• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter set to attack per JB

Joe Bastardi (a well respected MET) has been on the cold train like many here on Eastern...ah American Wx for November/December and he indicates in his morning post today that "Winter is getting ready to attack, nationwide and the pattern of cross polar flow and neg ao and nao means its liable to get stormy too." He indicates that the stormy and cold will provide quite the contrast to last year.

Should be some interesting times ahead for the early life of the American Weather Forums....thanks again to all who help make this possible. I hope everyone helps contribute to keeping it going

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Joe Bastardi (a well respected MET) has been on the cold train like many here on Eastern...ah American Wx for November/December and he indicates in his morning post today that "Winter is getting ready to attack, nationwide and the pattern of cross polar flow and neg ao and nao means its liable to get stormy too." He indicates that the stormy and cold will provide quite the contrast to last year.

Should be some interesting times ahead for the early life of the American Weather Forums....thanks again to all who help make this possible. I hope everyone helps contribute to keeping it going

Paul

www.chescowx.com

well according to the 12z euro winter's attack looks pretty weak in the eastern US thru day 10, other than a couple quick shots of seasonably cold later this week, temps in the OV, eastern GL and on east look to now be fairly mild into the first part of thanksgiving week. All the action stays in the nw and nc portion of the U.S.

well according to the 12z euro winter's attack looks pretty weak in the eastern US thru day 10, other than a couple quick shots of seasonably cold later this week, temps in the OV, eastern GL and on east look to now be fairly mild into the first part of thanksgiving week. All the action stays in the nw and nc portion of the U.S.

It won't stay that way if the ECM is right about the NAO.

of course JB is going to bang the early winter attack drum....his forecast for most of the east is winter comes early and then exits quickly. He's going to give it the grandest, most drawn out entrance he can. Let's see what happens.

looks like a potentially warm pattern developing, especially if the high continues to slide away from greenland.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfstc2.cgi?time=2010111412&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=168hr

He said the best part of winter for the east will be after t-day-xmass, can see a big storm in early december occuring. Also goes on to say that the i-95 area might have trouble during this period with rain issues......

In a way I don't mind for the cold to stay away a while longer. Heating costs are high enough and why spend money on super cold this early? ;-)

Closer to my yard, a banana plant surface foliage killing hard frost/light freeze looks on tap the weekend after Thanksgiving.

You think they're dead, but it takes prolonged subfreezing to kill the roots, and they produce lush tropical looking foliage the following Spring. Takes a frost free Winter, however, for the little banana clusters.

Farther from home, because of that darned Atlantic Ocean, significant snow at my old house in Nassau Shores was rare before Christmas.

JB also has a Lake Effect warning for Thanksgiving holiday travel troubles.

Closer to my yard, a banana plant surface foliage killing hard frost/light freeze looks on tap the weekend after Thanksgiving.

You think they're dead, but it takes prolonged subfreezing to kill the roots, and they produce lush tropical looking foliage the following Spring. Takes a frost free Winter, however, for the little banana clusters.

Farther from home, because of that darned Atlantic Ocean, significant snow at my old house in Nassau Shores was rare before Christmas.

JB also has a Lake Effect warning for Thanksgiving holiday travel troubles.

ill believe that when NWS mentions it lol :thumbsup:

Coldest last 5 days of November since at least 2002, maybe 1989, per JB. East of the Mississippi.

I remember the 1989 HELL freeze. I think it got down to 14ºF in Austin. Although, Austin is West of the Mississippi. And that was December, around Christmas.

I don't think ti will be as cold as he is expecting, seasonally cold yes, but the worst in 8 years I don't know about that. Also Nov of 2002 was a lot colder for a longer period than what is forecasted.

Coldest last 5 days of November since at least 2002, maybe 1989, per JB. East of the Mississippi.

2005 had a colder temperature in NYC than 1989...

November's lowest temperature since 1987 is 22 set in 2005...1989 was 23 for a min.

18 in 1987

22 in 2005

23 in 1989

23 in 1996

23 in 2000

23 in 2008

With the NAO and AO expected to tank negative, the idea that cold air displaces south and east is definitely plausible. Now the whole idea of a big East coast storm at this stage is obviously premature, however given the expected pattern change, you could argue that the set up would be favorable for at least some wintry precipitation. The most important element of the pattern will be the Greenland blocking. If it's as robust as some models and ensembles are indicating, that bodes well for prospective snow chances.

He may be respected by some, but he doesn't impress me. Some of the most blown up and overhyped calls can be made by JB for the sake of webpage hits.

I interned at AccuWeather this past summer and while he definitely knows his stuff, I agree that a lot of the stuff he says is for the web traffic.

This is where JB gets in trouble. I don't get why he needs to say coldest in X years. There's no way of really knowing that without observing the developing air mass in the first place from the source region, and you have to consider moderation of the air mass as the air mass travels south and southeast. He's right about the pattern developing and bringing a cold pattern for Thanksgiving on, but the coldest in 8 years? That didn't need to be added.

Archived