Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Hurricane Sandy - Model and Medium Range Discussion

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this in other thread....NHC will continue with TS and Hurricane watches and warnings :

The NHC director just tweeted that they will continue tropical warnings up the coast even after the transition. I think Mount Holly needs to recognize. New Jerseyans won't bat an eye at a high wind warning, we get one after every cold front in the fall.

I'm still hearing conflicting reports that confirm that they will not issue any products. Hopefully the media call that is going on now will clarify this policy. Personally, I think they should issue, but thats just me.

I agree the NHC is making a semi-big mistake here handing it off if they truely are. People will just turn their backs on it and tune it out if they dont hear it clearly.

I'm still hearing conflicting reports that confirm that they will not issue any products. Hopefully the media call that is going on now will clarify this policy. Personally, I think they should issue, but thats just me.

If this is true, they need to get their acts in order. (not just NHC...whoever else is engaging the drama)

No time for kindergarten stuff now.

or at-least wait till after the storm..

I have noticed that the movement of Sandy is faster and somewhat farther west than what the operational GFS and ECMWF models have been indicating. This trend might indicate less of a full phase and a higher probability of steady filling over the next 24 to 36 hours (likely into the low 970s), followed by gradual deepening to about 955-960 mb at landfall. Such a trend would also indicate more of a threat to Cape May / N DE than to the New York area and thus reduce surge potential, perhaps by several feet, due to a much shallower-than-expected pressure and a faster movement--along with a more subtle WNW movement occurring after landfall rather than the due-W movement originally suggested, mainly due to the more westerly track at this time. I am already starting to suspect that this event may not be much worse than Irene in terms of surge and wind and that heavy precip output will be the main threat.

I have noticed that the movement of Sandy is faster and somewhat farther west than what the operational GFS and ECMWF models have been indicating. This trend might indicate less of a full phase and a higher probability of steady filling over the next 24 to 36 hours (likely into the low 970s), followed by gradual deepening to about 955-960 mb at landfall. Such a trend would also indicate more of a threat to Cape May / N DE than to the New York area and thus reduce surge potential, perhaps by several feet, due to a much shallower-than-expected pressure and a faster movement--along with a more subtle WNW movement occurring after landfall rather than the due-W movement originally suggested, mainly due to the more westerly track at this time. I am already starting to suspect that this event may not be much worse than Irene in terms of surge and wind and that heavy QPF output will be the main threat.

Farther west would probably indicate a bit more of a phase than less so.

Also, and this is a general address to the board, QPF stands for quantitative precip forecast. So, when you say a system is going to produce a lot of QPF, you're saying it will produce a lot of quantitative precip forecast. There's no such thing as QPF in the atmosphere. Please call it precip.

Farther west would probably indicate a bit more of a phase than less so.

Also, and this is a general address to the board, QPF stands for quantitative precip forecast. So, when you say a system is going to produce a lot of QPF, you're saying it will produce a lot of quantitative precip forecast. There's no such thing as QPF in the atmosphere. Please call it precip.

Yes, I meant to say precipitation, but in this case I was alluding to the models’ QPF output, which does include precipitation. I will specify more clearly from now on and will amend my post.

I understand the basic idea of what phasing is (and see it talked about with this storm a lot), but I am not sure what I should be looking for on the models. I mean I see the storm getting pulled into the trough on the 500mb maps for example. Is that what I am looking for? Additionally I know how you can have double or even a triple phaser, but again, what should I look for to see that on the maps? Thanks for whoever answers.

Phasing is the merging of two (or more) areas of energy in the upper levels of the atmosphere. In this case, look at the 500mb (H5) level:

Here, Sandy (a cut-off low) has phased with the shortwave digging in the trough and has been enhanced with the interaction.

Thanks for the response, very clear too! So would a triple phaser be the merger of the subtropical and polar jets with a storm system? At any rate the heights are incredibly low in that second image, what a storm! I wish I could be there to see it.

Thanks for the response, very clear too! So would a triple phaser be the merger of the subtropical and polar jets with a storm system? At any rate the heights are incredibly low in that second image, what a storm! I wish I could be there to see it.

An example of a triple phaser was "Superstorm 1993," where a polar jet impulse, arctic jet impulse, and subtropical jet impulse phased together to create what was called the "Storm of the Century."

031393.jpg

031493.jpg

Now we'll get back on topic :)

So this map is basically tracking the transition from hurricane to ...eventually... extra tropical right? I am sorry to be asking so many questions but is there any significance to this beyond perhaps the more tropical it remains the stronger it probably will be?

It's Semi-Tropic now and weird when it hits land with a sub 960 MB low pressure system.

if this is in wrong place sorry for it......Question about NHC choosing to not issue tropical watch/warnings further north, however if you look at their 11pm update the forecast chart shows a 1% chance @48 hours and 12% chance @72 hours to dissapate, so is it or isn't it a "tropical" system can't have both

if this is in wrong place sorry for it......Question about NHC choosing to not issue tropical watch/warnings further north, however if you look at their 11pm update the forecast chart shows a 1% chance @48 hours and 12% chance @72 hours to dissapate, so is it or isn't it a "tropical" system can't have both

Are people really caring that much if it is tropical or not? It's a huge storm. That's about all that should matter.

i agree i could care less, however the mayor of nyc said today he isn't concerned because the surge isn't going to be bad since it isnt a "tropical" system just a strong norester and he may end up being right, i just think the general, (non readers here) would take it more seriously if stronger wording was used

Definitely stronger than the earlier runs and absolutely worst place to landfall still. I think the operational showed 947mb at landfall, and its still initializing too high at least according to what I've heard. Makes you wonder what future model runs are going to show

Archived