• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

Radar is looking kind of anemic at 3:30 a.m. as any severe threat for tonight is now very unlikely along with any significant rainfall from showers - still the possiblity of a few showers in the next several hours - should be plenty of cloud cover also - chance of any T -storms later in the day is yet to be determined...........

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* AT 708 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

A THUNDERSTORM...PRODUCING STRONG WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER JUST

OFF SEASIDE HEIGHTS...MOVING EAST AT 35 KNOTS.

* THIS STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR

COASTAL WATERS FROM MANASQUAN INLET TO LITTLE EGG INLET NJ OUT 20

NM AT 720 AM EDT...

WATERS FROM SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE FROM 20 TO 40 NM AT

730 AM EDT...

COASTAL WATERS FROM SANDY HOOK TO MANASQUAN INLET NJ OUT 20 NM AT

730 AM EDT...

just a quick shower this morning and its pretty uncertain about showers this afternoon

agree very uncertain - problem with this is some folks might be caught off guard outside as more then likely there are going to be cells that pop up very fast as has been the pattern the last few weeks with these storms and sea breeze fronts will more then likely be the trigger in areas closer to the metro and coast .....................we got the early clearing so keep your radars handy...........

NAM has another round of storms moving through later on.

The models have been HORRIBLE handling the last few events.

HUGE bust this morning as the NAM as of yesterday morning had a MCS moving through...local Mets said goof chance of strong storms in the morning as did many on here...not even a rumble of thunder.

I do think we get some storms later though but that's not too hard to predict on a hot and humid day in July.

Srefs have been particularly poor handling these past few events.

The 12z 4KM NAM has multicell cluster of storm forming over PA late this afternoon. There is a weak shortwave over Lake Erie that is already triggering some t-storms this morning. But I'm not sure far north this will really be:

http://raleighwx.ame...flectivity.html

post-187-0-94077200-1341412932_thumb.gif

Check out the NAM sim radar posted by Bluewave yesterday around 5 pm...showed a big t-storm complex over us this morning...huge bust and the precip was way overdone. Models have been atrocious.

SREFS had us getting nailed with MCS this past weekend and it slipped 200 miles to our south. SREFS also overdid precip for this morning by a ton.

The models have been HORRIBLE handling the last few events.

HUGE bust this morning as the NAM as of yesterday morning had a MCS moving through...local Mets said goof chance of strong storms in the morning as did many on here...not even a rumble of thunder.

I do think we get some storms later though but that's not too hard to predict on a hot and humid day in July.

Srefs have been particularly poor handling these past few events.

The NAM did very well yesterday. The strong cells verified a little further south over the Jersey Shore with the early

marine warnings. The whole area saw rain with some embedded heavier convection. No one was ever talking

about a big severe threat since the instability parameters were marginal at best.

The NAM did very well yesterday. The strong cells verified a little further south over the Jersey Shore with the early

marine warnings. The whole area saw rain with some embedded heavier convection. No one was ever talking

about a big severe threat since the instability parameters were marginal at best.

NAM did very well? With all due respect, since you are a great poster, what you posted at 5 pm covered the area in yellow, when it was light rain, JFK recorded .04 of rain...sorry man, disagree.

I never said severe threat, i said storm threat. Local radio mets on 880 and 1010 were very bullish calling for strong storms "especially in the morning" starting late evening...

Also, the RAP has that big cluster in NE Penn slipping due south and missing the area entirely.

The soundings are heh today. Cape is fine as is instability, but the TT's not cracking 50 and the sweat being rather low is a good indication severe is not in the cards.

I do think we see some passing showers/thundershowers around 6-8 this evening slipping south from CT/Hudson valley though, hopefully out by 9

NAM did very well? With all due respect, since you are a great poster, what you posted at 5 pm covered the area in yellow, when it was light rain, JFK recorded .04 of rain...sorry man, disagree.

I never said severe threat, i said storm threat. Local radio mets on 880 and 1010 were very bullish calling for strong storms "especially in the morning" starting late evening...

Also, the RAP has that big cluster in NE Penn slipping due south and missing the area entirely.

How can you call a bust on mesoscale model that misses by 30-35 miles from 18hrs out.

You have to look at the general storm signal not the exact depiction when convection

is involved. If you were a boater looking at the NAM You would have delayed going out

until the storms passed.

NM AT 720 AM EDT...

730 AM EDT...

730 AM EDT...

How can you call a bust on mesoscale model that misses by 30-35 miles from 18hrs out.

You have to look at the general storm signal not the exact depiction when convection

is involved. If you were a boater looking at the NAM You would have delayed going out

until the storms passed.

NM AT 720 AM EDT...

730 AM EDT...

730 AM EDT...

Hey, i did say with all due respect...and yes there were a few storms over the Atlantic.

My point was not to rely on the NAM sim radar too much as it is not accurate pin pointing the location of storms lately...thats it.

Hey, i did say with all due respect...and yes there were a few storms over the Atlantic.

My point was not to rely on the NAM sim radar too much as it is not accurate pin pointing the location of storms lately...thats it.

For me it's good enough just to have the SIM radar firing convection near the region and then have

the storms verify even if they are off by 30-40 miles or so. You really rely on radar trends anyway

once the storms come into range. The NAM QPF can really get thrown off for absolute amounts

when convection is involved.

00Z SPC WRF is prety active for long island and jersey below NYC, maybe a sneaky cell in southern westchester

We could see some cells dropping down with a decent jet around 700 mb ahead of the stronger 500 mb winds to the north.

Archived