• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2012-13 Lakes/Midwest/Ohio Valley Season Snowfall

Chicago WX

I think this polygon, pretty much represents areas that have missed out on a 3" or greater snowfall this season (in our subforum). Roughly... some spots downwind of Lake MI have picked up 3" or more of lake effect at one time.

Any input to areas that have or have not seen a 3" snowfall yet - I'm welcome to more info, so I can update this.

Looks pretty close to me. Great map, just need a well placed storm and that will disappear

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lansing got hit with a 6-10 inch storm on Nov 29th-30th last year that highly inflated their seasonal total to this point. Lansing is one of only a few locations running behind last year.

Most areas along and west/nw of I69 are running behind last winter at this point. Not by much but that is not saying much either.

I think this polygon, pretty much represents areas that have missed out on a 3" or greater snowfall this season (in our subforum). Roughly... some spots downwind of Lake MI have picked up 3" or more of lake effect at one time. For example: Just north of Alek.

Any input to areas that have or have not seen a 3" snowfall yet - I'm welcome to more info, so I can update this.

See this..

122612snow.png

See this..

Thanks. :)

Must be really frustrating in Battle Creek from what I can see from that map!

Did some adjustments.

Took a closer look at the 3" cut off line from the winter solstice blizzard and I included that little area in NE Cook Co. that had over 3".

2012-13 season snowfall totals and departures from normal to date.

Updated through December 30, 2012.

ILLINOIS

Chicago ORD: 0.9" -8.4"

Lincoln ILX: 1.2" -5.4"

Moline MLI: 5.3" -4.9"

Peoria PIA: 2.2" -5.8"

Rockford RFD: 2.1" -10.6"

Springfield SPI: 3.0" -3.0"

INDIANA

Evansville EVV: 10.7" +7.3"

Fort Wayne FWA: 8.6" -1.7"

Indianapolis IND: 14.2" +6.5"

South Bend SBN: 9.1" -12.7"

IOWA

Davenport DVN: 5.6" NA

Des Moines DSM: 15.5" +3.9"

Dubuque DBQ: 19.2" +5.0"

Mason City MCW: 10.6" -3.1"

Waterloo ALO: 11.3" -1.7"

KENTUCKY

Bowling Green BWG: T -1.1"

Jackson JKL: 2.9" -2.4"

Lexington LEX: 3.4" +0.7"

Louisville SDF: 2.7" 0.0"

Paducah PAH: 5.7" +3.5"

MICHIGAN

Alpena APN: 13.6" -13.0"

Detroit DTW: 11.0" +0.2"

Flint FNT: 11.1" -3.1"

Grand Rapids GRR: 7.5" -20.9"

Houghton Lake HTL: 12.5" -4.8"

Lansing LAN: 4.5" -11.8"

Marquette MQT: 49.0" -22.9"

Muskegon MKG: 8.2" -25.9"

Sault Ste Marie ANJ: 51.0" +1.9"

MINNESOTA

Duluth DLH: 24.5" -8.7"

International Falls INL: 25.3" -5.2"

Minneapolis MSP: 15.8" -5.6"

Rochester RST: 14.5" -4.5"

St. Cloud STC: 18.0" -0.3"

MISSOURI

Columbia COU: 1.4" -3.7"

Kansas City MCI: 2.5" -3.7"

St. Louis STL: 0.9" -4.0"

Springfield SGF: 0.1" NA

OHIO

Akron/Canton CAK: 12.9" -0.3"

Cincinnati CVG: 7.4" +2.0"

Cleveland CLE: 14.0" -4.0"

Columbus CMH: 14.0" +8.1"

Dayton DAY: 11.6" +6.3"

Mansfield MFD: 11.9" -0.9"

Toledo TOL: 6.5" -2.7"

Youngstown YNG: 24.5" +6.5"

ONTARIO

Hamilton YHM: 10.8" NA (some missing data)

London YXU: 9.9" NA

Ottawa YOW: 19.6" NA (some missing data)

Toronto Downtown: NA (missing data)

Windsor YQG: 2.7" NA (thru 12/25)

WISCONSIN

Eau Claire EAU: 21.8" +6.3"

Green Bay GRB: 24.3" +7.4"

La Crosse LSE: 18.4" +3.1"

Madison MSN: 23.5" +6.3"

Milwaukee MKE: 6.9" -6.0"

Rhinelander RHI: 17.6" NA

Wausau AUW: 24.1" +2.4"

December 2012 snowfall totals and departures.

Akron/Canton OH: 13.8" +3.6"

Alpena MI: 11.5" -7.7"

Chicago IL: 0.9" -7.3"

Cincinnati OH: 7.6" +2.8"

Cleveland OH: 15.2" +1.1"

Columbia MO: 3.7" -0.7"

Columbus OH: 14.9" +9.9"

Davenport IA: 5.6" NA

Dayton OH: 10.9" +6.4"

Des Moines IA: 15.5" +6.5"

Detroit MI: 10.6" +1.0"

Dubuque IA: 18.8" +7.0"

Duluth MN: 13.2" -4.5"

Eau Claire WI: 20.9" +11.4"

Evansville IN: 10.7" +7.5"

Flint MI: 8.9" -2.9"

Fort Wayne IN: 9.0" +0.5"

Grand Rapids MI: 7.2" -14.7"

Green Bay WI: 22.8" +9.7"

Houghton Lake MI: 13.3" -2.6"

Indianapolis IN: 14.8" +7.9"

International Falls MN: 14.4" -0.6"

Jackson KY: 1.8" -3.1"

Kansas City MO: 4.6" -0.2"

La Crosse WI: 18.3" +7.0"

Lansing MI: 4.0" -9.0"

Lexington KY: 3.4" +0.9"

Lincoln IL: 2.5" -3.7"

London ON: 9.1" -11.0"

Louisville KY: 2.7" +0.1"

Madison WI: 23.4" +9.9"

Mansfield OH: 10.2" -0.3"

Marquette MI: 28.3" -14.5"

Mason City IA: 10.6" +1.3"

Milwaukee WI: 6.9" -3.7"

Minneapolis MN: 15.0" +3.1"

Moline IL: 5.3" -4.0"

Muskegon MI: 7.4" -21.5"

Ottawa ON: 14.8" -7.7" (missing data)

Paducah KY: 5.7" +3.5"

Peoria IL: 3.2" -3.9"

Rhinelander WI: 12.2" NA

Rochester MN: 14.4" +1.9"

Rockford IL: 2.1" -9.2"

St. Cloud MN: 15.0" +5.6"

St. Louis MO: 2.1" -2.3"

Sault Ste Marie MI: 29.0" -4.5"

Sioux City IA: 9.9" +2.1"

South Bend IN: 9.1" -8.2"

Springfield IL: 4.6" -1.0"

Springfield MO: 1.3" -3.6"

Toledo OH: 7.0" -0.4"

Toronto ON: 6.5" -5.0"

Waterloo IA: 11.3" +1.4"

Wausau WI: 21.8" +7.9"

Windsor ON: 12.4" +0.5"

Youngstown OH: 24.3" +9.3"

Add another T to the Windsor area. Awoke to some more beautiful mood flakes. Fluffy, fat and dancing around most of the morning. From the numbers there is a real snow shortage in this region. Not a good start of the winter season to replenish the low lake levels. Lets all hope the rest of the season is a different story. Although there are some signs to differ in the long term models.

Given there was no 3" amounts in west Michigan last night and factoring in the snowfall a couple days ago across central IL. I updated where there has not been a 3" snowfall this season. Should start calling it the futility club map! lol

Looked a couple other maps for N IN and S MI from the post Chrismtas system and was able to trim away a little extra territory.

It looks like things MAY improve for you when the cold comes in after mid-month. Early indications are this could be a good pattern for clippers and more importantly for you, LES.

Whats interesting in that article....and I know its easy to look at your snowfall totals in recent years and say "why complain?", but I think its easy to forget just how much snow Muskegan ACTUALLY averages. They should be at 38" to date, just 5" less than the ENTIRE seasonal average for Detroit (and we are in only early January) and yet Detroit has more than Muskegan and Grand Rapids (not to mention better snowcover). Also....the city in MI probably MOST prone to snow drought (based on local standards) in recent winters is Sault St. Marie, and they are doing about average...which shows things can and will turn around.

It looks like things MAY improve for you when the cold comes in after mid-month. Early indications are this could be a good pattern for clippers and more importantly for you, LES.

Whats interesting in that article....and I know its easy to look at your snowfall totals in recent years and say "why complain?", but I think its easy to forget just how much snow Muskegan ACTUALLY averages. They should be at 38" to date, just 5" less than the ENTIRE seasonal average for Detroit (and we are in only early January) and yet Detroit has more than Muskegan and Grand Rapids (not to mention better snowcover). Also....the city in MI probably MOST prone to snow drought (based on local standards) in recent winters is Sault St. Marie, and they are doing about average...which shows things can and will turn around.

Once the Arctic air is cut loose later next week, I suspect western MI will be hit hard with LES for at least 2-3 days. Who knows Blackrock, by the end of the month you may have a couple feet on the ground!

I figure by the time we get to January 20th, the rest of the areas that haven't seen a 3" snowfall will have disappeared off my map.

Once the Arctic air is cut loose later next week, I suspect western MI will be hit hard with LES for at least 2-3 days. Who knows Blackrock, by the end of the month you may have a couple feet on the ground!

I figure by the time we get to January 20th, the rest of the areas that haven't seen a 3" snowfall will have disappeared off my map.

I sure hope you are right...

Thanks.

Must be really frustrating in Battle Creek from what I can see from that map!

Did some adjustments.

Took a closer look at the 3" cut off line from the winter solstice blizzard and I included that little area in NE Cook Co. that had over 3".

looks pretty close to me good job

Sent from my iPhone 5 using

Tapatalk!

You're map is off a bit in SW IL.  I have had 3" snow back in December.  Many area's right around me to the SE have as well that are included. Not that I care that it's a bit off.  Thought I'd give you a heads up on that.  We had a system that gave many of us right around 3-4", pending on when measurements were taken compaction would play a big role in that one. I had 2.5" but others in my city reported 3-4".

And I know two cities 7-10 MIles S and SE of here had 3-4"

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I am starting to understand the climate here more. Muskegon seems to have more extremes based off of lake influence. If the pattern doesn't favor much lake effect, the year's snowfall total ends up being in the 50 to 70 inch range. If the lake is involved, the year's total is pretty much doubled and ends up somewhere in the 120 to 150 inch range. Those are pretty big differences, but I think shows how we get an average in the 100 inch range. A winter of 50 inches seems REALLY dull compared to one with 150 inches. Unfortunately, most of the winters I have lived here have been on the much less snowy side.

You're map is off a bit in SW IL.  I have had 3" snow back in December.  Many area's right around me to the SE have as well that are included. Not that I care that it's a bit off.  Thought I'd give you a heads up on that.  We had a system that gave many of us right around 3-4", pending on when measurements were taken compaction would play a big role in that one. I had 2.5" but others in my city reported 3-4".

And I know two cities 7-10 MIles S and SE of here had 3-4"

Ok. I gotta bring my line up towards the city more. I know the northern side of the St. Louis metro has not had a 3" snow yet.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I am starting to understand the climate here more. Muskegon seems to have more extremes based off of lake influence. If the pattern doesn't favor much lake effect, the year's snowfall total ends up being in the 50 to 70 inch range. If the lake is involved, the year's total is pretty much doubled and ends up somewhere in the 120 to 150 inch range. Those are pretty big differences, but I think shows how we get an average in the 100 inch range. A winter of 50 inches seems REALLY dull compared to one with 150 inches. Unfortunately, most of the winters I have lived here have been on the much less snowy side.

I think one issue for Muskegon is when it comes to storms cutting up from the SW that are supposed to give the area snow is that the system pulls too much mild air from the southern part of the lake.

You get an extra warm tongue up your way near the lake. It seems western Lakes cutters seem to go up the lake a lot of times before cutting across in your area.

What's the best wind direction for you for LES? WNW I'm guessing.

I think one issue for Muskegon is when it comes to storms cutting up from the SW that are supposed to give the area snow is that the system pulls too much mild air from the southern part of the lake.

You get an extra warm tongue up your way near the lake. It seems western Lakes cutters seem to go up the lake a lot of times before cutting across in your area.

If we're affected by a warm tongue of air, it's usually in November/early december. However, with it being so mild, that has been lasting longer.

I have noticed the best wind directions for lake effect snow around here are southwest (great for enhancement too), westerly (where there is no strong wind...otherwise it can get blown over us to GR), and actually North northwest. I have grown quite fond of north northwest lake bands because they go along a long stretch of lake michigan, are usually ushered in with cold air, and hug the coast. They can really DUMP on us. Sometimes where there is too much westerly component, the bands get too narrow and jump over many areas. Of course, since moving here, I have not experienced many good lake effect events the past couple winters. Each winter we have managed to get a nice convergence band that dumps 8 to 12 inches, but that's about it.

If we're affected by a warm tongue of air, it's usually in November/early december. However, with it being so mild, that has been lasting longer.

I have noticed the best wind directions for lake effect snow around here are southwest (great for enhancement too), westerly (where there is no strong wind...otherwise it can get blown over us to GR), and actually North northwest. I have grown quite fond of north northwest lake bands because they go along a long stretch of lake michigan, are usually ushered in with cold air, and hug the coast. They can really DUMP on us. Sometimes where there is too much westerly component, the bands get too narrow and jump over many areas. Of course, since moving here, I have not experienced many good lake effect events the past couple winters. Each winter we have managed to get a nice convergence band that dumps 8 to 12 inches, but that's about it.

With the NNW events, a Lake Superior connection is usually involved in addition to the long Lake Michigan fetch, which can lead to nasty accumulations.

Muskegon basically sits on the same storm track as MKE. That is under most normal circumstances. Storms going almost due north are the exception as well as systems headed ese/se ( clipper type lows ) are the exception too. We had one but ala it was a warmer system.

For Muskegon wnw/west and especially wsw works best for there.

Believe me 9 out of 10 times a nnw flow does jack for you as usually ( not always ) the band ends up JUST offshore. Usually clips the points ( to your north ) and comes in near Berrien County ( sometimes on Indiana side and completely misses MI )  in the far sw corner of the state. We have had many of these going back to 06-07.. Problem for you and most others in W.MI ( Except Berrien ) is the severely lacking wnw/west and to some degree wsw flow events. EVERYTHING has either been NNW/N/NNE, or NE flow events for a few years now.

We need decent cold and a good source for moisture to combine with our desired flow. Usually a closed off system hanging up near Superior/N.MI and a decent supply of cold will do the trick.

With the NNW events, a Lake Superior connection is usually involved in addition to the long Lake Michigan fetch, which can lead to nasty accumulations.

Outside of Berrien County hardly anywhere else in this state cashes in from such events. But yeah they are epic producers down that way across N.IN..

Archived