Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one coming off Africa on Thursday will be followed for 2 weeks according the past few runs of the GFS. Could be a threat to ultimately end The Seven Year Streak of 0 US major hurricane landfalls.

Cannot believe it has been that long, wow....Hurricane Wilma was the last major hurricane to make landfall in the United States; and the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic; within the most active tropical season ever. It seems it's all or nothing with major hurricane landfalls. Nonetheless, Hurricane Andrew was a strong landfall in a inactive year; among others.

Cannot believe it has been that long, wow....Hurricane Wilma was the last major hurricane to make landfall in the United States; and the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic; within the most active tropical season ever. It seems it's all or nothing with major hurricane landfalls. Nonetheless, Hurricane Andrew was a strong landfall in a inactive year; among others.

The previous longest US major hurricane drought was from 1900-1906. It's a remarkable streak that might never be broken. And considering we're in a hyper active hurricane era makes it even more impressive. Part of the good luck has been the uncanny ability of hurricanes to undergo perfectly timed eyewall replacement cycles just prior to striking the US, thus lowering the winds.

The previous longest US major hurricane drought was from 1900-1906. It's a remarkable streak that might never be broken. And considering we're in a hyper active hurricane era makes it even more impressive. Part of the good luck has been the uncanny ability of hurricanes to undergo perfectly timed eyewall replacement cycles just prior to striking the US, thus lowering the winds.

There is no real evidence of this.

About half the 18Z GFS ensembles have a 1004 mb or stronger low East to Northeast of the Northern Lesser Antilles in 10 days, and some seem to have the trough far enough West or sharp enough than an ECUSA threat is at least somewhat possible beyond that. 12Z GFS ensembles similar. Still a couple 18Z ensembles with somewhat lower pressure in the BoC in 10 days, but less than the 12Z GFS.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

Operational GFS MJO looks sort of favorable, Euro even more so for activity out about then.

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

post-138-0-55666300-1344215619_thumb.gif

Long-range GFS continues to suggest multiple tropical waves with a possible significant landfall.

I believe the disturbance that the GFS has picked up on is the one causing the blow-up of convection over western Niger on this satellite photo.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/nexsat-bin/nexsat.cgi?BASIN=CONUS&SUB_BASIN=focus_regions&AGE=Latest&REGION=AFRICA&PRODUCT=vis_ir_background&SUB_PRODUCT=meteo8&SIZE=Full&DISPLAY=Single&PATH=AFRICA/NorthWest/vis_ir_background/meteo8&CURRENT=20120806.0300.msg_2.visir.bckgr.AFRICA_NorthWest.NGT.jpg&SECTOR=NorthWest&

Regarding the Cape Verde wave that the GFS has been developing for several runs by next weekend, two issues come to mind:

1) Has a TD ever developed so far north (17-18N) in the east Atlantic and gone on to impact the U.S.? In order to do so, it would need an extremely strong ridge to the north, especially if it strengthens quickly.

2) Larry (GaWx's) WSW rule. Larry found that developing systems in the E. Atlantic that move south of due west for at least 12 hours have a significantly better chance of impacting the U.S. later on.

The GFS has been showing south of due west motion with this system in the E. Atlantic for a few runs now.

Long-range GFS continues to suggest multiple tropical waves with a possible significant landfall.

00zgfstropical850mbVortSLP384.gif

One underperorming storm in the Caribbean, and it is now open season for the 16 day GFS. Good thing, it is a hotlink, so we will have a new 16 day GFS each day to tease and amaze.

Ignoring the imminent MA landfall at the end of the post-truncation fantasy phase of the 12Z GFS, sort of, through Hour 192, the wave, potential Gordon, that would come off Africa in about 4 days, would cruise almost due West despite being near 20ºN latitude through its first four days offshore.

The plausible, and the glass 5/32nds optimistic. 2 new replies. I will not be the first w/ the MA picture...

ETA

I'll delete the 384 MA attachment if PSUBlizz really, really wants me to.

While I'm editing, potential Baltimore Basher Gordon.

EDIT TWO- Use your imagination on what the GFS is threatening the MA with. GFS image deleted.

irnm7.GIF

post-138-0-33323400-1344271878_thumb.gif

We should enforce a limit of nothing beyond the 192 hr GFS.

Posted for the sake of continuity; and also because I was offended by Ed's sarcastic remarks. The tropical wave that spawns Gordon is well out into the Atlantic before Truncation. It's not something that is likely to happen but I do believe there will be a real landfall threat (anywhere in the conus).

Posted for the sake of continuity; and also because I was offended by Ed's sarcastic remarks. The tropical wave that spawns Gordon is well out into the Atlantic before Truncation. It's not something that is likely to happen but I do believe there will be a real landfall threat (anywhere in the conus).

How can you say that there will be a real landfall threat from an MCS that's just entering E Mali as we speak? Especially when climo is for at least 3 out of every 4 tropical waves to fizzle out, and of those waves that do develop, more than 3 out of 4 to recurve?

Archived