• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

Also note that GFS shows a WSW movement for a time, which I believe historically is correlated with a higher likelihood of landfall from a Cape Verde system. GFS has been pretty good this year and is persistent with this one, so it will be worth watching next week.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's near insane to think that a tropical wave can go so far west for exiting north of the CV islands.

I've only seen a handful of tropical cyclones in history that have been able to exit north of Senegal and actually develop.

Ignoring the imminent MA landfall at the end of the post-truncation fantasy phase of the 12Z GFS, sort of, through Hour 192, the wave, potential Gordon, that would come off Africa in about 4 days, would cruise almost due West despite being near 20ºN latitude through its first four days offshore.

I actually was thinking that, but so far this year, tropics wise, the GFS running full wave number hasn't been crazy.

It's near insane to think that a tropical wave can go so far west for exiting north of the CV islands.

I've only seen a handful of tropical cyclones in history that have been able to exit north of Senegal and actually develop.

This is a good point that you make; such developements are rare and Hurricane Isabel comes to mind; but it's not an ideal analog by far.

800px-Isabel_2003_track.png

this might just stay just below the dust cloud and i expect the cloud to disperse next week. could be a surprise storm. by the way, florence's remains have a few storms again.

Was just looking at that quite the fair up for a system that was to have no flair ups. could be interesting to watch overnight as models did nothing with this.

Posted for the sake of continuity; and also because I was offended by Ed's sarcastic remarks. The tropical wave that spawns Gordon is well out into the Atlantic before Truncation. It's not something that is likely to happen but I do believe there will be a real landfall threat (anywhere in the conus).

Nothing personal, I understand the temptation to post 16 day East Coast Megastorms little more than two weeks away. You will note, 384 hour GFS giveth, 384 hour GFS taketh away.

But potential Cat 7 Delaware Destroyer Gordon looking good over Africa, so don't give up hope.

avn-l.jpg

The 12Z GFS looks like it may have a classic long tracking CV storm that threatens W ATL land. It has what looks like a TS already by Friday (day 3) near the CV's, which moves due west and may even have some WSW movement. Let's see what the rest of the run does with it.

The "Senegal Screamer"TM actually moves WSW and straight west through the EATL-CATL on the 12z GFS. I'd like to see a much more impressive consensus, but this whole thing could be plausible (with some minor tweaking)

Also the 12z GFS makes it a decent tropical cyclone by 180 hours. Not liking the apparent weakness off of the east coast, but we'll deal with that in the future.

"Pouch Dude" already marked this up east of the PM

current_CIMSS.png

The "Senegal Screamer"TM actually moves WSW and straight west through the EATL-CATL on the 12z GFS. I'd like to see a much more impressive consensus, but this whole thing could be plausible (with some minor tweaking)

Also the 12z GFS makes it a decent tropical cyclone by 180 hours. Not liking the apparent weakness off of the east coast, but we'll deal with that in the future.

"Pouch Dude" already marked this up east of the PM

The "Senegal Screamer"TM gives a pretty direct hit on Bermuda on 8/20 before missing Cape Cod by only ~150 miles on 8/22 as it recurves. The point of us posting about this is that the GFS has it as practically a TS in just three days from now and it has W to maybe even WSW motion from the time it leaves Africa and for a number of days afterward, which is the kind of CV storm track about which to be extra wary based on historical tracks (although El Nino climo makes it tougher than average for one of these to make it all the way across.)

The GFS brought "gordon crusher" back after keeping it weak since 0z last night; that's a good sign for at least some developement. Once again, the GFS barely manages a recurve but it's long-range and the WSW movement early is a cause for concern. Considering the upstream patterns, this could go in many different directions but it seems since it begins at an obnoxiously high laditude when crossing into the Atlantic; it argues more strongly for a tropical cyclone that does not affect the carribean but is instead exclusively a threat to Florida or the East Coast. As mentioned many times, the possible WSW movement is cause for concern and increases the probability of landfall.

The upcoming week will feature lower pressures and near average temperatures over Eastern North America and there are indications that this pattern will change as potential Gordon is approaching the conus.

The upcoming week will feature lower pressures and near average temperatures over Eastern North America and there are indications that this pattern will change as potential Gordon is approaching the conus.

Naming things before their time is a really bad and confusing idea.

INVEST 92L could beat P13L (in the absence of any other designation, we have to go with "Pouch Guy") to "Gordon" status.

One thing about P13L is that it has already lost a lot of latitude over Africa already, looking at EUMETSAT loops.

INVEST 92L could beat P13L (in the absence of any other designation, we have to go with "Pouch Guy") to "Gordon" status.

One thing about P13L is that it has already lost a lot of latitude over Africa already, looking at EUMETSAT loops.

Pretty strongly agree with this, especially since we have pouch designations in the Atlantic. Let's try to be cognizant of naming conventions.

Good point, it's interesting to note that 92L does not have any model support; reminds me of Florence in a sense.

Archived