Newest Member
    vokive3692
11/7 Noreaster Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not to mention, the ratios wouldnt be 10;1, prob more of a 5:1

Wasn't the break point last year for trees with leaves about 3 inches? Even at 5:1 that still creates problems around here for trees that still have leaves. Of course if it were to verify. Not getting my hopes up.

lol. Sorry tongue.png

Meh but I screwed up the end of October in terms of the phasing potential in the long range. It wasn't that the -AO, buckling, colder air etc. was missed or even the heightened tropical development risk was missed...I think we all got that right. I guess you just can't forecast something like frankenstorm months in advance and be taken seriously.

if euro verifies its a good thing sandy came through knocking down the remaining leaves otherwise it would be a repeat to last yr power outages up this way.

but then again do many trees have weakened roots due to sandy's wind/rain?

Down here in Delco there is a good amount of trees with leaves still on them.

if euro verifies its a good thing sandy came through knocking down the remaining leaves otherwise it would be a repeat to last yr power outages up this way.

but then again do many trees have weakened roots due to sandy's wind/rain?

Unless people weren't being honest, from what everyone said there was an earlier peak this year than last, and this storm is later, so no matter what it wouldn't have been "as bad".

I have 850-500RH/VV from the euro, and it pegs a great area near PHL to just east of DCA. As of now, that would be my sweet spot and obviously some of those 500'+ hills would make out awesome.

In regards to temps, the 850mb low position and temps would argue for a wet snow closer to the coast than previously advertised?

I have 850-500RH/VV from the euro, and it pegs a great area near PHL to just east of DCA. As of now, that would be my sweet spot and obviously some of those 500'+ hills would make out awesome.

Thanks man, I wonder if this would be the first time this area has had a tropical storm and then accumulating snow within 2 weeks ;) lol.

Off hand what are some of Philly's biggest Nov snowfalls, especifically before mid-month? Anyone?

I guess this just furthers my point lol

I should qualify that by saying that the ratio matters A LOT. 1-2 inches of very low ratio slop falling at a fast rate, as happened last October, will start taking down branches. A light fluffy 1-2 inches will hardly matter at all.

Unless people weren't being honest, from what everyone said there was an earlier peak this year than last, and this storm is later, so no matter what it wouldn't have been "as bad".

It was earlier by 7-10 days, good thing too because Sandy would have caused way more destruction in SE PA had our trees had more leaves on them. Luckily they didn't and it was mainly pines that took a beating.

Last year the breaking point was 4-5 inches of snow on trees that had lots of leaves.

nah, it was more than that. 3-4" was about right in the LV. I'm talking widespread, and not occasional weak branches.

Yeah, I should've qualified that by mentioning the ratio. You probably had higher ratios up there than I did down at TTN. I started to hear snapping branches not long after we passed 1 inch. But we had a ridiculously low ratio... 3 or 4 to 1.

In regards to temps, the 850mb low position and temps would argue for a wet snow closer to the coast than previously advertised?

It's gonna depend on how this low wraps up and where. I expect a 50-80 mile wide band of heavy precip rates where it probably will flip to snow. As Adam said, the question is where, not really if or when.

Thanks man, I wonder if this would be the first time this area has had a tropical storm and then accumulating snow within 2 weeks wink.png lol.

Off hand what are some of Philly's biggest Nov snowfalls, especifically before mid-month? Anyone?

The big one was Nov 6-7, 1953. Low path was not that different than current, execpt it continued NW into N NJ. . Phl - 9", Millville 15" Lancaster 18"Wilmington 12", Lock Haven 30".

Archived