Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it possible though once the pv retreats back to the pole that a -nao could form? Or is the nao and ao basically a shared relationship?

They're highly correlated, but they don't always have to be the same direction (like now for example). What you'd really like to see if the PV retreats to the pole is a strong MJO push to buckle the mid-latitude flow. Otherwise, what else is there to block things up? Solar stuff, maybe, but I'm not too good there.

They're highly correlated, but they don't always have to be the same direction (like now for example). What you'd really like to see if the PV retreats to the pole is a strong MJO push to buckle the mid-latitude flow. Otherwise, what else is there to block things up? Solar stuff, maybe, but I'm not too good there.

need that stronger wave from the mjo in phase 8ish to occur as progged around christmas time to trend stronger if the scenario you stated happens.

Thanks for the clarification... I made it three years, but was starting to figure that was year four stuff. Makes perfect sense what you said. I thought I was missing something when I caught this earlier from Paul Pastelok...

"Well, for the first time in a while, I am starting to see signs of warming at the stratospheric level over the pole. The latest AO shows negative values through the 15-day period. But looking at the cross-section, you can see the beginning signs of warming. However, classic warming begins high then sinks in the stratosphere, forcing cold into the troposphere then eventually to the surface and midlatitudes but with a significant delay. This tells me the pattern will change mid-month"

And then Steve D...

"The observations from the stratosphere is the fact the the QBO is negative at both 30 MB and 50 MB, which allows for the transport of very warm air from the stratospheric tropical regions to the polar regions. This process is leading to a shift in the location of warm anomalies towards North America and away from Europe.

The second factor is the activity of the sun This is a wild card to watch for sure. The last time I saw a decrease in solar flare activity like this was 2009/10 winter period.

So for the final two weeks of December and much of January I’m expecting a far colder and stormier pattern for the eastern two thirds of the United States. The coldest conditions should be focused over the northern and central Plains, Ohio Valley, and Great Lakes. Look out for very stormy winter weather pattern for New England, Mid Atlantic, and portions of the Southeast."

Interesting stuff... but they don't usually hype and are pretty straightforward.

I'll try to post something tomorrow to illustrate I was talking about. Going to bed now. Night y'all

sounds good...i think i might make a thread on questions for meteorologists like explanations. For instance, if someone who doesn't grasp the mjo, would be good for someone who understands it or a met to help a novice out. I would like to know more about the QBO since i hear that being thrown around.

sounds good...i think i might make a thread on questions for meteorologists like explanations. For instance, if someone who doesn't grasp the mjo, would be good for someone who understands it or a met to help a novice out. I would like to know more about the QBO since i hear that being thrown around.

Absolutely... I second that... stratospheric influences on the troposphere for me is a weakness for sure. Would love to learn more about this.

I'll try to post something tomorrow to illustrate I was talking about. Going to bed now. Night y'all

When I'm talking about a wave 1 response, this is what I mean:

ecmwf50f120.gif

The polar vortex is shifted to the Western Hemisphere, with high heights and warm temperatures located in the Eastern Hemisphere. That's a "wave 1" pattern - where the PV gets dislodged from the pole. A wave 2 pattern has two areas of lower heights and two areas of higher heights. This pattern is also sometimes referred to as vortex splitting. Right now, we have a wave 2 pattern, but it's not classic, with the heights over the North Atlantic muted.

ecmwf50a12.gif

Here are the current stratospheric temps in the polar region. There is warm up expected this week with the wave 1 response, but it's not a SSW and it's not going to be long lasting.

temps.gif

What's more interesting is that the E-P flux vectors are pointed poleward around mid-month, but they aren't pointed upward, so I'm not sure we'll see serious vortex disruption through mid-month.

fluxes.gif

I can't post the images here because they are from a paysite, but the Euro ensemble shows the polar vortex retreating the pole by mid-month. The good news is that the heights associated with it aren't particularly low, but that would still indicate a return to a +AO base state, if it occurs.

When I'm talking about a wave 1 response, this is what I mean:

ecmwf50f120.gif

The polar vortex is shifted to the Western Hemisphere, with high heights and warm temperatures located in the Eastern Hemisphere. That's a "wave 1" pattern - where the PV gets dislodged from the pole. A wave 2 pattern has two areas of lower heights and two areas of higher heights. This pattern is also sometimes referred to as vortex splitting. Right now, we have a wave 2 pattern, but it's not classic, with the heights over the North Atlantic muted.

ecmwf50a12.gif

Here are the current stratospheric temps in the polar region. There is warm up expected this week with the wave 1 response, but it's not a SSW and it's not going to be long lasting.

temps.gif

What's more interesting is that the E-P flux vectors are pointed poleward around mid-month, but they aren't pointed upward, so I'm not sure we'll see serious vortex disruption through mid-month.

fluxes.gif

I can't post the images here because they are from a paysite, but the Euro ensemble shows the polar vortex retreating the pole by mid-month. The good news is that the heights associated with it aren't particularly low, but that would still indicate a return to a +AO base state, if it occurs.

whats causing the heights over north america to be muted? Is it the lack of any mjo forcing?

whats causing the heights over north america to be muted? Is it the lack of any mjo forcing?

I don't have a great answer for you outside of that the wave 2 forcing originated over Europe and there wasn't a real strong signal for it over the Pacific at the same time. That's why this was only a moderate wave 2 signal (see some of HM's posts in the Winter 2012-13 thread in SNE from mid-November) versus a strong signal.

Archived