• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy - Model and Medium Range Discussion

I think it would be beneficial to everyone when someone posts model ouput if the following information is also provided.

1) MB at landfall

2) Winds at landfall (MPH) sustained and gusts

3) Amount of Rainfall with an x amount of time around landfall.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions on this board that because that low is at x millibars the winds must be at x mph or a Cat x Hurricane, etc.

Thoughts?

Tom Smykowski: It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

Items 2 and 3 won't be anything more than educated guesses at this point. 3 especially.

I rather have educated ones than some of the uneducated ones ive seen on here in the past day. Im sure the models output wind speeds though.

Is this thread for posterity's sake in terms of posting the many AFD's, extended forecasts, etc. for ALL NWS offices, local and national?

Because I have been surfing around many of the NWS local websites and ALOT of the discussions are WELL worth saving.

eg from NWS BUF:

HURRICANE SANDY WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE UP THE EAST COAST LATE THIS

WEEK AND THIS WEEKEND. THOUGH THE HURRICANE WILL WEAKEN IN THE

HIGHER LATITUDES...ITS INTERACTION WITH AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MAY

LEAD TO A POWERFUL STORM SYSTEM FOR THE EAST COAST. THIS STORM SYSTEM

MAY TURN BACK WESTWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHERN MID ATLANTIC REGION OR

DELMARVA PENINSULA EARLY NEXT WEEK. THERE CONTINUES TO BE GREAT

UNCERTAINTY ABOUT THE TRACK OF THIS COMPLEX STORM...WITH THE TRACK

DIRECTLY IMPACTING THE LOCAL IMPACTS HERE IN WESTERN AND NORTH

CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE LOW CONFIDENCE BUT HIGH IMPACT SCENARIO

COULD INCLUDE THE POTENTIAL FOR PROLONGED HEAVY RAIN CAUSING

LOCALIZED FLOODING...RISK FOR STRONG WINDS...AND EVEN THE RISK FOR

HEAVY WET SNOW ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN NEW YORK.

STAY TUNED FOR LATER FORECASTS AND POSSIBLE STATEMENTS.

How many times are you going to see heavy wet snow and hurricane in the same LOCAL hazardous outlook statement??? There are many more eye popping releases across the country....it'd be nice to have them all in one thread.

I rather have educated ones than some of the uneducated ones ive seen on here in the past day. Im sure the models output wind speeds though.

Determing wind gusts at any particular location from a model is next to impossible. Take for instance Hurricane Ernesto from 2006. Went well west into PA and became extratropical, but Somers Point NJ still had guts to 80mph.

Is this thread for posterity's sake in terms of posting the many AFD's, extended forecasts, etc. for ALL NWS offices, local and national?

Because I have been surfing around many of the NWS local websites and ALOT of the discussions are WELL worth saving.

How many times are you going to see heavy wet snow and hurricane in the same LOCAL hazardous outlook statement???

Even LMK has had good AFDs on the storm despite how far away the OV is from the main impact area.

That may be the case in the sub forum threads. The main page model thread has been rather benign and clean to this point and we would like to keep it that way.

If you read as many red tag posts as possible on this board, your questions above will be answered. I've seen many venture very reasonable guesses with great thought behind them. I personally do not read guesses by 98% of the amateurs on here, and neither should you.

eg from NWS BUF:

HURRICANE SANDY WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE UP THE EAST COAST LATE THIS

WEEK AND THIS WEEKEND. THOUGH THE HURRICANE WILL WEAKEN IN THE

HIGHER LATITUDES...ITS INTERACTION WITH AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MAY

LEAD TO A POWERFUL STORM SYSTEM FOR THE EAST COAST. THIS STORM SYSTEM

MAY TURN BACK WESTWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHERN MID ATLANTIC REGION OR

DELMARVA PENINSULA EARLY NEXT WEEK. THERE CONTINUES TO BE GREAT

UNCERTAINTY ABOUT THE TRACK OF THIS COMPLEX STORM...WITH THE TRACK

DIRECTLY IMPACTING THE LOCAL IMPACTS HERE IN WESTERN AND NORTH

CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE LOW CONFIDENCE BUT HIGH IMPACT SCENARIO

COULD INCLUDE THE POTENTIAL FOR PROLONGED HEAVY RAIN CAUSING

LOCALIZED FLOODING...RISK FOR STRONG WINDS...AND EVEN THE RISK FOR

HEAVY WET SNOW ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN NEW YORK.

STAY TUNED FOR LATER FORECASTS AND POSSIBLE STATEMENTS.

How many times are you going to see heavy wet snow and hurricane in the same LOCAL hazardous outlook statement??? There are many more eye popping releases across the country....it'd be nice to have them all in one thread.

With LEK leading the way, I would post this from the Mount Holly briefing early today. Very sobering in several respects (wind, rain, flooding, coastal effects):

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/briefing/packages/current_briefing.pdf

Guest Imperator

That may be the case in the sub forum threads. The main page model thread has been rather benign and clean to this point and we would like to keep it that way.

Agreed, and I apologize in advance if I offended anyone. I guess my concern is based indeed on some of the jobberish in the sub forums. As an old new poster here, I think its best to keep my head above the water in the more professional threads here, like this one.

The GFS' initialisation of Sandy 20 mb higher than actual intensity is really starting to annoy me.

At least its not as bad as Dean/Felix in 07

I still just dont believe these min SLPs I am seeing. I am tending to fade the sub 960 at landfall, just because I have never seen anything like that before. Given the unprecedented coupling of the jet streaks, I guess it is possible, but I would rather lean the other way for now. Still, that is no reason to downplay the magnitude of what we are seeing.

I swear the Euro had Irene as 920mb into DC at one point. Granted, the number of model solutions showing sub 955 is just disturbing...

Archived