wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the line of storms on the island looks like its moving more south now. any thoughts?

I'm in Lindenhurst and have some towers going up over me. Hearing some thunder, but nothing too exciting. Hope it's not robbing me of the action that looks to be heading in from the North.

Best storm I've been in since the tornado and Macroburst in 2010.

Have to actually check roof of car for dents from the hail. Seeing trees and large limbs down just off side of LIE. Tough to gauge in car but winds had to be over 60mph.

Have to actually check roof of car for dents from the hail. Seeing trees and large limbs down just off side of LIE. Tough to gauge in car but winds had to be over 60mph.

How big was the hail on LIE by Plainview? When the cell went through my parent's house in Muttontown near Northern Blvd. my bro said it was about pea size hail only. My weather station had about .30 of rain in 10 min, so a nice quick hit of rain, only gusted to 21MPH though.

I think I missed the worst of it. The trees aren't even flinching here.

The rain/mixed hail is intense though, & the sun still manages to be out in all of this.

last destructive Derecho around here in Middlesex/Union counties was the labor day 1998 - many of the younger guys and gals around here might or might not remember - but its something I will never forget 100 mph winds and $ 3000 damage to the house - too bad they are so destructive kind of takes the fun away tracking them ......thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the Derecho a couple days ago.....

Yeah, that map has our region in the derecho every 2 yrs zone. Our last one was 1998, 14 years ago, so I guess we're way overdue for one. The 1990s generally were a helluva lot better T-storm wise than the 2000s. Have to take the good with the bad -- less T-storms, more snow...vice versa.

Yeah, that map has our region in the derecho every 2 yrs zone. Our last one was 1998, 14 years ago, so I guess we're way overdue for one. The 1990s generally were a helluva lot better T-storm wise than the 2000s. Have to take the good with the bad -- less T-storms, more snow...vice versa.

i guess thats graph pretty flawed then. every two years and we havent seen one in 14 years? lets hope mid week here has a chance at happening then

SmokeEater: Thanks for the updates. I remember you from last year giving out very useful information about shear velocities and what not during the Super Tornado outbreak last year in the South last year. I did not post but was lurking and reading those threads in the Central and Southern states where you posted. I'm glad you are posting in this region too. I have a feeling something big will happen in this region soon, maybe a derecho since we're overdue. :)

Archived