• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: OBS 12/15 - 12/25

Sounds like a recipe for Weather Model Soup (from Mt Holly):

KIND OF AN ECLECTIC COMBINATION OF MODELS WE DECIDED TO USE FOR THESHORT TERM BASED ON INITIALIZATION. FIRST THEJET STREAK IN MISSOURIIS PROBABLY WITHIN THE MODEL NOISE LEVEL, BUT WAS INITIALIZED UP TO10 KNOTS TOO WEAK PENDING ON MODEL OF CHOICE. SECOND THE SHORT WAVEIN WESTERN MINNESOTA WAS HANDLED THE BEST BY THE WRF-NMM WHICH HADECMWF SUPPORT FOR ITS EVOLUTION. THROUGH TONIGHT WE DECIDED TO GOWITH THE RGEM MODEL WHICH HANDLED BOTH FEATURES THE CLOSEST AND THENSEGUED TO A ECMWF/WRF-NMM COMPROMISE FOR THE REST OF THE SHORT TERM.

Toms River Obs: Feels like snow, smells like snow - must be chicken arrowheadsmiley.pngWarmer this morning up to 27F (14F yesterday)P = 30.01"DP = 16FH = 74 %

Would be nice for a white Christmas - as it is looking right now GFS has precip on border rain/snow (S/C coastal NJ) line until the storm winds up and heads a bit north and east. Heavier precip very close on Saturday but most seems to stay south and east - a few days away - fun to watch though

One reason why I am glad the ensembles are more suppressed than the OP. The snow is so close, it really is. No significant losses though, there will be many more events and snow chances to come.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a walk down memory lane for the 1966 Christmas snowstorm, triggered by my memory of the thunder snow. The link is to a dead blog on the topic over at Accuweather. Great to see the old hand-posted weather maps. I wonder how the modeling handled this at 240 hours out?

My link

POPs are creeping up...

Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday: Snow likely. Cloudy and blustery, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Nice day underway here in NW Chesco PA

my current Wxsim forecast has a sunny and chilly forecast for the upcoming holiday weekend

Saturday: Partly cloudy. High 34. Wind northwest around 12 mph.

Saturday night: Clear in the evening, becoming mostly clear after midnight. Low

19. Wind northwest around 9 mph.

Sunday: Sunny. High 31. Wind northwest around 10 mph.

Sunday night: Clear. Low 16. Wind north-northwest around 10 mph.

Monday: Sunny. High 28. Wind north around 13 mph.

my current Wxsim forecast has a sunny and chilly forecast for the upcoming holiday weekend

Saturday: Partly cloudy. High 34. Wind northwest around 12 mph.

Saturday night: Clear in the evening, becoming mostly clear after midnight. Low

19. Wind northwest around 9 mph.

Sunday: Sunny. High 31. Wind northwest around 10 mph.

Sunday night: Clear. Low 16. Wind north-northwest around 10 mph.

Monday: Sunny. High 28. Wind north around 13 mph.

who do you follow......wxsim or JB?????

It is a nice day today. Winds are lighter than the past few days, and temps in the upper 30's feel pretty warm when standing in the sun.

Regarding your Wxsim forecast, it might be a bit off for Sunday/Monday - if the last 4 to 5 runs of the Euro (particularly today's 12z run) are close to being correct. :snowman:

Yep...it really relies almost exclusively on the GFS past 72 hours so....if the GFS moves toward the EURO it will start to show snow with the new runs

It is a nice day today. Winds are lighter than the past few days, and temps in the upper 30's feel pretty warm when standing in the sun.

Regarding your Wxsim forecast, it might be a bit off for Sunday/Monday - if the last 4 to 5 runs of the Euro (particularly today's 12z run) are close to being correct. :snowman:

Finally on Vacation!

Toms River Obs:

T=30F

W= 18 mph - higher gusts (still can't believe it is still this windy)

P= 29.61 F

H = 50%

Quick POB on upcoming event: ECWF currently 1 - 1.25 QPF; GFS currently .25 to .50; NAM - I threw out - it decided to go to Cancun on Christmas break sun.gif- all others ???? - looks like it will stay cold enough for snow throughout along coastal NJ (if happens) So taking all models into account and throwing it into the IMBY weather computer - I will say 4-8" w/locally higher amounts along coastal communities. Reasoning - think that there will be consensus among the Euro and GFS - but Euro will shift a bit more east and GFS jogs a tad west.

Stocked up on all the essentials to read snowcasting and watch football on Sunday -- Bread, Milk, cold cuts, Beerthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived