• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Sandy - Model and Medium Range Discussion

Same here! Been collecting weather data for 16 years and whenever a weather system/event is news worthy, I save the article(s). For this storm I have been saving model maps and projections. - See how it all comes out in the end!

Working to much to be able to do that, with all that you have saved I hope you do a post storm analysis, I would be particularly interested on what the forecast models predicted from say 7 days out to land fall. I would of course expect the ECMWF to be the most consistent with the track, followed closely by (A Big GULP) the NOGAPS. It will be interesting to see what model intensity verifies, like I said I like the NOGAPS, most models have been way to strong with the central low pressure as it comes ashore for the last couple of years. Case in point...Irene

Edit: of course will all know the floods from Irene, sure the impact was huge, but if I remember right, the low pressure turned out to be a lot higher than model output, even 24hrs in advance.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm is why people go into meteorology, just once during my lifetime could I put out a forecast for a storm of this magnitude. Forecasters looking at all the models runs are starting to say it was worth the expense, even if I'm not on TV lol. By the way I am a weather junkie, I could have become a met if it weren't for the heavy math and calculus that were involved in it.

Its true. I am still in school, and done with the calculus by the way! But anyway if it weren't for my obligations here I'd be on the next plane out there to watch it up close. Its just what people like us do. :)

Current SLP readings from Sandy are considerably lower than the vast majority of the models. The HWRF is the only one I've seen that's spot on and it has a 935mb landfall via gradual deepening. It does have a landfall that's quite far north, though.

Looks like the global's 950mb landfall values are underdone, given the current SLP of 959mb. If they're off on the pressure, they'll be significantly off on the winds as well.

Uncharted territory indeed. This is why I got into meteorology. Mother Nature's ability to throw curveballs never ceases to amaze.

Current SLP readings from Sandy are considerably lower than the vast majority of the models. The HWRF is the only one I've seen that's spot on and it has a 935mb landfall via gradual deepening. It does have a landfall that's quite far north, though.

Looks like the global's 950mb landfall values are underdone, given the current SLP of 959mb. If they're off on the pressure, they'll be significantly off on the winds as well.

Uncharted territory indeed. This is why I got into meteorology. Mother Nature's ability to throw curveballs never ceases to amaze.

It's hard to compare minimum pressures to the output of global models due to the coarse resolution, but I totally agree this is uncharted territory. Incredible that we have a system with a minimum pressure in the 950s and most of the deepening is still to come.

It's hard to compare minimum pressures to the output of global models due to the coarse resolution, but I totally agree this is uncharted territory. Incredible that we have a system with a minimum pressure in the 950s and most of the deepening is still to come.

This is very true. But even among the high-res models, this still holds. None of the SREF members are really that close (>10mb off) and I still can't find any high-res models (again besides the HWRF) that are close. Even the normally overzealous GFDL is significantly higher (granted we're not dealing with a pure TC anymore).

Apoca-GFS now heads into central NJ with full tropical characteristics intact, 582 dm thickness accompanies 956 mb center to coast.

Notice how far west the high thicknesses are pushed back on this run into ne PA and central NY. This would imply mega-heavy rainfalls pushing back to west all through Monday night and Tuesday, 65-70 F saturated air mass on wicked east winds into Long Island Sound, n NJ.

Guessing this will mean GEM will show another incredible coastal solution (the RGEM takes a wide swing to 48h). Not as likely from my experience to keep as high a thickness pattern to the bitter end, which could mean even more explosive end game towards landfall.

Public safety implication here is that GFS signals major disaster potential NJ, se NY and CT, rainfall high impacts for PA. This solution pushes the snowstorm concept to the southern margins of the precip wraparound albeit very heavy potential there.

Frankly these are looking like thousand-year return maps.

Perhaps someone can answer this: seeing as how I'm currently located on the backend of this system, should I be concerned about accumulating snowfall? I know they are predicting some for the mountains above say 2,500 ft., while I sit at just over 1,000 ft. Immediately I'm thinking this is just going to be a cold rain; what would it take to cool the surface enough to drop the snow level down to say, sea level? Just an extremely deep area of pressure to wrap in cold air from the North?

I just don't really know what to prepare for at this time. It doesn't seem like most mets out here know, either.

I guess its Locked and Loaded and has the general Landfall location pretty much pin pointed. NHC will be issuing the watches i take it soon?

From latest NHC discussion:

NOTE THAT WIND HAZARDS FOR SANDY NORTH OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING

AREA ARE BEING HANDLED BY HIGH WIND...STORM...AND GALE WATCHES AND

WARNINGS ISSUED BY LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICES. GALE

CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY TO FIRST REACH THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BY LATE

SUNDAY.

check out the wave forecast for buoy 44017 just south of the western tip of LI.

http://polar.ncep.no...ti_1.44017.bull

the column titled HST is significant wave height. it is showing 10.24 meters or 33.5 feet.

Edit: you can find other buoy info here:

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/viewer.shtml?-multi_1-latest-US_eastcoast-hs-

Archived