northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe January we see winter again?

Adam and I were talking about some things that may be related to this in the philly subforum. I brought up the 30mb temperatures over the Equator which are uncharacteristically warm for a -QBO. Go there to get more info because I'm too lazy to rehash haha. I agree that you have to be skeptical about any west based -NAO solution through the rest of the month based on the stratosphere. The game is over in the Mid Atlantic basically. It is all about New England on the East Coast.

Well as a meteorologist, that does affect your life. Because thats your job.A normal joe shmo or weather enthusiats, its just a hobby. Why don't people get this animated when it rains? As meteorologists and weather nuts, we should get animated over everything, not just one thing.

:clap:

but snow sells

^^ bank on it. You got naming rights!

quick question for the Mt. Holly mets. I was curious to see if anyone from EM contacted your office for the Hazmat incident/ train derailment across the bridge throughout the week? If so, maybe you could give some highlighted points from the incident ie: how frequent were the updates, who you were in contact with, is it plausible for EM to contact your office directly during an incident as prolonged/large as this? Thanks in advance. If it's easier, you can shoot me a PM.

^^ bank on it. You got naming rights!

quick question for the Mt. Holly mets. I was curious to see if anyone from EM contacted your office for the Hazmat incident/ train derailment across the bridge throughout the week? If so, maybe you could give some highlighted points from the incident ie: how frequent were the updates, who you were in contact with, is it plausible for EM to contact your office directly during an incident as prolonged/large as this? Thanks in advance. If it's easier, you can shoot me a PM.

I don't work at Mt. Holly, and I have no idea if there was contact between the EM's at Paulsboro and Mt. Holly (though I'd bet good money that there was). However, I DO know that an Incident Meteorologist was dispatched to the scene:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/printable_all.php?pil=FWA&date=2012-12-03%2016:47:36

I don't work at Mt. Holly, and I have no idea if there was contact between the EM's at Paulsboro and Mt. Holly (though I'd bet good money that there was). However, I DO know that an Incident Meteorologist was dispatched to the scene:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/printable_all.php?pil=FWA&date=2012-12-03%2016:47:36

Thanks Ray. Looking to pass some info along in the dept. The ongoing incident with the derailment is a good refresher with for us, and i said i would ask around. Hopefully Tony or Mike can answer my other questions.

My office has been providing updates since the incident generally every few hours to the county EM. These have dropped off though the last few days as an NWS Incident Meteorologist from the Binghamton, NY office has arrived there. We are however issuing spot forecasts for the accident site to the Incident Meteorologist at least once a day. The information the county EM was mainly asking for was wind speed and direction and temperatures. Typically when a hazmat incident occurs we are called generally for wind and temperature information and sometimes asked about any precipitation. I hope this helps answer your questions.

My office has been providing updates since the incident generally every few hours to the county EM. These have dropped off though the last few days as an NWS Incident Meteorologist from the Binghamton, NY office has arrived there. We are however issuing spot forecasts for the accident site to the Incident Meteorologist at least once a day. The information the county EM was mainly asking for was wind speed and direction and temperatures. Typically when a hazmat incident occurs we are called generally for wind and temperature information and sometimes asked about any precipitation. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Mike, excellent info! 100% satisfied with those answers. We asked where we could get viable weather info other than our cell phone forecasts. Good to know we have a gov't agency we can contact in case $hit hits the fan. Thanks you for taking time to respond to this.

Mike, excellent info! 100% satisfied with those answers. We asked where we could get viable weather info other than our cell phone forecasts. Good to know we have a gov't agency we can contact in case $hit hits the fan. Thanks you for taking time to respond to this.

Here's the official directive on the subject, btw...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005018curr.pdf

Archived