joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Plains Discussion

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see this? Embarrass, MN fell to -14 on 4/20/13, which is the coldest temperature ever seen after 4/15 in MN.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/264892/

Overall, this sums up the month quite well:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/04/23/record-shattering-cold-and-snow-stun-rockies-north-central-u-s/

What a complete 180 from last year.

Yep...posted in the GL/OV forum.  A -14F in MN on 4/20 has to be one of the more amazing temperature records you'll ever see.  For context, INL destroyed their old record low that same morning, with a reading of 4F...

good news for the Red River region....that Mon night-Tues event looking more and more north with main instability axis in the warm region more from Nebraska into southern Minnesota....thus it would appear Fargo region in the under half inch (or even under one quarter inch) rain amount range.    This would not be enough to alter river.....so looking like it will fall on the lower end of crest predictions.    38 ft in Fargo isnt a huge deal anymore.... 

The persistence of the pattern has been remarkable.  It is almost a shame that it is going to warm over the last 5-6 days of the month, probably preventing some even more extreme stats.

I think both the persistence and extreme nature of the pattern has been impressive, i.e. the -14 at Embarrass referenced. There have been a ton of record lows set, including many that were the coldest on record for that late in the season.

This has to have been one of the coldest March/Aprils on record for many places in the northern plains. 

For instance, Minot, ND saw a -14.5 anomaly in March, and is -16.6 so far in April. That's unreal.

Using NOAA's monthly climate rankings, I did a crude approximation of North Dakota's March/April ranking.  I think 1899 is very safe as the coldest (that March was epic).  2013 will probably be in the 2nd to 5th range.  Maybe 4th behind '50 and '51? 

The other thing that is cool at this time of year is the difference in land surface type and the effect on temperature.  Both north central ND and northern MN have the same overall weather conditions, and both areas still have significant snowcover remaining.  But ND (especially north of Devils Lake) is around 40 at the moment, while northern MN is in the mid-60s.  Why?  Trees.

The other thing that is cool at this time of year is the difference in land surface type and the effect on temperature.  Both north central ND and northern MN have the same overall weather conditions, and both areas still have significant snowcover remaining.  But ND (especially north of Devils Lake) is around 40 at the moment, while northern MN is in the mid-60s.  Why?  Trees.

I have heard DLH bring up the coniferous effect before.  Maybe thats what it is?  Not sure.

sure is the trees....NWS Grand Forks forecast area goes from Devils Lake east to Baudette-Bemidji-Wadena.   And when the sun is out ...even on the coldest of days....the tree area will warm up nicely....more than the prairie snowcovered areas.    Conversely at night  we notice the tree areas cool down faster and fall lower than the prairie regions as the tree area as less wind and will go calm whereas the prairies will often keep a little wind going.

There's potential for a clap of thunder or two with the thunderstorms tomorrow night and in to Tuesday morning. Been a long time since I've heard thunder up here.

Yeah it's been a long time up here too. Last thunderstorm activity here was mid August last year.

Power went out 5 min after my last post.  Multiple reports of over 12" in area.  Power still out, it sounds like a war zone with trees pooping, cracking and falling all over the place in the woods.  Measured 10", still snowing.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN743 AM CDT THU MAY 02 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0730 AM     SNOW             2 E OWATONNA            44.09N 93.18W05/02/2013  M15.5 INCH       STEELE             MN   PUBLIC            POWER OUT.

Power went out 5 min after my last post.  Multiple reports of over 12" in area.  Power still out, it sounds like a war zone with trees pooping, cracking and falling all over the place in the woods.  Measured 10", still snowing.

Where are you?  Rochester area?

Another that will be vying for the state record for May

0700 AM SNOW 1 WNW DODGE CENTER 44.03N 92.87W

05/02/2013 M15.4 INCH DODGE MN COOP OBSERVER

REPORTED AT COOP OBSERVER STATION DDGM5 SNOW

DURATION 24 HOURS

Blooming Prairie, MN now reports 18". Rice Lake, WI 17" Both will shatter state records if confirmed. Wow.

Unreal jackpot in the Owatonna, Dodge Center, Blooming Prairie area (Dodge and Steele counties).  And less than 60 miles north, MSP gets off with a trace and the western suburbs are having a sunny day in the mid-upper 40s. 

Sorry for the late response.  Got a bit hectic and lost Internet access.  I'm about 7 miles SE of Red Wing.   Ended with about 14" total.  Added 2" overnight last night.  Just got power back on a few hours ago. 

Thankfully, it's melting fast....had to go beat on some of my trees to keep them from falling.  Didn't want to lose all my shade.

Where are you?  Rochester area?

Another that will be vying for the state record for May

0700 AM SNOW 1 WNW DODGE CENTER 44.03N 92.87W
05/02/2013 M15.4 INCH DODGE MN COOP OBSERVER

REPORTED AT COOP OBSERVER STATION DDGM5 SNOW
DURATION 24 HOURS

Archived