Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

metfan..i mean snow88' was saying the weeklies came in with a 93-94ish type pattern.

[sarcasm]Why would you listen to metfan's descriptions of a pattern[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, I'm not a big analog guy, I'm a synoptician. So whenever the analog brigade starts showing up telling us what 1955 looked like in NYC, I just kinda shrug and go away. It doesn't tell me anything about why a pattern looks the way it does or what the primary forcing mechanisms are, so it's not intellectually stimulating to me. That's a roundabout way of saying I haven't a clue what the 1993-94 pattern looked like.

How much stock can we reasonably put into the Euro weeklies beyond week two though? Seems like the latter weeks flip quite a bit, but as would be expected, shorter term is more consistent.

Yeah, clearly Weeks 3 and 4 need to be taken with a grain of salt. I use them if they line up with other intraseasonal variables I'm considering.

93-94'

That winter I had a 3 foot depth of ice on the sidewalk had 8 hours to clear it per local police because of some complaints but the apartment complex was not told to remove it but us only on the corner. It was the townships fault for plowing it onto the damn sidewalk and it all froze over, radnor has a problem where they plow all the way onto the fricken sidewalks worse then any other area around.

[sarcasm]Why would you listen to metfan's descriptions of a pattern[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, I'm not a big analog guy, I'm a synoptician. So whenever the analog brigade starts showing up telling us what 1955 looked like in NYC, I just kinda shrug and go away. It doesn't tell me anything about why a pattern looks the way it does or what the primary forcing mechanisms are, so it's not intellectually stimulating to me. That's a roundabout way of saying I haven't a clue what the 1993-94 pattern looked like.

Weak positive ENSO, positive NAO.

what mechanism brought the cold then? Was their a big pna ridge?

PNA averaged negative (-.80). So no.

The EP/NP listed in the chart... maybe that's not the same thing as the EPO. CPC doesn't list a typical correlation for January, describing it as a spring/summer/fall pattern only, but for the spring, summer and fall, the EP/NP correlates negatively with eastern North America temps. In other words, positive EP/NP (as occurred in January 1994) means cold.

The East Atlantic West Russia pattern was the other strong index, which correlates positively to eastern North America temps in January. In other words, positive means warm, negative means cold. EA/WR was negative in January 1994.

This lists daily values for EPO, which if you average all the days together, turns out negative (-64). http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/epo.daily not sure if that's how you are supposed to calculate the average for the month, though.

PNA averaged negative (-.80). So no.

The EP/NP listed in the chart... maybe that's not the same thing as the EPO. CPC doesn't list a typical correlation for January, describing it as a spring/summer/fall pattern only, but for the spring, summer and fall, the EP/NP correlates negatively with eastern North America temps. In other words, positive EP/NP (as occurred in January 1994) means cold.

The East Atlantic West Russia pattern was the other strong index, which correlates positively to eastern North America temps in January. In other words, positive means warm, negative means cold. EA/WR was negative in January 1994.

This lists daily values for EPO, which if you average all the days together, turns out negative (-64). http://www.esrl.noaa...ation/epo.daily not sure if that's how you are supposed to calculate the average for the month, though.

EP/NP is the inverse of EPO (negative EP = positive EPO, and vice versa)

I did a monthly analog match-up for the EPO on my still-unfinished teleconnections page: http://madusweather....eleconnections/

Specifically, here's the -EPO (+EP/NP) for January:

EPOnew_neg_01jan.png

EP/NP is the inverse of EPO (negative EP = positive EPO, and vice versa)

I did a monthly analog match-up for the EPO on my still-unfinished teleconnections page: http://madusweather....eleconnections/

Specifically, here's the -EPO (+EP/NP) for January:

EPOnew_neg_01jan.png

Well, that's helpful.

Looking at the map, either the EPO was extreme or it had help, since PHL was -6. TTN was -7.

No mention yet in this thread, but slight mention of some freezing drizzle up this way overnight. Probably limited to northern Northampton/Lehigh counties and upwards to southern Poconos and NW NJ, but I guess something to watch. Currently 33.7° here.

33.6° here in Bangor. Watching the returns to see if we might get a bit of -SN tonight. Thin overcast at the moment.

Archived