12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Wake Me Up When September Ends / Banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insurance companies have hurt people on the Cape as they designated it an unofficial disaster waiting to happen and don't realize that most of the Cape will not be swept away in surge.

My mom, 5 miles inland, behind a terminal moraine at elevation had her ins dropped because of this. We struggled to get her Ins and the price was 25% above what she paid. Even at work way inland,we were recently placed in a 115 MPH sustained zone, as a result we were being asked to make some very expensive alterations. I provided reams of data for the arbitration. Now changed from requirement to recommendation.

My mom, 5 miles inland, behind a terminal moraine at elevation had her ins dropped because of this. We struggled to get her Ins and the price was 25% above what she paid. Even at work way inland,we were recently placed in a 115 MPH sustained zone, as a result we were being asked to make some very expensive alterations. I provided reams of data for the arbitration. Now changed from requirement to recommendation.

Yeah a lot of people had that problem a couple years ago.

Obviously you didn't read Kerry Emanuel's paper lol.... rather just the press release about it.

Not that one, check this and the references cited. Holy alarmist, Ins companies feast on these and are using them to increase profits, remember despite the brutal Ins losses in 2011, they all made lots of money.

http://www.betterfutureproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MassRisingEconRiskFromClimateChange-Full.pdf

Not that one, check this and the references cited. Holy alarmist, Ins companies feast on these and are using them to increase profits, remember despite the brutal Ins losses in 2011, they all made lots of money.

http://www.betterfut...Change-Full.pdf

Just looking at it briefly there's some good things in there and some terrible things in there. It's from an environmental advocacy group so I'm not surprised.

There has been a dramatic increase in extreme precipitation events in the last 100 years :snowman:

http://www.betterfut...Change-Full.pdf

This report is complete BS. Drought every summer? 6F temperature increase by 2050? Come on!

And no one in New England should be mandated to spend tons of money on flood insurance. Flooding events on Cape Cod and the CT shoreline are rare. Money spent on insurance is going to exceed that spent on repairs in the long run.

This report is complete BS. Drought every summer? 6F temperature increase by 2050? Come on!

And no one in New England should be mandated to spend tons of money on flood insurance. Flooding events on Cape Cod and the CT shoreline are rare. Money spent on insurance is going to exceed that spent on repairs in the long run.

They are in a business to make money and will use what they need to to make the profits.Can not blame them for wanting to do so but.... It's just a question of how hard they squeeze our nuts, because they have us by them at all times. Not losing money yet due to the dire forecasts though

http://www.iii.org/articles/2011-year-end-results.html

They are in a business to make money and will use what they need to to make the profits.Can not blame them for wanting to do so but.... It's just a question of how hard they squeeze our nuts, because they have us by them at all times. Not losing money yet due to the dire forecasts though

http://www.iii.org/a...nd-results.html

My opinion is that if insurance costs an individual money, it shouldn't be mandatory. Individuals should be able to make their own business decisions about how best to protect their property, that is whether it should be insured or uninsured. Mandatory insurance, if it exists, should be a government program; it is against the foundations of our country's economy/free market to force people to consume a private service.

My opinion is that if insurance costs an individual money, it shouldn't be mandatory. Individuals should be able to make their own business decisions about how best to protect their property, that is whether it should be insured or uninsured. Mandatory insurance, if it exists, should be a government program; it is against the foundations of our country's economy/free market to force people to consume a private service.

That is a protection for the folks who lend you the money, if you own a home outright no one can force you to have insurance.

Are you serious?

If a bank loans you 500k for a house on the water why shouldn't they mandate you to have insurance?

I think your argument that people in CT or Cape Cod on the water don't need flood insurance is just dumb. Storm surge from noreasters and hurricanes is a very real threat... we're not talking about Mount Socks here.

Are you serious?

If a bank loans you 500k for a house on the water why shouldn't they mandate you to have insurance?

I think your argument that people in CT or Cape Cod on the water don't need flood insurance is just dumb. Storm surge from noreasters and hurricanes is a very real threat... we're not talking about Mount Socks here.

I didn't realize at first it was only for mortgages...it sounded as if everyone was being made to buy it.

I would bet though that money spent on insurance far exceeds the damage caused by storms. I can only remember a couple events recently where CT got into any real trouble with storm surge, namely Irene and April 2007.

The climate change "report" about increased natural disasters in New England was a joke.

I didn't realize at first it was only for mortgages...it sounded as if everyone was being made to buy it.

I would bet though that money spent on insurance far exceeds the damage caused by storms. I can only remember a couple events recently where CT got into any real trouble with storm surge, namely Irene and April 2007.

The climate change "report" about increased natural disasters in New England was a joke.

Yes... but it's not like it was peer reviewed literature. It was an environmental advocacy group. Who cares what they say?

So 2 events in 5 years is rare with surge?

I'd argue that, in general, we've been lucky of late.

1992 was quite serious in CT, along with some in 1996. Gloria produced some significant damage in some areas as did the 1978 blizzard.

Donna, Carol, 1944, 1938 all produced severe and widespread coastal flooding.

Yes... but it's not like it was peer reviewed literature. It was an environmental advocacy group. Who cares what they say?

So 2 events in 5 years is rare with surge?

I'd argue that, in general, we've been lucky of late.

1992 was quite serious in CT, along with some in 1996. Gloria produced some significant damage in some areas as did the 1978 blizzard.

Donna, Carol, 1944, 1938 all produced severe and widespread coastal flooding.

You miss the references they cited? Can you explain the industries decisions in non flood prone areas to drop long term policy owners or the huge rate increases. The industry uses non peer reviewed literature by the way to back up their reasoning unfortunately.

Does this seem excessive to anyone in terms of spatial coverage of big QPF amounts? I could see spot amounts getting into this range but not widespread like that.

Yeah it does seem widespread. a 5 day QPF forecast like that is really tough to pin down when you're trying to nail down convection 5 days ahead of time lol.

I think we'll get 1"-3" in many areas.

You miss the references they cited? Can you explain the industries decisions in non flood prone areas to drop long term policy owners or the huge rate increases. The industry uses non peer reviewed literature by the way to back up their reasoning unfortunately.

I'm really not that interested in the topic so I didn't look lol

The music of the atmospheric melody right now doesn't sing so pessimistically heading into early winter.

Also, it's early, but the solar activity is no where close to where it was last summer into autumn, and i believe the recession back into a -NAO summer (which it most certainly was) is a bit too coincidental - likewise as it were that we had all that solar storm activity and summarily seemed to loose, albeit perhaps temporarily, the multi-decadal -NAO during the ensuing winter. Looking at the the multi-decadal signal, the tendency for the NAO as suggested by that curve alone is negative. Last year's positive dominance was a clear anomaly - but that is common in nature. Background signals are often trumped by shorter time scale forces that temporarily overwhelm whatever processes are causing said back ground signal. With much less trumping influence it seems reasonable that the background returns. Lest there be some other as yet unknown cosmically engineered reason to not snow on Kevin's house - sure, that's certainly a very real and palpable plausibility, notwithstanding...

For the record folks who build on barrier beaches or in historical flood prone areas should pay for those decisions, punishing folks who are not is ridiculous.

Yeah I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

I do know that due to wind threat insurance companies jacked up premiums near the water. I haven't heard about areas being forced to get flood coverage for surge recently that weren't already required to.

Archived