thing i will say is that the cold has at least given them snowcover this winter. In 2011-12, despite nearly 40" falling, they totaled only 29 days with 1"+ snowcover, way below the norm of 67 days. This winters 24" of snow has been enough to yield them 58 days of 1"+ snowcover. So its basically the storm vs the snowcover weenies as to which would be the more tolerable Lansing winter.

• 2 weeks later...

2012-13 season snowfall totals and departures to date.

Updated through March 25, 2013.

ILLINOIS
Chicago ORD: 30.0" -4.4"  
Lincoln ILX: 23.0" +2.9"
Moline MLI: 34.5" +4.3" 
Peoria PIA: 22.7" -1.0"
Rockford RFD: 40.5" +5.3" 
Springfield SPI: 33.1" +12.7" 

INDIANA
Evansville EVV: 12.3" +0.7" 
Fort Wayne FWA: 38.5" +6.4"
Indianapolis IND: 34.4" +8.9"
South Bend SBN: 59.8" -4.7" 

IOWA
Davenport DVN: 27.1" NA 
Des Moines DSM: 48.3" +15.6" 
Dubuque DBQ: 54.5" +15.5"
Mason City MCW: 45.6" +8.1"

Sioux City SUX: 31.5" -0.5"
Waterloo ALO: 48.2" +15.4" 

KENTUCKY
Bowling Green BWG: 3.3" -5.4" 
Jackson JKL: 18.8" -3.3" 
Lexington LEX: 11.8" -0.7" 
Louisville SDF: 9.5" -2.8"  
Paducah PAH: 6.7" -2.4"  

MICHIGAN
Alpena APN: 45.5" -31.0"
Detroit DTW: 47.6" +7.7" 
Flint FNT: 43.5" -0.8" 

Gaylord APX: 139.8" +0.5"

Grand Rapids GRR: 65.1" -7.3" 
Houghton Lake HTL: 57.1" -4.4" 
Lansing LAN: 29.7" -18.8" 
Marquette MQT: 178.7" -3.5"
Muskegon MKG: 98.6" +8.1" 
Sault Ste Marie ANJ: 138.8" +27.2" 

MINNESOTA

Chanhassen MPX: 49.1" +0.1"
Duluth DLH: 78.3" +1.4" 
International Falls INL: 84.9" +21.8"
Minneapolis MSP: 49.3" -1.5" 
Rochester RST: 55.3" +7.9" 
St. Cloud STC: 54.1" +12.5" 

MISSOURI
Columbia COU: 35.0" +17.4" 
Kansas City MCI: 31.2" +13.2" 
St. Louis STL: 27.9" +10.8"

Springfield SGF: 11.3" NA 

OHIO
Akron/Canton CAK: 46.7" +3.1" 
Cincinnati CVG: 24.9" +3.6" 
Cleveland CLE: 51.2" -11.8" 
Columbus CMH: 41.1" +15.9" 
Dayton DAY: 35.5" +13.2" 
Mansfield MFD: 39.2" -5.6" 
Toledo TOL: 22.1" -13.4"  
Youngstown YNG: 78.3" +20.1" 

ONTARIO
Hamilton YHM: 40.8" NA (thru 3/22, missing data) 
London YXU: 54.1" NA (thru 3/24)
Ottawa YOW: 95.6" NA (thru 3/24)

Toronto Downtown: 48.5" (thru 3/24, missing data) 
Toronto YYZ: 40.3" NA (thru 3/24)
Windsor YQG: 50.9" (thru 3/24) 

WISCONSIN
Eau Claire EAU: 66.2" +22.6" 
Green Bay GRB: 66.4" +19.1"  
La Crosse LSE: 55.6" +14.9"  
Madison MSN: 70.3" +23.2" 
Milwaukee MKE: 44.6" +0.6" 
Rhinelander RHI: 67.9" NA 
Wausau AUW: 68.7" +14.7"

Not sure why they even included the dec event. Shows clearly how backloaded this winter was

Yeah that storm was only good for two or three counties. This was the heaviest back loaded winter I can remember.

MICHIGAN

Alpena APN: 45.5" -31.0"

Detroit DTW: 47.6" +7.7" 

Flint FNT: 43.5" -0.8"

Gaylord APX: 139.8" +0.5"

Grand Rapids GRR: 65.1" -7.3" 

Houghton Lake HTL: 57.1" -4.4" 

Lansing LAN: 29.7" -18.8" 

Marquette MQT: 178.7" -3.5"

Muskegon MKG: 98.6" +8.1" 

Sault Ste Marie ANJ: 138.8" +27.2"

What an odd snowfall distribution in MI....it was if the state was sliced in streaks of above and below normal snowfall.

The I-94 corridor in southern MI did well lake effect-wise, and you can add synoptically as well to SE MI (not so much SW MI). ARB (not a first-order station) actually cracked 60" with approximately 37" to their west in Jackson and 47.6" to their east at DTW. Detroits southern and north/northeastern suburbs also had above normal snowfall, but the far northwest suburbs towards had below normal snowfall, and in fact well below normal once you get towards Lansing. Despite the immediate southern burbs of Detroit doing well, once you got into extreme southern MI towards the OH/IN border (the southern half of the bottom row of counties) snowfall was well below normal. Getting back north of Detroit...the streak of low snowfall in the far NW burbs/Lansing halted in the Flint/Saginaw area with more normal conditions, but once you get to the snowbelt in northern lower (Gaylord) snowfall was above normal, but to the northeast of the belt, snowfall was WAY below normal (Alpena never saw a 6" storm!). Lake effect paralyzed Muskegan...and a wonderful mix of lake effect and synoptic gave the eastern U.P. their best winter in YEARS. Maquette had a crazy back-loaded winter, but is just a few inches shy of normal thanks to winters nonstart. That will probably be as exhausting to read as it was to type!

I tried to do a map but obviously with not a ton of stations to go by I cant guarentee perfect accuracy.

post-276-0-89250500-1364323818_thumb.png

Windsor even had more snow than Detroit and just afew inches shy of London. I think the LES snow guns were the largest dissapointment his winter season... For me in the tropics of Ontario nothing but smiles.... Still hoping for a 10"+ storm for the feather in the cap.

What an odd snowfall distribution in MI....it was if the state was sliced in streaks of above and below normal snowfall.

The I-94 corridor in southern MI did well lake effect-wise, and you can add synoptically as well to SE MI (not so much SW MI). ARB (not a first-order station) actually cracked 60" with approximately 37" to their west in Jackson and 47.6" to their east at DTW. Detroits southern and north/northeastern suburbs also had above normal snowfall, but the far northwest suburbs towards had below normal snowfall, and in fact well below normal once you get towards Lansing. Despite the immediate southern burbs of Detroit doing well, once you got into extreme southern MI towards the OH/IN border (the southern half of the bottom row of counties) snowfall was well below normal. Getting back north of Detroit...the streak of low snowfall in the far NW burbs/Lansing halted in the Flint/Saginaw area with more normal conditions, but once you get to the snowbelt in northern lower (Gaylord) snowfall was above normal, but to the northeast of the belt, snowfall was WAY below normal (Alpena never saw a 6" storm!). Lake effect paralyzed Muskegan...and a wonderful mix of lake effect and synoptic gave the eastern U.P. their best winter in YEARS. Maquette had a crazy back-loaded winter, but is just a few inches shy of normal thanks to winters nonstart. That will probably be as exhausting to read as it was to type!

I tried to do a map but obviously with not a ton of stations to go by I cant guarentee perfect accuracy.

NW lower isn't above normal this season.  Traverse City northward is slightly below to just normal. Manistee southward, def above normal.  Alpena got screwed by a persistant storm track that left northern MI with rain while Wisconsin got dumped on.  LE saved western MI.

Gaylord (NWS)

139.8 received

140.0 normal to date

144.3 normal for season

-----------------------------------

Traverse City/Munson

88.1 received

93.5 normal to date

98.2 normal for season

interesting TC sits in a weird spot. no area in the vicinity around them receives anything less than 100" and in a lot of  cases 125".  They're the banana belt on NW lower :P

NW lower isn't above normal this season.  Traverse City northward is slightly below to just normal. Manistee southward, def above normal.  Alpena got screwed by a persistant storm track that left northern MI with rain while Wisconsin got dumped on.  LE saved western MI.

Gaylord (NWS)

139.8 received

140.0 normal to date

144.3 normal for season

-----------------------------------

Traverse City/Munson

88.1 received

93.5 normal to date

98.2 normal for season

interesting TC sits in a weird spot. no area in the vicinity around them receives anything less than 100" and in a lot of  cases 125".  They're the banana belt on NW lower :P

Thanks i will try and update later!

• 2 weeks later...

2012-13 monthly/season snowfall totals through March.

March "out-snowed" December and January in the region. Of course January was pitiful.

Red highlighted box indicates a below normal month, and green highlighted an above normal month. Nothing means there is no average measurable snowfall for that month. Gray highlighted for cities/sites means no snowfall normals available.

Really amazing.

If someone had told me last fall that CMH would beat places like Chicago, Toronto, and Toledo, and would have a +40" season, I would have been waiting for the one blockbuster storm. (ie March '08 app-runner event). In reality we had no storm that will go in the record books...or even the memory bank this past winter. In fact imby only one event scraped the minimum of a warning event. This winter will win the award for most forgetful +40" snowfall season ever.

WISCONSIN

Eau Claire EAU: 66.2" +22.6" 

Green Bay GRB: 66.4" +19.1"  

La Crosse LSE: 55.6" +14.9"  

Madison MSN: 70.3" +23.2" 

Milwaukee MKE: 44.6" +0.6" 

Rhinelander RHI: 67.9" NA 

Wausau AUW: 68.7" +14.7"

Still amazed at the difference between MSN and MKE - only ~60 miles away. As I like to say, the lake giveth and taketh away. A lot more taking away this year... Most of that difference is marginal temps in MKE due to the lake.

Still amazed at the difference between MSN and MKE - only ~60 miles away. As I like to say, the lake giveth and taketh away. A lot more taking away this year... Most of that difference is marginal temps in MKE due to the lake.

The  NORMAL is a 25" inch difference, which is pretty significant for being 60 miles apart, which reveals the micro climate. This year was just more pronounced.

Madison has caught up and surpassed Milwaukee, though it's close, starting essentially in the early 80's. 20 year season snowfall averages per the charts from this thread.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39057-lakesmidwestohio-valley-season-snowfall-project/

1884-85 to 1898-99

MSN: 40.8"

MKE: 50.9"

1899-00 to 1918-19

MSN: 35.8"

MKE: 46.4"

1919-20 to 1938-39

MSN: 36.8"

MKE: 44.5"

1939-40 to 1958-59

MSN: 39.1"

MKE: 41.0"

1959-60 to 1978-79

MSN: 42.2"

MKE: 53.5"

1979-80 to 1998-99

MSN: 49.1"

MKE: 47.9"

1999-00 to 2011-12

MSN: 50.4"

MKE: 49.8"

more like 75-80 miles and the storm track in Dec/Jan was not favorable at all..  nothing really to do with the lake.

Mapquest from my house to the state capitol is 83 miles. from the  Milwaukee airport  it would be 85 miles.

When doing monthly recaps, DTX now puts rankings for the monthly temp, precip, and snow...

For DTW....

Season snowfall at the close of Feb was 44.5", which ranked as the 21st snowiest on record (133 yrs) of snow seasons through the close of Feb.

Season snowfall at the close of Mar was 47.6", which ranks as the 34th snowiest on record (133 yrs) of snow seasons through the close of Mar.

With just a T of snow in Apr...will 47.6" be the final number? If so this will be the 39th snowiest winter in 133 years of record.

Archived