joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Plains Discussion

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Clipper over performed for us here in Grand Forks... I'm in the south part of the city and I took a few measurements here in multiple places (tough because of all the blowing snow)... The general consensus is around 3-4 inches.

I was wondering if clipper season was ever gonna arrive. It's been nothing more than blowing dirt and snow ("snirt" to the locals) on the west end for a couple months until this one whitened things up. The snow was as black as I've ever seen it prior to this week.

blacksnow.jpg

It appears that we have another shot at some snow from Wednesday afternoon/night to Thursday morning with the next Clipper. Mild temps with minimal lift and decent PWAT should make for a peaceful snow event in the Northern Plains. My guess is we'll see 2 inches here in the valley and places farther SE could see as much as 4 inches.

Hi

I am a NWS met up in Grand Forks ND....   long range GFS has been indicating a back to a northwest or northerly flow aloft and a colder than normal temp regime thru the end of Feb....but generally dry...    (hard to tell this far out any minor shortwaves in northwest flow).     But not looking for any melt yet (too early)....so the 15-20 on the ground there will still be there.        Normals at end of Feb are 28/12....so overall looks a bit below avg temp.  

Dan

Hi

I am a NWS met up in Grand Forks ND....   long range GFS has been indicating a back to a northwest or northerly flow aloft and a colder than normal temp regime thru the end of Feb....but generally dry...    (hard to tell this far out any minor shortwaves in northwest flow).     But not looking for any melt yet (too early)....so the 15-20 on the ground there will still be there.        Normals at end of Feb are 28/12....so overall looks a bit below avg temp.  

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

The 240h European looks mildly interesting with a low in the west poised to eject northeastward on 2/23.  Thoughts?

Wil have to see how the 22nd feb storm plays in the southern red river valley....  12z euro did go north some   seems to be some blocking action possibly in eastern canada.    beyond that  does appear a broad upper trough over the area 24-27th period  with main action south of us but could be some very light snows...

Congrats Grand Forks... :thumbsup:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
448 AM CST SUN FEB 17 2013

...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW BRINGING POSSIBLE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS BY
EARLY MONDAY MORNING...

.AN UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL MOVE OUT OF THE ROCKIES AND INTO THE
PLAINS LATE TODAY AND INTO TONIGHT. SNOW WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP
NEAR THE CANADIAN BORDER DURING THE DAY TODAY...AND THEN WILL
SPREAD SOUTH AND EASTWARD TONIGHT AS LOW PRESSURE MOVES EASTWARD.
SNOW AMOUNTS WILL BE HIGHEST ALONG THE DEVILS LAKE BASIN INTO LAKE
OF THE WOODS REGION...WHERE 4 TO 7 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE.
HOWEVER...THE GREATER CONCERN IS BLOWING SNOW TONIGHT AND INTO
TOMORROW AS NORTHERLY WINDS PICK UP BEHIND A STRONG COLD FRONT
MOVING THROUGH THE REGION. WITH WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS
TO 45 MPH...BLOWING SNOW COULD BECOME A PROBLEM ANYWHERE FRESH
SNOW HAS FALLEN...EVEN IF IT IS ONLY AN INCH OR SNOW. VISIBILITIES
OF A QUARTER MILE OR LESS ARE POSSIBLE. FURTHER EAST ALONG THE
LAKE OF THE WOODS AND RED LAKES REGION...WINDS WILL BE LESS BUT
SNOW AMOUNTS COULD REACH 6 INCHES OR MORE.

MNZ001>005-007-008-013>015-022-NDZ006>008-014>016-024-026>030-038-
039-054-190000-
/O.NEW.KFGF.BZ.A.0003.130218T0000Z-130219T0000Z/
WEST POLK-NORMAN-CLAY-KITTSON-ROSEAU-WEST MARSHALL-EAST MARSHALL-
PENNINGTON-RED LAKE-EAST POLK-MAHNOMEN-TOWNER-CAVALIER-PEMBINA-
BENSON-RAMSEY-EASTERN WALSH-EDDY-NELSON-GRAND FORKS-GRIGGS-STEELE-
TRAILL-BARNES-CASS-WESTERN WALSH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CROOKSTON...EAST GRAND FORKS...
HALSTAD...MOORHEAD...HALLOCK...ROSEAU...WARREN...NEWFOLDEN...
THIEF RIVER FALLS...RED LAKE FALLS...FOSSTON...MAHNOMEN...CANDO...
LANGDON...CAVALIER...MADDOCK...LEEDS...DEVILS LAKE...GRAFTON...
NEW ROCKFORD...LAKOTA...GRAND FORKS...COOPERSTOWN...FINLEY...
MAYVILLE...VALLEY CITY...FARGO...ADAMS
448 AM CST SUN FEB 17 2013

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND FORKS HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN TO MOVE INTO THE REGION LATE THIS
  AFTERNOON INTO SUNDAY EVENING. SNOWFALL WILL BECOME HEAVIER LATE
  TONIGHT AND WINDS WILL INCREASE OUT OF THE NORTH AS A COLD FRONT
  MOVES INTO THE AREA. SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH
  MONDAY MORNING BEFORE TAPERING OFF MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...WINDS WILL INCREASE OUT OF THE NORTH AT 25 TO
  35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH. SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW COULD REDUCE
  VISIBILITIES TO A QUARTER OF A MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...WILL RANGE FROM 3 TO 6 INCHES FROM DEVILS
  LAKE TO GRAND FORKS TO ROSEAU AREA...WITH HEAVIEST AMOUNTS IN
  NORTHWESTERN MINNESOTA. AMOUNTS RANGING FORM 1 TO 3 INCHES WILL
  BE POSSIBLE NEAR CANDO TO LANGDON AND IN THE VALLEY CITY TO
  FARGO AREAS.

we will see what happens....  wind will be here   so if we can get 2-3 inches of fresh snow blowing around it will be a blizzard.  

not expecting much additional snow here but i still have a few inches of loose powder on top of the crusted crap and with wind gusts approaching 40 mph later tomorrow around here, maybe ground blizzard conditions out in the open country where i live.

We are going blizzard warnings for ne nd into northern red river valley....a winter storm warnings around Lake of the Woods.    For our south and into MPX cwa  they are going winter wx adv.  

awesome...cmc has the heavier snowband further south into the GFK area than the gfs so it'll be interesting how all that sets up.

we will see what happens....  wind will be here   so if we can get 2-3 inches of fresh snow blowing around it will be a blizzard.  

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS ND644 AM CST MON FEB 18 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0600 AM     SNOW             GRAND FORKS             47.92N 97.07W02/18/2013  M3.4 INCH        GRAND FORKS        ND   OFFICIAL NWS OBS

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS ND644 AM CST MON FEB 18 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0600 AM     SNOW             GRAND FORKS             47.92N 97.07W02/18/2013  M3.4 INCH        GRAND FORKS        ND   OFFICIAL NWS OBS

Very nasty out this morning. I'd say worst visibility out of the past couple of blizzards.

Bad this morning...was able to make it in at 830 am....   but saw some folks stranded at intersections at 42nd and Demers and report this morning that police were rescuing stranded motorists at I-29 and 32nd     We had here at the office about 3.5 inches of snow....peak winds around 50 mph.

Archived