CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August 2012 Banter thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to the rover engineers. That was a piece of flying!! Mind blowing what they can do. T

Ditto! It's pretty amazing to have a computer pre-programmed to do all the right maneuvers necessary to land Curiosity on Mars when they work on a 14-minute delay due to the distance, yet the actual trip through the atmosphere only took seven minutes. Thus, by the time we learned of it entering the atmospheric descent, it had already been on the ground (or destroyed, if things had gone badly) for seven minutes.

Mind-boggling, to say the least...

As if this summer from hell couldn't get any worse... I've been teased with thunder for the last hour but of course the storms missed me to the west by 10 miles and to the north by 5 miles. There looks like there is a good batch of rain moving through Alabama headed east but I'm willing to bet there's a 90% chance it will dissipate by the time it gets here.

Since we get a lot of the same type of posts complaining about rainfall IMBY during the summer months, I thought the following was appropriate.

Oh, and just to join in with others on this board, "I've only gotten 0.75 inch of rain so far in August! (True) My house must be located in the driest place on the continent! (False)"

(Just having a little fun here, people, no big worries!)

From Brad Panovich's (Chief Meteorologist at WCNC, Charlotte's NBC affiliate) Facebook page:

post-4420-0-01651400-1344616622_thumb.pn

Even better then! But don't shoot the messenger: I'm just re-posting Brad's map.

Yeah I had a stellar July in the rain department. Big time storms every 3-4 days was the norm. Makes me wonder how many other areas may be over or under on that map?

So far this weeks been a bust with only a inch on Tuesday morning.

I was doing outdoor work in the Lake Lure area of NC (mountains just east of Asheville) last week. It was a typical hot, humid day, the elevation was probably 1200 feet ASL...not that much higher than my home. Anyway a storm developed right on the slope of the mountain and came toward us, but we kept working. When the rain drops hit, they were extremely cold! I've never experienced rain drops so cold in Summer, or I must have forgotten how cold the drops are. Not sure how to explain the difference in droplet temperature, other than the fact that you're closer to the cloud base. It was pretty neat to experience. I never even think about the temp of rain drops at home.

My wife and I welcomed our second child into this world Monday! A little baby boy! Four weeks premature but he is in NICU do very well. Very excited and am blessed to have a new addition to our family.

Congrats on your new one!

Archived