joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought in Lower Lakes/Ohio Valley

Geos

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relief possibly coming for parts of the Southern Great Lakes region by this weekend. Areas to benefit most appear to be eastern Illinois, into western Indiana.

I'll believe it when I see it in my rain gauge! Too many busts since May. Only 0.48" of rain since June 1st here.

I'll believe it when I see it in my rain gauge! Too many busts since May. Only 0.48" of rain since June 1st here.

Racine is at 0.60" since June 1st. Kind of suprised you have even less, seems like you have been somewhat closer to the action.

Edit: Actually we've had 0.73" of rain

Racine is at 0.60" since June 1st. Kind of suprised you have even less, seems like you have been somewhat closer to the action.

The northern part of the county has just missed the action ~ mainly going by to the south. Had a few misses where the storms went NW and hit your area. The cold rain we had on May 31st was the last rainfall over 0.50" - @ 0.81".

It is going to probably be to your East anyways.

Far SE LOT cwa should see widespread amounts around .2-.3 with higher amounts for the convectively lucky. Far north and west areas will probably be shut out. Mini drought buster looks on tap for areas well south/east.

Since 1 July, I have had 0.59 in. of rain, all in about 20 minutes on the 1st. Since 1 June, I have had 1.35 in., which is also my current total for meteorological summer. Since 1 May, I have had 4.60 in. Since 1 March, I have had 8.56 in. Since the beginning of the calendar year, I have had 11.31 in.

I took a bike ride to the next town to my south (Batavia, home of Thundersnow) and back via a trail that parallels the Fox River. Most of this route is forested. The undergrowth in these woods is showing signs of severe stress from heat and drought -- very dry and wilted.

Besides last Tuesday, when I might have picked up 0.05", we have not seen rain here in three and a half weeks (since June 16th). It's so bad that it is like hitting off a combination of straw and dirt on the fairways of golf courses, I played today at a course just north of Racine. I had a couple shots where I got 80-100 yards of roll.

Besides last Tuesday, when I might have picked up 0.05", we have not seen rain here in three and a half weeks (since June 16th). It's so bad that it is like hitting off a combination of straw and dirt on the fairways of golf courses, I played today at a course just north of Racine. I had a couple shots where I got 80-100 yards of roll.

Hoping for record WARMEST and DRIEST year :)

I think most areas could get a nice drought buster over the next 10 days. Yeah, there will be some hot sticky days mixed in, but it will be worth it to break the drought.

I don't know man. Yeah, the pattern isn't as atrocious as before but not really seeing enough precip on a large enough scale to "break" anything.

The Rideau River Watershed, which includes Canada's capital city of Ottawa, will be declaring voluntary water restrictions this week asking for residents to reduce water consumption by 20% after they declare the first level 2 drought in ten years in eastern Ontario. We're absolutely parched in my area with dead grass and weeds running amok, but we haven't been told to conserve water yet. There was a large grassfire today in the neighbouring township, though, and a no burning policy is in place which includes using chimneys. Crops are projected to be a disaster this year in the area and prices are already soaring. With the US crop failures- it's going to be an expensive year for produce and grocery. Maybe they'll lower the gas prices to compensate :whistle: we're at $4.75/US gallon right now.

It doesn't look good, at least 1988 had over 3 inches of rain each summer month...May was the killer that year.

Gasoline prices will rise...no doubt about it... feed corn will fight with ethanol ...food will win...ethanol will get chopped...less ethanol=more imports...I'd start looking for rising prices on Nov 6 or around there....

It doesn't look good, at least 1988 had over 3 inches of rain each summer month...May was the killer that year.

Gasoline prices will rise...no doubt about it... feed corn will fight with ethanol ...food will win...ethanol will get chopped...less ethanol=more imports...I'd start looking for rising prices on Nov 6 or around there....

Wrong subforum :P

Germantown, WI has issued a lawn watering ban...I can see more and more communities moving towards this sort of policy.

Pewaukee too.

----

This is a wetland area next to the Des Plaines River on the WI/IL border. It is almost completely dry, except a few mud puddles off to the left side of the pic. The river itself is at least 2 feet lower than normal.

531410_4336595339997_1077423663_n.jpg

Drought intensified over S WI/far northern IL in the last week. D4 conditions appearing around Evansville and Paducah. The few D0 areas around Kankakee and to the west have been taken over by D1.

midwest_dm.png

Archived