• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

It appears to mature/phase/whatever a tad too early for this to be a primarily snow event, and the antecedent airmass wasn't as cold this run. Warm air aloft is able to advect into our area. Most of us still see some snow, however.

A slightly later phase = stronger CCB at our latitude.

This thing feels like its going to go right down to the wire with all the slight differences from run to run from all the models. Huge differences in sensible weather for sure.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing feels like its going to go right down to the wire with all the slight differences from run to run from all the models. Huge differences in sensible weather for sure.

Yeah. It might even come down to nowcasting, meaning it would come down to who sits in the heavier banding vs just lighter precip. We're going to need the dynamics to overcome the WAA aloft and initially warm BL. Though I don't think our BL problems are really that bad considering how DRY this airmass is.

Maybe a hair faster but most models have had the best forcing between 21 and 06z and the RGEM seems decently in agreement with that.

I feel like its between 15z and 00z now, though. Once you get past 00z, the warm air above the BL begins to creep in.

I'm really not too concerned about the BL, to be quite honest. When saturated, our BL will cool readily considering how dry this airmass is.

But sleet and waning dynamics does concern me, though.

I feel like its between 15z and 00z now, though. Once you get past 00z, the warm air above the BL begins to creep in.

I'm really not too concerned about the BL, to be quite honest. When saturated, our BL will cool readily considering how dry this airmass is.

But sleet and waning dynamics does concern me, though.

That's what happened at the end of October last year with the models underestimating the WAA above 900 mb and

breaks between the bands.

Most of the trees that came down during Sandy in my area were pine trees. Makes sense, as they don't drop leafs and are tall and thin, thus making them more susceptible to the wind. As I look out my office window in Ramsey, I would say more than 75% of the trees have at least some foliage left. A few inches of wet snow compounded by gusts to storm force is going to put a lot of folks back in the dark.

The GFS is worse for the winds than the NAM with 60 mph or higher gusts closer to NYC Metro.

The winds and fetch for the waves/surge is what we precisely DO NOT need for coastal areas. I know for a fact that most beaches are practically defenseless after being ravaged by Sandy and flooding will be a major concern once more, along with new power outages and downed trees. Debris flying around will also be a concern. These stronger/tucked in solutions are horrible news.

With the jog west most models have now brought back the higher winds which hug the coast during the height of the storm...not an exciting thing to see.

The winds and fetch for the waves/surge is what we precisely DO NOT need for coastal areas. I know for a fact that most beaches are practically defenseless after being ravaged by Sandy and flooding will be a major concern once more, along with new power outages and downed trees. Debris flying around will also be a concern. These stronger/tucked in solutions are horrible news.

Agreed. This would be the absolute worst time for stronger winds further west. We'll see if the Euro comes in more like the NAM or GFS.

Heavy wet snow and storm force winds with trees weakened and leaves still on them is not a good combo. Excited to see snow but I don't want to lose power

The northerly and stable wind component over land (areas that will see snow) will be the saving grace there. The gusty winds aloft are much more likely to mix down over the immediate shores with a NE wind direction (still not good).

Archived