• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
11/7 Noreaster Thread

Rib

I haven't really seen euro snow output for Eastern Pa. But I've heard it's not much. How does DC show 6-9" while most of the cities at or slightly above sea level. The highest point of the city is 410 feet. But alot of the area in berks, Lehigh, and carbon counties are above 600 feet. This would be an elevation event no?

EURO doesn't show much snow for us because of the orientation of the deform zone. It puts the heaviest precip over DC/BALT Check it out here..Once the low moves farther N it starts to lose its "juice". I personally think it will bomb out farther N to help us.

post-8091-0-40848500-1352118606_thumb.gi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nor'easter. The Euro adiabatically cools the column across DC because that's where the def band/frontogenesis/best UVVs set up. I think it is probably overdone, but stronger rates are more important than elevation in the Euro solution because it's a colder solution. Elevation matters more in the GFS, where it's not as a cold overall, and 600' isn't going to get it done if the GFS verifies.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense!!!

I haven't really seen euro snow output for Eastern Pa. But I've heard it's not much. How does DC show 6-9" while most of the cities at or slightly above sea level. The highest point of the city is 410 feet. But alot of the area in berks, Lehigh, and carbon counties are above 600 feet. This would be an elevation event no?

Just stating the cause, not whether I agree with the DC output or not, the Euro brings in warm air off the ocean into NJ & PA and DC stays longitudinally too far west and remains in the pivot/deformation zone.

EURO doesn't show much snow for us because of the orientation of the deform zone. It puts the heaviest precip over DC/BALT Check it out here..Once the low moves farther N it starts to lose its "juice". I personally think it will bomb out farther N to help us.

post-8091-0-40848500-1352118606_thumb.gi

Only thing in concerned about is wasn't the euro showing 10" of rain in the Lehigh valley for Sandy? We got what an inch

Only thing in concerned about is wasn't the euro showing 10" of rain in the Lehigh valley for Sandy? We got what an inch

It might have for a run or two a week out but it more often than not had heavier precipitation south of Philly once it got within 5 days.

Definitely wasn't the Euro. Euro showed 3-5" for the Lehigh Valley, and Lehigh County area got 3.25". Don't know about Northampton. That's a pretty good forecast. I think the northern solutions (GFS) likely showed more for the LV, but since I didn't believe its solution, I didn't look too closely at its precip map.

OT But an earthquake hit NJ early this morning.

http://www.foxnews.c...-in-wake-sandy/

There was an earthquake a few days before Sandy.. Hmmm

Correlation is not causation. Completely unrelated.

Not true. I recall the NYC forum screaming about the Euro sharp precip cutoff in that area to the tune of about an inch precip. I think they got close to that amount.

Yeah, I don't remember exact details a week out, but by the time I did the radio show Thursday night (4 days before landfall), the synoptics were well forecasted and correct.

Not true. I recall the NYC forum screaming about the Euro sharp precip cutoff in that area to the tune of about an inch precip. I think they got close to that amount.

Ok I apologize, I tried digging to find the total rainfall at LV airport, came up blank. All I remember is NBC 10 and WFMZ saying we got less than 2" lol

Euro was outputiting 4-6" rain for sandy in lehigh valley it had sharp gradient

Damn I hate 3G

I recall the 3-4" line and the 4-6" line bisecting the LV in a SE to NW manner, so that's why I say 3-5". In actuality, the main rain shield tended to be on a ESE to WNW track and supressed slightly, so that the areas further north and east in the LV got a significant dry slot. I know western areas of the valley met actual Mount Holly forecast amounts, which I also believe were 3-5". Doesn't really matter though. I thought from days out the Euro solution turned out fairly accurate.

Ok I apologize, I tried digging to find the total rainfall at LV airport, came up blank. All I remember is NBC 10 and WFMZ saying we got less than 2" lol

No need to apologize. I can imagine the LV airport had less than 3". I was looking at wunderground amounts further west along Rt 100. Fairly uniform amounts over the 3 day period of about 3.25".

No need to apologize. I can imagine the LV airport had less than 3". I was looking at wunderground amounts further west along Rt 100. Fairly uniform amounts over the 3 day period of about 3.25".

It wasn't easy because of so many stations being down during the storm, but I found a station in Whitehall (probably a few miles from the airport) that shows 1.41" during the entire event, whereas ten miles away in the Lower Macungie area, they had 3.25". Huge difference across the valley, and the real takeaway is that this gradient was well forecasted by the Euro. As you can imagine, no model can pinpoint a ten mile wide gradient 4 days out.

It wasn't easy because of so many stations being down during the storm, but I found a station in Whitehall (probably a few miles from the airport) that shows 1.41" during the entire event, whereas ten miles away in the Lower Macungie area, they had 3.25". Huge difference across the valley, and the real takeaway is that this gradient was well forecasted by the Euro. As you can imagine, no model can pinpoint a ten mile wide gradient 4 days out.

Yes I'm a little north of Whitehall.

Just heard on the radio parts of jersey not expecting power till thanksgiving. That's awful. Hopefully this storm doesn't hamper any efforts

Archived