Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
August 2012 Obs/Disc

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is not bad for DCA. Where do you find temp data that far back? I'd like to check somewhere closer to my area (Winchester Regional, perhaps); seems like it was warmer than that here.

The easiest way I've found to obtain daily temperature data for the past 30 years is Weather Underground. For example, last Labor Day (September 5, 2011) the high temperature at Winchester Regional was 73; see http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

The easiest way I've found to obtain daily temperature data for the past 30 years is Weather Underground. For example, last Labor Day (September 5, 2011) the high temperature at Winchester Regional was 73; see http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

Thank you for the link; that's a great site.

OK, then back to the topic at hand...

3 day Labor Day holiday period highs at Winchester....

2011: 86 / 89 / 73

2010: 80/ 81/ 86

Not much to complain about Labor Day 2011, but it took a cloudy, rainy day to accomplish that 73F high. Sat and Sunday were very hot, however. So there wasn't a decent outdoor day that weekend.

2010 was reasonable, except for Labor Day itself, which was hot.

In all, I guess it wasn't that bad. I'll have to change my complaint to that it's been hotter than I'd like on every holiday weekend. It may be more interesting to see the temps for Mem and Easter weekends, as any heatwaves on those dates would be more anomolous. When I get a second I'll do a little research.

On my travels up I-79 today I noticed the leaves changing color already. A lot of yellows showing through.

Up by Snowshoe where I'm living (until Friday) the colors are really starting to come out. I'll be moving to a house in Hillsboro, which is in the valley, so I'll be reporting from 2600' during this winter season. I think they only average about 80 inches of snow a year down there as opposed to 150 or more at Snowshoe, but its a short drive to the higher elevations!

On my travels up I-79 today I noticed the leaves changing color already. A lot of yellows showing through.

Up by Snowshoe where I'm living (until Friday) the colors are really starting to come out. I'll be moving to a house in Hillsboro, which is in the valley, so I'll be reporting from 2600' during this winter season. I think they only average about 80 inches of snow a year down there as opposed to 150 or more at Snowshoe, but its a short drive to the higher elevations!

That's still a lot of snow compared to the rest of us. You will get to observe the upslope effect from moisture coming off the lakes. We see that in my area to a smaller extent, usually dustings to an inch or two. The flow has to be just right off the lakes for my area. I'm looking forward to your observations this winter season.

The other day I raised a complaint about heat waves arriving just in time for holiday weekends. Rodney pointed out that last Labor Day was below avg in temp. I went back and researched to see if my complaints had a basis in fact. Using WXunderground (thanks Rodney S), I recorded the high temp of each holiday period at Winchester Regional (generally 3-day period, since most are observed on Monday) and compared them to the high temps of the 3-days prior to the holiday and the 3-days after the holiday. To condense the data I used the average of each 3-day period, and am ignoring the data for the 3-day post-holiday period. Holidays from Easter through Columbus Day were considered since 2010, when this awful heat regime began. Here is what I found:

2010 (holiday) (prior) (post)

Easter 77.0 68.7 87.7

Mem Day 87.3 85.0 88.3

July 4th 95.3 80.3 100.3

Labor Day 82.3 97.0 87.3

Columbus 84.7 69.3 70.3

Easter 67.7 70.3 83.7

Mem Day 86.7 84.3 90.7

July 4th 90.0 85.7 91.0

Labor Day 82.7 79.7 65.7

Columbus 74.3 70.7 64.7

Easter 63.3 67.7 57.3

Mem Day 87.7 79.0 83.0

July 4th* 96.0 91.7 96.7

Labor Day ?? ?? ??

Columbus ?? ?? ??

* holiday on Wednesday, so this is a single-day high.

OK, so of the last 13 holidays 10 times we've seen the avg of the 3-day holiday greater than the avg high of the 3-days prior (77%). Here is a summary of the departures for these holidays (holiday high - 3 days prior high) in chronological order:

+8.3

+2.3

+15.0

+15.4

+2.4

+4.3

+3.0

+3.6

+8.7

+4.3

There is a strong tendency for whatever reason to see heat increasing significantly on holiday weekends. Maybe it's related to the east coast weekend snow storm phenomenom, I don't know. In any event, I have a basis then for my complaints. I didn't include the avg climo highs for these dates, but most disturbingly the avg holiday-period highs are greater than the avg climo high temps 100% of the time. Due to today's torch this Labor Day should hopefully see lower temps than the 3-day prior period, but we look to be well above avg climo again. That'll be 14 for 14.

Archived