Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

Updated with today's max temps.

An update since the madness started. Maximum temperatures at the four longstanding Indiana stations since June 28. EVV being the epicenter.

® indicates daily record tied or broken.

Evansville

June 28: 107º ®

June 29: 107º ®

June 30: 106º ®

July 1: 105º ®

July 2: 103º ®

July 3: 97º

July 4: 103º ®

July 5: 107º ®

July 6: 104º ®

Fort Wayne

June 28: 106º ®

June 29: 94º

June 30: 90º

July 1: 94º

July 2: 93º

July 3: 95º

July 4: 101º ®

July 5: 101º ®

July 6: 101º ®

Indianapolis

June 28: 104º ®

June 29: 103º ®

June 30: 97º ®

July 1: 95º

July 2: 98º

July 3: 98º

July 4: 102º

July 5: 103º ®

July 6: 105º ®

South Bend

June 28: 100º

June 29: 87º

June 30: 89º

July 1: 92º

July 2: 93º

July 3: 94º

July 4: 100º ®

July 5: 100º ®

July 6: 102º ®

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22z RAP has the I-80 corridor including Chicago already above 100 at 10am tomorrow morning lol.

NAM has been indicating something like that for the past several runs. Models may be a little optimistic but wouldn't be surprised to see some areas get to 100 by 11 AM or so (barring any convective debris).

NAM has been indicating something like that for the past several runs. Models may be a little optimistic but wouldn't be surprised to see some areas get to 100 by 11 AM or so (barring any convective debris).

Just now got around to looking at the 12z Euro. Looks a tick faster on the fropa than the 00z. Gonna be a close call for ORD if that works out. The very warm start will certainly help their prospects though.

Geez MDW still sitting at 97. Temps have gone up the last few hours as the lake breeze retreated.

Yep. Even Northerly Island was back up in the mid 90's at the ob. It's going to be interesting to see just how warm it remains in the urban core (even including ORD and MDW). That will be a key to just how warm it can get tomorrow before the front passes.

Looks like the 0z NAM doesn't bring the front through until about 20z around here.

100+ opportunity for the Chicago and Detroit areas.

Skilling disagrees -- interestingly. If the front remains at bay until even early afternoon (18z), 100 would still be possible at ORD since 100 has been reached there during the noon hour the last few days. It'll be an interesting scenario to watch.

Looks like the 4km NAM brings the front through ORD between 1-2pm. Certainly late enough they should have 100+ in the bag by then barring no cloud issues.

Skilling going with a late morning frontal passage, which seems plausible. Wondering if he's thinking about cloud cover along the front holding down temperatures?

Skilling going with a late morning frontal passage, which seems plausible. Wondering if he's thinking about cloud cover along the front holding down temperatures?

Could be I guess. IMO 94 seems a bit low though considering it could easily be that at 10am. I believe it was 93 at 10am there today. It's gonna be interesting to watch, but if the front hangs up at all they could even give today's temps a run for their money.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

1001 PM CDT FRI JUL 6 2012    

DISCUSSION    

958 PM CDT    

BUMPED UP MINIMUM TEMPERATURES A LITTLE ACROSS THE CWA...AND   ESPECIALLY IN THE CHICAGO METRO AREA FOR TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES SO   FAR THIS EVENING ARE STILL REGISTERING AS WARM AS IF NOT A FEW   DEGREES WARMER IN PLACES AS COMPARED TO LAST NIGHT...AND SHOULD BE   ABLE TO MAINTAIN A LIGHT SOUTHWEST GRADIENT TONIGHT...WHEREAS LAST   NIGHT WINDS BECAME CALM FOR SOME AREAS. DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO   FORECAST FOR SATURDAY...THOUGH THERE ARE CONCERNS TO NOTE...MAINLY   REVOLVING AROUND FRONTAL TIMING. THE 18Z AND NOW 00Z NAM CONTINUE  TO COME IN WITH A MID AFTERNOON FROPA...AND THINK THIS MAY BE A  REASONABLE SOLUTION //IF NOT SLOWER// SINCE IT MAY BE DIFFICULT  FOR THE COLD FRONT TO PUSH INTO THE EXTREME HEAT WITHOUT MUCH  CONVECTION/COLD POOLING TO ASSIST. THE 00Z NAM DOES EVENTUALLY  DEVELOP ISOLD/SCATTERED CONVECTION ALONG THE FRONT SATURDAY  AFTERNOON ACROSS FAR NORTHERN ILLINOIS. GIVEN THE MODERATE TO  STRONG INSTABILITY THAT IS EXPECTED...WEAKLY CAPPED DURING THE  PEAK HEATING OF THE AFTERNOON...EVEN MODEST FORCING ALONG THE  FRONT SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT TO KICK OFF SOME THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY.  STRENGTH AND POSITION OF THE LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ALONG THE FRONT  IS THE BIG QUESTION MARK...BUT MAY BE BETTER OVER NORTHEASTERN  ILLINOIS WHERE THE FRONT WILL LIKELY SURGE AHEAD DOWN THE LAKE.  IF WE DO GET A LATER FRONTAL PASSAGE...THAN 100F AT ORD IS NOT OUT  OF THE QUESTION...LEADING TO RECORD BREAKING FOURTH CONSECUTIVE  100 DEGREE DAY FOR CHICAGO. BMD

There is a large discrepancy (like 10 degrees) between MET and the NAM 2m temps for ORD. MET has 93 while the 2m temps are safely into the 100s. As long as the frontal passage occurs after noon then I'd say it's likely they get to 100.

Yes, multiple times when the observation site was in or closer to downtown. Hasn't happened at the airport.

Wow, I guess thats a record to shoot for then. I think they may do it. They are 5 degrees higher than last night still and with the dewpoints pretty high it may stall the temps long enough. If the dews are this high tomorrow with the temps between 102-106 the HI may really be cranking. Im going to try to tough it out and go to the speedway tomorrow for some sportscar testing.

You read my mind Hoosier. I was really hoping to atleast tie the all time record during this heatwave. I dont think it will happen tomorrow, but I dont think were done for the summer yet. Im thinking IND will hit 103-105 again. We will see.

There's probably about 4 hours of cooling to go. Winds have gone calm so they could easily start losing 2-3 degrees an hour at least for a couple hours. I think it'll be close.

Archived