• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012-13 Lakes/Midwest/Ohio Valley Season Snowfall

Chicago WX

Very true...I LOVE those events. I wouldn't if I lived on the eastern side of my county. :)

I think it was December of 2000 where Muskegon had snow accumulation every day that month!

Here's a good situation like Harry was talking about. You get clipped and areas south of you get hammered. Found this through yahoo images.

7ba8c87abe4ee454f3903b3af8297c0a.jpg < This was on 12/8/2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was December of 2000 where Muskegon had snow accumulation every day that month!

Here's a good situation like Harry was talking about. You get clipped and areas south of you get hammered. Found this through yahoo images.

7ba8c87abe4ee454f3903b3af8297c0a.jpg < This was on 12/8/2010

That is slightly closer to nw but yeah it gets the point across.

Oh and yeah Dec 2000 was epic across W.MI. Everywhere from here on west to the lake had 53"+ for the month. Jan 2009 came close and ofcourse Jan 99 was big for W.MI part due to the blizzard which left a beauty of a set up for LES in W.MI.

19 days of measurable snowfall at MKG in December 2000. 55.7" total for the month.

Dec 2008 had 20 days of measurable snow there...only four days didn't have any snow. 68.6" for that month.

January 1982 is what he wants though, or wants to dream about. 102.4" of snow that month at MKG. Only three days that month didn't record at least a trace...25 days total with measurable snow.

19 days of measurable snowfall at MKG in December 2000. 55.7" total for the month.

Dec 2008 had 20 days of measurable snow there...only four days didn't have any snow. 68.6" for that month.

January 1982 is what he wants though, or wants to dream about. 102.4" of snow that month at MKG. Only three days that month didn't record at least a trace...25 days total with measurable snow.

That's the month I was probably thinking of.

I don't know the most snowy days here in a month; measurable and just a trace amounts, but January 1999 had 10 days with snow between the 1-15th. December 2000: 20 days total, 15 days measurable. February 2008: 16 days total, 13 measurable.

Being in a LES belt can do wonders!

That is what I moved to the snowbelt for!!! Not these past piddly winters where I look out the window hoping to see one freakin flake of snow.

Harry, do you have any links or resources about those very snowy months?

Monthly/seasonal totals for MKG: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grr/climate/data/mkg/snowfall/'>http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grr/climate/data/mkg/snowfall/

You can get the individual months here, using the Local Climatological Data link: http://www7.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/'>http://www7.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/

• 3 weeks later...

The missing snowfall data for the downtown Toronto station is in the process of being added. Most of the dates are accounted for, except for the all-important Dec. 26/27 storm. Even without that storm, the seasonal snowfall to date is 8.1" (20.5 cm). If we were to add in the Dec 26/27 storm (about 6" fell), the seasonal snowfall to date would be about 14".

The missing snowfall data for the downtown Toronto station is in the process of being added. Most of the dates are accounted for, except for the all-important Dec. 26/27 storm. Even without that storm, the seasonal snowfall to date is 8.1" (20.5 cm). If we were to add in the Dec 26/27 storm (about 6" fell), the seasonal snowfall to date would be about 14".

Yeah, I noticed that. You guys aren't doing too bad relatively speaking. I wish they'd get around to filling in the missing data from last winter from late December and early January.

Yeah, I noticed that. You guys aren't doing too bad relatively speaking. I wish they'd get around to filling in the missing data from last winter from late December and early January.

Hopefully they will. Even if they do, the winter of 2011-12 will still end up the least snowiest on record for downtown Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

With recent LES in Michigan, I was able to trim back my map that shows the areas that has not experienced a 3" snowfall yet! With these Clippers coming in, the northern area will likely slowly dissolve away. Further south, who knows...

With recent LES in Michigan, I was able to trim back my map that shows the areas that has not experienced a 3" snowfall yet! With these Clippers coming in, the northern area will likely slowly dissolve away. Further south, who knows...

attachicon.gifLowSnow.jpg

Nice map.  Our heaviest snowfall so far has been 3.7", which occurred 12/20.  I'm a little outside your shaded area, which is perfect.

Decent enough comeback for Muskegon (MKG). Season totals/departures through each date below...

Peak deficit was -42.6" on January 19. Also, nearing last season's total of 55.7".

January 1: 8.2" -27.8"

January 5: 8.6" -31.0"

January 10: 8.7" -35.4"

January 15: 9.0" -39.6"

January 20: 11.1" -42.0"

January 25: 35.3" -22.4"

January 30: 36.3" -25.9"

February 3: 50.9" -14.7"

Decent enough comeback for Muskegon (MKG). Season totals/departures through each date below...

Peak deficit was -42.6" on January 19. Also, nearing last season's total of 55.7".

January 1: 8.2" -27.8"

January 5: 8.6" -31.0"

January 10: 8.7" -35.4"

January 15: 9.0" -39.6"

January 20: 11.1" -42.0"

January 25: 35.3" -22.4"

January 30: 36.3" -25.9"

February 3: 50.9" -14.7"

VERY nice comback for Muskegan!

After a disastrous start (through 12/20), DTW is now in the green! Through Feb 3rd: 25.4" +0.6". We will be adding to this today and tomorrow.

I bet we wouldn't be in the green if the snow ratios of late were not so high.... I wonder how this snow ratios can skew the records. One cold month with high snow ratios can really add up the snow quick. I suppose one would have to look at liquid side of the chart too.

I bet we wouldn't be in the green if the snow ratios of late were not so high.... I wonder how this snow ratios can skew the records. One cold month with high snow ratios can really add up the snow quick. I suppose one would have to look at liquid side of the chart too.

Snow ratios have definitely been high this week. But it is what it is. It is but a fraction of what snow records in any lake snowbelt city see. I mean, when you look at records, liquid equivalents can show how fluffy or wet snow is, as snow depth can show settling. Of course this can balance out when an April snow drops 0.30" of liquid and 1" of snow.

Though we have only had 1 big snowstorm this winter, this winter has got to be a salt-truck drivers DREAM lol!

lol, what? High ratios skewing the record...

:facepalm:

lol, what? High ratios skewing the record...

:facepalm:

Actually whats funny....is that the barrage of fluffy snow we have seen the last 5 days has been among the easiest to measure that you'll ever get. Very little wind. Measure, swipe snowboard, measure again in 6 hours, etc. Some wind-driven snowfalls make a snowboard practically useless. In my opinion its the bigger storms (esp if accompanied by wind) that can literally skew the record.

When I think of skewing record I always think of that snowstorm in NYC some years back. Central Park came in with like 26" for one of their biggest storms ever, when all other reports nearby had like 18" or something like that, and every single person admitted that it was a horribly inflated total by NYC observers, some even going so far as to say it made up for all the times they lowballed. Or the Baltimore storm a few years ago where it got out that the observer measured every hour and cleared the board, and the NWS had to try and correct it a month later. I also think of the blizzard of '78. There isnt a seasoned observer out there who could measure that without doing their best guess, what with a hefty old snowpack to begin with and gale winds accompanying the snowstorm.

This is the area now that has failed to experience a 3.0" or greater snowfall in our subforum. Placed a polygon over the area Harry pointed out that has been on the margin in SC MI.

attachicon.gifLowSnow.jpg

Nice.  I was trying to find a way to make a map that could include all of our individual seasonal totals.  This would also include official ASOS sites.  I can't figure out a good way to do it though. 

Nice.  I was trying to find a way to make a map that could include all of our individual seasonal totals.  This would also include official ASOS sites.  I can't figure out a good way to do it though. 

If you were to use Google Earth, I would go and place push pins with snowfall measurements as labels and then do the best at drawing different colored lines or polygons around the corresponding totals.

If you were to use Google Earth, I would go and place push pins with snowfall measurements as labels and then do the best at drawing different colored lines or polygons around the corresponding totals.

Yeah I've thought of something like that, but I want something I can create and easily edit on a daily or bi-daily basis if at all possible.  There would probably be about 100 different values to plug in.  Would love to be able to develop something and formulate it to where I could just plug in the values and have them displayed graphically.  It's getting a bit late in the season now, but maybe by next season I'll be able to come with something like this that could work.  I think everyone in the forum would love something like this.

Yeah I've thought of something like that, but I want something I can create and easily edit on a daily or bi-daily basis if at all possible.  There would probably be about 100 different values to plug in.  Would love to be able to develop something and formulate it to where I could just plug in the values and have them displayed graphically.  It's getting a bit late in the season now, but maybe by next season I'll be able to come with something like this that could work.  I think everyone in the forum would love something like this.

I know I would love that!!!

Archived