• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

I don't quite understand the question, could you rephrase?

lol which would you rather not lose...your car or your weather station... i just envision you as someone who flocks to their weather station as soon as he gets home from work to see all the dailies lol. then just stands out in front of it like its niagra falls in the state of awe,

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol which would you rather not lose...your car or your weather station... i just envision you as someone who flocks to their weather station as soon as he gets home from work to see all the dailies lol. then just stands out in front of it like its niagra falls in the state of awe,

Why do I need to wait til I get home? :lol:

Obviously I need a car, and the Prius is much more expensive than the weather station, so I'd keep the Prius and give up the weather station. There is an ASOS 2 miles away, after all ;)

Why do I need to wait til I get home? :lol:

Obviously I need a car, and the Prius is much more expensive than the weather station, so I'd keep the Prius and give up the weather station. There is an ASOS 2 miles away, after all ;)

hahaah Ray, you could use your weather station as a pick up line for women. Something like "would you like to see how long my pole is that i have my anemometer mounted to"

Asking people why they love snow is like asking why folks get so upset when their baseball team wins or loses. To a non-baseball lover, a loss by the Phillies does not affect that person's health, wealth, or happiness. My love for snow, especially ginormous snowstorms depositing 25" of snow from a single storm, is irrational and cannot be explained.

Well said. I will still get frustrated if the phillies lose the opening series... Logic does not have a part in it.

Okay Mr. analogy-killer, you win.

hahaah, i see your pt.. If this was mid january i would say definite. But we are 3 days into december. Lets just let things play out. Even in the worse winters we always get a winter storm of some degree. Like last yr, we had a couple 1-3-2-4 events. For me, winter isnt over till presidents day. Once past that im done.

hahaah Ray, you could use your weather station as a pick up line for women. Something like "would you like to see how long my pole is that i have my anemometer mounted to"

Or you could use it to get women jealous, "My girlfriend back home is real tall, she spins like crazy up top, purrs like a kitten, and she's very tough, taking on the elements daily for her job."

I'll tell you, adam probably is loving this year. He gets hit with a tropical storm...the 2 snow events to affect the region never did anything but rained at his house, now we get this torch and he already has the football halfway in the air between the kicker and fieldgoal post for december.

and further more since you have had this i demand the weeklies be posted here every tues and thurs til march...signed the members of this forum.

:lol:

I still don't understand why people get so bent out of shape if it doesn't snow.

I don't get bent of shape when it doesn't snow. We just don't get much on seasonal level. However, when it does, there's a different energy when snow is on the ground. I mean, the nights are brighter (at least in rural areas) then when there's not snow on the ground and that provides a for a less depressing mood then just the brown and dark. Even when there's a new moon, there's still some light/reflection coming off the snowpack.

In Sweden, above the arctic circle where I was last winter, there's less depression in areas where there's a winter-long snowpack versus areas to the south, like Stockholm where a winter long snowpack is not common.

no you are right, cause they are talking about it in sne forum about nice -nao with weak -pna.

Yep. I'm skeptical of the -nao, to be honest. Verbatim, it's torch, warm, neutral, neutral for the next four weeks. If you don't get the -nao like modeled, it could be above to well above through New Years

I don't get bent of shape when it doesn't snow. We just don't get much on seasonal level. However, when it does, there's a different energy when snow is on the ground. I mean, the nights are brighter (at least in rural areas) then when there's not snow on the ground and that provides a for a less depressing mood then just the brown and dark. Even when there's a new moon, there's still some light/reflection coming off the snowpack.

In Sweden, above the arctic circle where I was last winter, there's less depression in areas where there's a winter-long snowpack versus areas to the south, like Stockholm where a winter long snowpack is not common.

i could definitely see that. If their is only a couple of hours of sunlight like in stockholm probably, their better be snow.

Yep. I'm skeptical of the -nao, to be honest. Verbatim, it's torch, warm, neutral, neutral for the next four weeks. If you don't get the -nao like modeled, it could be above to well above through New Years

I am right there with you... as shown verbatim, it would be a hell of a week right before Christmas. But almost unbelievable. Like eye candy in the 300+ range on the GFS unbelievable...

Glad I was looking at the correct monthly control run. Haha thanks Tombo for checking on that for me. Mobile works when it wants to on the platinum StormVista.

Is it a legit nao, west based? or is it a east based pull the football out from when you are ready to kick nao?

Normal this time of year can bring chances of wintry weather...i just hope the mjo gets a kick in the arse some time soon. Per roundy map, looks like some increased convection wants to fire the week leading into christmas. The rocky mtn torq supports a -nao. But the himlayian torque suggests a zonal pattern is here to stay for a while. Any forecasts of + pna that isnt transient is very suspect.

West based, but doesn't agree with what I'm seeing up in the stratosphere, which is why I'm skeptical

Please make some sense of this for me, I studied operational meteorology but didn't fully complete. So either I missed the stratospheric discussions or wasn't paying much attention. I am hearing there are signs at 30mb and 50mb that a SSW is forthcoming from seemingly legit sources, but not sure if it is legit or hype. Is there actual observed data right now to support the stratospheric warming over the pole region or that it will propagate to the surface?

Nah, it's not an SSW. There is wave 1 response likely, which will keep blocking in the WPO region, but should tend to make the NAO more zonal. If the PV retreats the pole, that would tend to cause a +AO.

P. S. Don't worry about not being well acclimated with the stratosphere. I didn't even learn it in grad school. I taught myself from reading the board and searching for journal articles.

Nah, it's not an SSW. There is wave 1 response likely, which will keep blocking in the WPO region, but should tend to make the NAO more zonal. If the PV retreats the pole, that would tend to cause a +AO.

P. S. Don't worry about not being well acclimated with the stratosphere. I didn't even learn it in grad school. I taught myself from reading the board and searching for journal articles.

is it possible though once the pv retreats back to the pole that a -nao could form? Or is the nao and ao basically a shared relationship?

Archived