joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Plains Discussion

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice-out on Minnetonka was May 1st/2nd, depending on whether you trust the Sheriffs office or Freshwater Society.  All-time record is May 5th from the 1850s.  This year basically matched the modern record of May 2nd.

http://freshwater.org/ice-out-dates-for-lake-minnetonka/

Here's Grand Forks and Oslo, MN video of the snowmelt flooding this year.  Not impressive compared to some of the floods of years past, but thought you guys may want to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmbr_YeooS8

Yeah sure was a tough forecast this year from the RFC.     Models have a lot of tweeking left in these unusual events such as this years late melt.....way more water soaked in then thought...    RFC was thinking maybe 30 pct soak in and 70 pct runoff   -- it was the opposite.       So basically a non event.    The water levels this year at GF-EGF  doesnt harm anyone....

How about those record high temperatures?  With T850s possibly reaching 25C by 00Z today and 28C tomorrow in North Platte, today's record high of 91 (1932) should easily be broken, and tomorrow's record of 95 (1948) could very-well fall as well.  Winds are out of the west for much of western NE, SD, KS and eastern CO and WY, so downsloping and adiabatic warming are likely contributing to the (dry) heat. 

Absolutely incredible stuff. In the 30s a few days ago, now the Twin Cities (my hometown area) pushing into the mid 90s. 

100 in Owatonna, 11 days after their 16" of snow.  My brother says that there are still parking lot piles of snow in places around there.  I told him to get a picture of a pile with the car thermometer in the shot too.  I'll post it here if he does it. :)

Sioux City, IA was at 104 earlier! With 30+ mph winds. A lot warmer than most places, I guess that area really gets maximized heating with these downsloping winds? Look like their May record is 105 from 1934.

They got the May record with 106°.  What a whiplash from non-spring to summer. 

100 in Owatonna, 11 days after their 16" of snow.  My brother says that there are still parking lot piles of snow in places around there.  I told him to get a picture of a pile with the car thermometer in the shot too.  I'll post it here if he does it. :)

They got the May record with 106°.  What a whiplash from non-spring to summer. 

That 1934 heatwave was the king of all May heatwaves in the plains/upper Midwest: 

MSP: 106

St. Cloud: 105

Omaha: 103

Eau Claire: 107

Des Moines: 105

Fargo: 104

Topeka: 103

Madison: 101

Pierre: 105

Bismarck: 102

This one is definitely impressive as it is occurring 2 weeks earlier, but the 1934 one had much more widespread extreme records.

From the MPX afternoon AFD, interesting indeed

MANKATO WENT FROM 84 TO 97 WITHIN AN HOUR
OF THE FRONT PASSING! NOT ONLY DOES IT LOOK LIKE MOST LOCATIONS
OUTSIDE OF CENTRAL MN AND WRN WI WILL SET DAILY RECORD HIGHS...BUT
THE TRIPLE DIGIT HEAT DOWN SOUTH...BASED ON INFO FROM THE STATE
CLIMATOLOGIST WILL ALSO BREAK THE RECORD HIGH IN MN FOR THIS
DAY...THOUGH A DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON THAT WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL
TOMORROW AFTER WE GOT ALL OF THE COOP INFORMATION IN.

Using NOAA's monthly climate rankings, I did a crude approximation of North Dakota's March/April ranking.  I think 1899 is very safe as the coldest (that March was epic).  2013 will probably be in the 2nd to 5th range.  Maybe 4th behind '50 and '51? 

North Dakota finishes with the coldest April on record, and the 2nd coldest March/April combo.  Nationwide, Mar-Apr was the 33rd coldest overall and coldest since 1996.

What a whipsaw

post-1746-0-54008600-1368708421_thumb.pn

Anybody chasing in South Dakota today?  If nothing else, South Dakota could get 1 to 4" of rain in these next days. Maybe some of the early focus of storms will be around Sheridan, Gillette, and Casper.

There's sort of a dryline in Wyoming.

• 1 month later...

From the SPC disco  for the day 3 outlook. things appear to be in a flux as of tonight, however a moderate and possibly a  high end event may be on the horizon over the Northern Plains and Upper Mississippi valley.  We will have to see how things shake out, but this could get interesting.  The Nam brings 3000 cape close to MPX and develops a large area of QPF Thursday evening, I don't know about the cape from the Euro, but it also develops a area of QPF near MPX, sometime after 0z Friday.  The GFS appears to be further north.

"

...NRN PLAINS...UPPER MIDWEST...   GIVEN THE AFOREMENTIONED DISCREPANCIES IN THE HANDLING OF THE   SYNOPTIC PATTERN...CONFIDENCE IS LOW FOR HIGHLIGHTING SIGNIFICANT   SEVERE OR HIGHER COVERAGE PROBABILITIES ATTM. IT APPEARS THAT AN MCS   WILL PROBABLY BE ONGOING AT 12Z/THU INVOF MT/ND/SASKATCHEWAN BORDER.   THIS MAY CONTINUE TO MOVE EWD WITHIN MODERATE MID-LEVEL WLY FLOW AND   PERHAPS REDEVELOP/INTENSIFY E/SEWD INTO THE DIURNAL HEATING CYCLE   WITH ALL MODES OF SEVERE POSSIBLE GIVEN A MODERATE TO STRONGLY   UNSTABLE DOWNSTREAM AIR MASS. A STOUT CAPPING INVERSION AND   EXPANDING EML SHOULD LIMIT DIURNAL DEVELOPMENT WITH SRN EXTENT ALONG   ANY OUTFLOW AND CONFINE ACTIVITY MAINLY TO PARTS OF ND AND NWRN MN.   LOW-LEVEL WAA WILL STRENGTHEN THU NIGHT WITH A ROBUST LLJ FROM THE   SRN PLAINS TO THE MID-MO VALLEY. ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE   CAPPING INVERSION...EITHER A CONTINUATION OF DIURNAL CONVECTION OR   DEVELOPMENT OF A RENEWED MCS APPEARS POSSIBLE WITH ATTENDANT SEVERE   WIND/HAIL THREATS."I agree that confidence is low, but it's not zero.  I don't know what the author considers low, but I would put the moderate chance at 30% and a high end event at 10% 

Anybody chasing in South Dakota today?  If nothing else, South Dakota could get 1 to 4" of rain in these next days. Maybe some of the early focus of storms will be around Sheridan, Gillette, and Casper.

There's sort of a dryline in Wyoming.

while SD may be so-so, I would say the next couple of days the best chasing will be between the yellowhead highway and i-90/94 in montana today, and the yellowhead hwy in SK into YDN and YBR for the northern edge tomorrow, with the southern edge in southern ND. day 3, north of i-80 in IA all the way to northwestern Ontario south of tch-16 and Armstrong, including maybe t-bay. 

while SD may be so-so, I would say the next couple of days the best chasing will be between the yellowhead highway and i-90/94 in montana today, and the yellowhead hwy in SK into YDN and YBR for the northern edge tomorrow, with the southern edge in southern ND. day 3, north of i-80 in IA all the way to northwestern Ontario south of tch-16 and Armstrong, including maybe t-bay. 

I believe his post about SD was from last month.  Looked like it was from 5/17... and I remember that there was a threat in SD that day because I chased it... didn't do much, though.

I would be wary about the NAM progressing things east so quickly. It is definitely the outlier with the GFS, Euro, and others taking their time ejecting the various features. At this point, I think western/central North Dakota up into southwestern Manitoba will be the place to be on Thursday afternoon before things shift east later.

Friday could also be a decent severe weather event for eastern ND/western MN. I do like my position here in S MB for some good storms in the coming days.

According to mesoanalysis, DCAPE values could be fairly impressive tonight when the line of storms is approaching eastern ND (in the range of 1000-1400 J/kg).  If storms can organize into an MCS and survive as the sun goes down we could see some fairly impressive winds here in the eastern part of the state.  Hoping for some big winds and some lightning shot opportunities.

Archived