Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would certainly prefer to have a torch period in December as climo is warmer anyways and our normal snow amounts are low to begin with. But my point really is that we have gone from a lot of respected mets saying early December looked good for cold......then it got pushed to post the 15th or so.... and now we've got at least 2 mets from our area ready to toss December altogether. The trend is definitely NOT our friend here. We really need longer-term guidance to start showing somewhat of a more favorable pattern or else we get a repeat of last winter.

haha could very well be...let me ask this to people what do you find better a december that is -3 temp wise with no snow or +3 with 5 inches of snow...the further you get into winter just normal temps can bring chances of snow. Are the chances for a big coastal high? no noy at all just isnt supportive of it. but if you get a swfe or a clipper in a timed cold airmass you have normal snowfall for dec...i think phl only averages like 3 inches of snow for dec which can be obtained if you have cold.near by and the right atorm track...if it doesnt work out then o well its just weather you cant control nor should you get ulset over it.

I would certainly prefer to have a torch period in December as climo is warmer anyways and our normal snow amounts are low to begin with. But my point really is that we have gone from a lot of respected mets saying early December looked good for cold......then it got pushed to post the 15th or so.... and now we've got at least 2 mets from our area ready to toss December altogether. The trend is definitely NOT our friend here. We really need longer-term guidance to start showing somewhat of a more favorable pattern or else we get a repeat of last winter.

You don't have to have well below normal temps to get snow.

yup because what comes next is the delayed but not denied pattern change by mid january kiss of death

This is just disconcerting......now HM is talking about January as being our next good chance.......killing winter already 2 weeks at a time.

:cry:

The snowiest stretch of winter (when we get 60% of our snow) is from January 10-February 20 on average.

I still don't understand why people get so bent out of shape if it doesn't snow.

When I was little (like, 9) it bothered me when we were forecast to get snow and we didn't. It was really depressing. I loved snow. But of course, we never had the long range outlooks like there are now on this board back then, so it was always a short-term forecast which would end up depressing me. Not an outlook for the next month.

Nowadays I get depressed if you guys get snow ;)

When I was little (like, 9) it bothered me when we were forecast to get snow and we didn't. It was really depressing. I loved snow. But of course, we never had the long range outlooks like there are now on this board back then, so it was always a short-term forecast which would end up depressing me. Not an outlook for the next month.

Nowadays I get depressed if you guys get snow ;)

lol hahaha...i just dont see why people lose sleep over it. I can see how landscapers would. But most cases if it doesn't snow its warm and they usually can do some work in the winter if its warm. I mean its something you can't control, so why beat yourself up over it. Their are so many other things in life to worry about and to be happy about than snow.

I love snow... And thunderstorms. If its not going to snow down here, it better up the poconos. I would like to ski actual powder,

Mother Nature made powder from the teet, with my new snowboard. Didnt get to last year.... That's my frustration.

Asking people why they love snow is like asking why folks get so upset when their baseball team wins or loses. To a non-baseball lover, a loss by the Phillies does not affect that person's health, wealth, or happiness. My love for snow, especially ginormous snowstorms depositing 25" of snow from a single storm, is irrational and cannot be explained.

Asking people why they love snow is like asking why folks get so upset when their baseball team wins or loses. To a non-baseball lover, a loss by the Phillies does not affect that person's health, wealth, or happiness. My love for snow, especially ginormous snowstorms depositing 25" of snow from a single storm, is irrational and cannot be explained.

Their is a difference. I enjoy snow to, wish i could live in an upslope area or off LES. But its people who get nasty or lets it affect their life that is disturbing. Granted it sucks when it doesn't, but am i going to lose sleep over it, heck no. Am i going to whine about why it wont snow, no. Im going to go about my life as i would normally do so with or without it.

lol hahaha...i just dont see why people lose sleep over it. I can see how landscapers would. But most cases if it doesn't snow its warm and they usually can do some work in the winter if its warm. I mean its something you can't control, so why beat yourself up over it. Their are so many other things in life to worry about and to be happy about than snow.

What snowlurker said. Being a weather fan, particularly a meteorologist, is like being a sportscaster. You try to predict what will happen even though you have no control, and you often want a certain outcome that often doesn't come to pass.

Their is a difference. I enjoy snow to, wish i could live in an upslope area or off LES. But its people who get nasty or lets it affect their life that is disturbing. Granted it sucks when it doesn't, but am i going to lose sleep over it, heck no. Am i going to whine about why it wont snow, no. Im going to go about my life as i would normally do so with or without it.

Yes, that is a bit much. But maybe some people on the board are 9 ;)

What snowlurker said. Being a weather fan, particularly a meteorologist, is like being a sportscaster. You try to predict what will happen even though you have no control, and you often want a certain outcome that often doesn't come to pass.

Well as a meteorologist, that does affect your life. Because thats your job.A normal joe shmo or weather enthusiats, its just a hobby. Why don't people get this animated when it rains? As meteorologists and weather nuts, we should get animated over everything, not just one thing.

people who get nasty or lets it affect their life that is disturbing. Granted it sucks when it doesn't, but am i going to lose sleep over it, heck no. Am i going to whine about why it wont snow, no. Im going to go about my life as i would normally do so with or without it.

Smart words there. (same goes for sports)

Smart words there. (same goes for sports)

Yea exactly. Like when a team loses the super bowl or soccer game their are riots some people get killed, is that really necessary lol? I understand the passionate aspect (basicaly Lee's favorite term with his involvement with lightning and getting epic shots) but their is a certain point where its just not healthy.

Yea exactly. Like when a team loses the super bowl or soccer game their are riots some people get killed, is that really necessary lol? I understand the passionate aspect (basicaly Lee's favorite term with his involvement with lightning and getting epic shots) but their is a certain point where its just not healthy.

Of course its not necessary, or rational, etc etc etc. But who said human beings were rational? ;)

I'll tell you, adam probably is loving this year. He gets hit with a tropical storm...the 2 snow events to affect the region never did anything but rained at his house, now we get this torch and he already has the football halfway in the air between the kicker and fieldgoal post for december.

and further more since you have had this i demand the weeklies be posted here every tues and thurs til march...signed the members of this forum.

My analogy wasn't exactly on point. It's more like when the Philly papers' preseason predictions call for the Flyers to go to the Eastern Conference finals (at least) because they signed a stud Russian netminder, Printer is healthy and Giroux is primed to break out with a great season. Folks start to get upset when their high expectations (season tickets mind you!) Are dashed when Pronger is hurt, the goalie loses his nerve and the team is on the bottom half of the conference.

My analogy wasn't exactly on point. It's more like when the Philly papers' preseason predictions call for the Flyers to go to the Eastern Conference finals (at least) because they signed a stud Russian netminder, Printer is healthy and Giroux is primed to break out with a great season. Folks start to get upset when their high expectations (season tickets mind you!) Are dashed when Pronger is hurt, the goalie loses his nerve and the team is on the bottom half of the conference.

did that all occur on that 2nd day of the season?

Archived