Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Plains Discussion

prinsburg_wx

Congrats - it's about time. :)

Unfortunately, it looks like temps of 40-45 this weekend will melt much of the snow. It's going to be a struggle to sustain snow cover for awhile anywhere in the U.S., with the raging El Nino.

Thanks! Ended up with 4.5...a good 3" more than I believed I was going to get leading up till flakes starting to fall.

Models starting to sway on how warm it gets as mid level ridge axis passes by.

I'm use to mountain wx and CAD sigs so it may just be wishful thinking that being in the RRV the low level cold might be harder to mix out.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pack down to an inch as we have suffered several days near 40F. The bleeding stops this week as several waves brush to the North. Couple dry FROPAs as the long wave dumps into the West and the pattern reloads.

Model to model differences exist but all three major models agree that a one wave brings in the cold air and the following shortwave picks up a negative tilt bringing accumulating snowfall to the region near the weekend.

Another wave cuts across the region late that would potentially bring yet another round of winter weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Snow significantly over performed today here in Omaha/Council Bluffs area (visiting family for holidays). Up to last night, local mets thought we would get an inch, 2 max. Pushing over 6 inches now and still falling at a moderate rate. Makes up for the rainy mess yesterday.

Edit: Final total 7.8 inches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/960202_60_below.html

20 years to the day of the -60F record-breaker at Tower, MN.

An amazing event for Tower. Very deep snow cover, clear skies, and topography- perfect combination. Apparently, Embarrass may have been even colder, but the thermometer broke.

While not quite historic here in northern IL (lows near -20 for a couple of nights), it was significantly more anomalous not too far NW of here. I believe Madison WI was around -30, and parts of southern MN hit -40. They haven't been as cold since.

Archived