joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread III

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And those reasons are why EML are prolific lightning producers. Relates to #3 and graupel production.

When's the next EML advection? I'm feeling mid-July.

That's the best one. You get that violent plains like strobe flicker.

Agreed.

You see all the chaos your poor wording is causing? ;)

LOL. I never know if CT Rain is messing around or not. :weight_lift:

The wet microburst deal seems like the biggest threat. Would think its borderline to even be in slight risk, but it's the CAPE that will cause any fun, not shear.

You mean you don't enjoy flash flooding? ;)

I do agree though, that as far as the SPC severe criteria goes, wet microbursts will be the culprits.

Yeah 50 knot gusts will not be widespread but I do think it will be a very active afternoon.

Actually today will probably be pretty miserable for the warning forecasters. These are the kind of days where nothing is obviously severe. You don't have these clean thresholds for hail, you're just trying to catch a core before it dumps a boatload of rain and wind on somebody. So you are glued to the radar and keyed up for hours just like a June 1st kind of day, only everything looks like mush. Pretty draining and almost more nerve fraying.

Actually today will probably be pretty miserable for the warning forecasters. These are the kind of days where nothing is obviously severe. You don't have these clean thresholds for hail, you're just trying to catch a core before it dumps a boatload of rain and wind on somebody. So you are glued to the radar and keyed up for hours just like a June 1st kind of day, only everything looks like mush. Pretty draining and almost more nerve fraying.

Definitely. And when something becomes severe either by radar or observing, it won't do you much good to extrapolate the track. The motions will be more chaotic and things will pulse up and down quickly.

Best of luck to our NWS folk.

BOX..sounds like things kick off around 3:00pm or so

MAIN CONCERN FOR THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING IS THE POTENTIAL

FOR STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AHEAD OF A SLOW MOVING COLD

FRONT. MLCAPES WILL INCREASE TO 2000+ J/KG SO FAIRLY CONFIDENT

THAT SCT TSTMS WILL DEVELOP BY MID AFTERNOON AS FRONT WILL PROVIDE

A TRIGGER WHICH HAS BEEN MISSING LAST FEW DAYS. THE STORMS SHOULD

INITIALLY DEVELOP IN THE INTERIOR THEN MOVE TOWARD THE COAST BY

EARLY EVENING.

MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE MARGINAL AND 0-6KM SHEAR WILL BE 25-30

KT. THIS IS NOT ESPECIALLY STRONG BUT SUFFICIENT FOR SOME

ORGANIZATION OF STORMS WITH MULTICELLULAR CLUSTERS GIVEN MAGNITUDE

OF INSTABILITY. AND SOUNDINGS ARE SHOWING AN INVERTED V SOUNDING

PROFILE WHICH WOULD SUPPORT A FEW MICROBURSTS WITH STRONG TO

POSSIBLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL ALSO BE A THREAT

GIVEN HIGH PWATS OF 1.5 TO 2" WITH ISOLD FLOODING A CONCERN IF

STORMS CAN TRAIN OVER A PARTICULAR AREA.

BOX..sounds like things kick off around 3:00pm or so

MAIN CONCERN FOR THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING IS THE POTENTIAL

FOR STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AHEAD OF A SLOW MOVING COLD

FRONT. MLCAPES WILL INCREASE TO 2000+ J/KG SO FAIRLY CONFIDENT

THAT SCT TSTMS WILL DEVELOP BY MID AFTERNOON AS FRONT WILL PROVIDE

A TRIGGER WHICH HAS BEEN MISSING LAST FEW DAYS. THE STORMS SHOULD

INITIALLY DEVELOP IN THE INTERIOR THEN MOVE TOWARD THE COAST BY

EARLY EVENING.

MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE MARGINAL AND 0-6KM SHEAR WILL BE 25-30

KT. THIS IS NOT ESPECIALLY STRONG BUT SUFFICIENT FOR SOME

ORGANIZATION OF STORMS WITH MULTICELLULAR CLUSTERS GIVEN MAGNITUDE

OF INSTABILITY. AND SOUNDINGS ARE SHOWING AN INVERTED V SOUNDING

PROFILE WHICH WOULD SUPPORT A FEW MICROBURSTS WITH STRONG TO

POSSIBLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL ALSO BE A THREAT

GIVEN HIGH PWATS OF 1.5 TO 2" WITH ISOLD FLOODING A CONCERN IF

STORMS CAN TRAIN OVER A PARTICULAR AREA.

I think it may be earlier than 3 here.

Yup pretty much.

Wouldn't be surprised to see several decent flash flooding reports.

the 18z give or take has been a good threshold for a couple days now in timing convection. however, i've been more concerned on the early side. Convective temps will be reached by late morning, and i expect scattered stuff to be popping up shortly

edit: storms popping up along the jersey shore already (not where i visioned)

You mean you don't enjoy flash flooding? ;)

I do agree though, that as far as the SPC severe criteria goes, wet microbursts will be the culprits.

If I can get a good storm with heavy rain and decent lightning, it's a win in my book. I'm up in the lakes region until late today so we'll see what happens.

If I can get a good storm with heavy rain and decent lightning, it's a win in my book. I'm up in the lakes region until late today so we'll see what happens.

Flash flood hotspot for us actually. I expect timely storm reporting, since I assume you only need one hand for your beer.

We've actually got a good deal of moisture just above the surface, so dew points are actually mixing up initially this morning. It is a fairly shallow layer, so I expect them to start mixing down later in the afternoon. Still, mid 80s over mid 60s produces pretty good CAPE values (1500ish) based off the 12z GYX sounding.

Not much chance for hail, correct (I know, SNE, hail, but I figured I would ask)

Looking for some hail...

Soundings are quite saturated, and hence warmer as you move into the upper levels..so hail is not a big threat today at all. This is also why the conversation has been more about torrential rains and wet microbursts

From Noyes on Twitter

@MattNoyesNECN A slug of dry air aloft may limit areal coverage of thunderstorms in Central NewEng today, focus SE NY, CT, NJ

The HRRR has been pretty consistent through the last few runs of suppressing convection from NH through the CT/MA border. Basically forming clusters in the Tri-State area and central ME.

Archived