joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Plains Discussion

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a marginal threat for some severe storms this weekend in the Northern Plains. Still a bit far out for specifics but its at least something to keep an eye on with this abysmal pattern.

Do you honestly expect a good pattern for early July... Not too much left on the bone at this point in the year, even for the Northern plains really. But dual-ridges certainly don't help, one in the Rockies and one in the western Atlantic.

I don't recall ever saying I expected an active pattern right now. I just made the comment that its nice to have something remotely interesting to follow in said rotten pattern. We are approaching the climatological severe peak for this area, however... So any other year I would be expecting some more action. Not quite sure what you're trying to argue about.

I don't recall ever saying I expected an active pattern right now. I just made the comment that its nice to have something remotely interesting to follow in said rotten pattern. We are approaching the climatological severe peak for this area, however... So any other year I would be expecting some more action. Not quite sure what you're trying to argue about.

He arguing because he likes to "start arguments"...

And jojo, get off your high horse, what was the need for the first part of that comment, I'm pretty sure Zack knows plenty of Northern Plains climatology to back up his statement.

He arguing because he likes to "start arguments"...

And jojo, get off your high horse, what was the need for the first part of that comment, I'm pretty sure Zack knows plenty of Northern Plains climatology to back up his statement.

I was arguing? lol... Wasn't meant to be argumentative, just a little sarcastic, because this time of year is pretty dull typically.

Friday is actually looking pretty interesting supercell and tornado wise for eastern Saskatchewan going off the lastest NAM runs verbatim   Impressive helicity values and more than enough instability... great directional shear.  Upper level support could be stronger.  I wish I could make it up there... I still want my first Canada tornado.  Saturday could be more interesting for North Dakota/Minnesota with some threat Sunday also.

EDIT: 12z data isn't as bullish for Canada Friday.

Friday is actually looking pretty interesting supercell and tornado wise for eastern Saskatchewan going off the lastest NAM runs verbatim   Impressive helicity values and more than enough instability... great directional shear.  Upper level support could be stronger.  I wish I could make it up there... I still want my first Canada tornado.  Saturday could be more interesting for North Dakota/Minnesota with some threat Sunday also.

EDIT: 12z data isn't as bullish for Canada Friday.

This appears to be the first plains severe outlook in several days. I think North Dakota will get a severe thunderstorm watch today. This threat may carry over to Minnesota. Not too much is going on now. It would appear that higher moisture convergence, about 2500 J/kg of CAPE, and about 30 knots of shear will be present in North Dakota, and some multicells will fire up in a few hours.

Derek if you're around, you might want to keep an eye on what is on the GFS from 120-144 and the Euro from 144-168 (Euro is slower with the s/w ejection) currently, if things setup properly it could be a rather substantial threat for the southern Prairies.

Derek if you're around, you might want to keep an eye on what is on the GFS from 120-144 and the Euro from 144-168 (Euro is slower with the s/w ejection) currently, if things setup properly it could be a rather substantial threat for the southern Prairies.

Thursday looks prime in SE SK. I will likely be heading out to chase the set-up if things continue to look good. NAM paints an ominous scenario out that way Thursday evening. Main concern is the cap but that's to be expected at this time of the year.

I'm slightly intrigued by SD/ND/MN on Friday. Low-level backing and shear leave something to be desired, particularly on the NAM, but it looks about as impressive as anything the region saw in June (sadly).

Thursday looks insane for SE SK, possibly into SW MB. Boy, I need to get on that passport thing I keep putting off.

I'm slightly intrigued by SD/ND/MN on Friday. Low-level backing and shear leave something to be desired, particularly on the NAM, but it looks about as impressive as anything the region saw in June (sadly).

Thursday looks insane for SE SK, possibly into SW MB. Boy, I need to get on that passport thing I keep putting off.

Impressive soundings coming out of there, especially on the GFS, that is quite a nasty looking surface low and trough in general (120+ kt UL jet streak to boot) for this time of year as well.

Strong wording from the Prairie SPC for tomorrow.

FOR THURSDAY...POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SVR WX OUTBREAK IN ERN SK/  WRN MB AS A COLD FRONT SWEEPS THRU THE AREA. SOUTHERLY WINDS IN WARM  SECTOR BRING 20+ DEWPOINTS INTO AREA, GIVING PROGGED SBCAPE VALUES  APPROACHING 3000 J/KG ALONG WITH 40 KNOTS OF 0-6 KM SHEAR AND  FAVOURABLE HODOGRAPH PROFILES. IF LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH COLD FRONT  SUFFICIENT TO BREAK CAP (NOT A GIVEN), DISCRETE SUPERCELLS WITH A  RISK OF TORNADOES CAN BE EXPECTED LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON, LIKELY  UNDERGOING UPSCALE GROWTH TO A CONVECTIVE LINE AS IT MOVES INTO  MANITOBA THURSDAY NIGHT.  

Impressive 0-3 km EHI/theta-e advection over a large area and localized sfc backing from the 00z NAM across a large area tomorrow for E SK and W MB. Lead edge of a 120-130 kt UL jet streak ejecting into the area, along with 50+ kts at 500 mb. 35-40+ kt LLJ gets going by 00z in eastern SK which should further enhance low level convergence with time and very deep sfc low (less than 992 mb) should enhance low level backing as well. This is certainly a rather impressive setup comparable to some Plains episodes and it's more of a classic leeside cyclogenesis episode synoptically as well. Dews should be at least in the mid-upper 60s. Broad-based nature of the upper trough should encourage an extended window of discrete convection assuming we do get at least scattered convective initiation (this is still a big if given the cap). I would (based on these progs) probably target around the Trans-Canada northward to perhaps the Yellowhead in Eastern SK in terms of cooler mid level temps (perhaps the pentagonal area defined by Weyburn, Regina, Yorkton, Dauphin and Brandon).

vix.gif

x0p.gif

qj6.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tornado watch out for much of Central MN, includes the Twin Cities metro.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 474   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   225 PM CDT TUE AUG 6 2013   THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A   * TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF      CENTRAL MINNESOTA     SOUTHEASTERN NORTH DAKOTA     NORTHWESTERN WISCONSIN   * EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 225 PM UNTIL     900 PM CDT.   * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...     A FEW TORNADOES POSSIBLE     SEVERAL LARGE HAIL EVENTS LIKELY WITH A FEW VERY LARGE HAIL       EVENTS TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE     SEVERAL DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY   THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 80 STATUTE   MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 45 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF   ORTONVILLE MINNESOTA TO 60 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF MINNEAPOLIS   MINNESOTA.  FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE   ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU4).   PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...   REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR   TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH   AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR   THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS   AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.   &&   DISCUSSION...AS A 50+ KT WESTERLY 500 MB JET STREAK CONTINUES TO   NOSE EASTWARD ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS/UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY   REGION LATE THIS AFTERNOON...DESTABILIZATION IS EXPECTED TO BECOME   SUFFICIENT FOR SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT IN THE WARM SECTOR OF A WEAK   SURFACE WAVE.  WITH SOME STRENGTHENING OF SOUTHERLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW   FIELDS...A REMNANT EFFECTIVE WARM FRONTAL ZONE ACROSS CENTRAL   MINNESOTA INTO THE MINNEAPOLIS AREA WILL PROVIDE A POTENTIAL FOCUS   FOR TORNADIC DEVELOPMENT THROUGH EARLY EVENING.  OTHERWISE...THE   EVOLUTION OF AN ORGANIZED MESOSCALE CONVECTIVE SYSTEM MAY EVENTUALLY   OCCUR NEAR THE LOW AND ALONG A DEVELOPING COLD FRONT TRAILING TO THE   WEST...WHICH SHOULD PROPAGATE EAST SOUTHEASTWARD WITH THE RISK FOR   SEVERE WINDS AND HAIL ACROSS THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY BY THIS   EVENING.   AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL   SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 2 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE   WIND GUSTS TO 60 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO   450. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 29035.   ...KERR

Archived