Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Redesigned NWS page

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!!! They took the old forecast images that are 55x58px and are displaying them as 86x86px... they didn't even keep the proper aspect ratio. So two reasons they look blurry.

That was my big complaint in the comments I sent. I'm not sure why they did that. While I do like the current forecast icons (way better than those goofy cartoonish things they tried to replace them with a few years ago), I'm not sure why they thought doing that would look good.

My guess is that they might be planning to replace them with something else when they are completed. Any decent web developer knows you can't expand and image like that without making it look bad. There are about 400+ images that have to be created/updated so it's time consuming. It took me quite a while to apply a mask and shadow to the ones I have... and they all came directly from the NWS.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they've switched the design officially now...at least I'm getting the new design automatically when I go to weather.gov

And looks like were stuck with the crappy stretched out weather icons :yikes:

EDIT: lol....looks like the AFD pages are all broken...and a lot of the pages like CPC and HPC still have the old design...

Looks like they've switched the design officially now...at least I'm getting the new design automatically when I go to weather.gov

And looks like were stuck with the crappy stretched out weather icons :yikes:

It isn't working for my local NWS office page though, is it working for you?

What do you want us to do? We didn't design it.

Let the powers at be know how people feel. I know you didn't do it and this isn't pointed at you. I blame stupid web designers for the issues.

Why would you change a link for weather warnings???? Why change a link for the printable forecast???

I'd really like to get some answers.

Let the powers at be know how people feel. I know you didn't do it and this isn't pointed at you. I blame stupid web designers for the issues.

Why would you change a link for weather warnings???? Why change a link for the printable forecast???

I'd really like to get some answers.

I'll file a formal complaint with my MIC in the morning. Gotta warn you tho, nothing really goes uphill in the NWS. I'm lucky to have a job really.

I'll file a formal complaint with my MIC in the morning. Gotta warn you tho, nothing really goes uphill in the NWS. I'm lucky to have a job really.

I understand completely. And again... this isn't about the people in the local offices. This is much bigger than that.

And thank you for doing that. What they apparently don't understand is that there are many of us that help to spread the weather word. People use our sites to get their forecast, to view radar, view climate info. I have 1500 pages of weather information and I take pride in the fact that I can help inform the public about the weather, and much of that information comes from the NWS since it's public domain AND the "official" weather information site.

Nowhere in the beta test did they ever mention changing links to important pieces of information, if they had I most certainly would have made a comment. I feel like we've all been tricked.

Some of these links should be considered "legacy" links that should remain intact until people have been notified that they were going to be changed.

I understand completely. And again... this isn't about the people in the local offices. This is much bigger than that.

And thank you for doing that. What they apparently don't understand is that there are many of us that help to spread the weather word. People use our sites to get their forecast, to view radar, view climate info. I have 1500 pages of weather information and I take pride in the fact that I can help inform the public about the weather, and much of that information comes from the NWS since it's public domain AND the "official" weather information site.

Nowhere in the beta test did they ever mention changing links to important pieces of information, if they had I most certainly would have made a comment. I feel like we've all been tricked.

Some of these links should be considered "legacy" links that should remain intact until people have been notified that they were going to be changed.

I agree that page is not ready for prime time. However, that really is the way the NWS does things. Not finished? Send it out anyway...like AWIPS II, GFE, aviation grids, you name it. I always wonder what really goes on during their beta testing...if anything.

Our images didn't come from them anyway so what they display on their site isn't too important.

Yes, those are all re-designed images. For the longest time, they were using the old images blown up to 86x86. That's why they were fuzzy.

It looks like our scripts will be fixed this evening or possibly in the morning. I have my weather alert script working again (thanks to Curly), the meso-analysis map is working (must have been unrelated to the web site update), so now it's just the forecast script.

They have fixed the printable forecast icons.

The Southern Region still has the correct links to the weather alerts and fortunately it was a simple fix to make. It seems to be the Southern Region handles more data stuff than most of the other regions.

Our images didn't come from them anyway so what they display on their site isn't too important.

Yes, those are all re-designed images. For the longest time, they were using the old images blown up to 86x86. That's why they were fuzzy.

It looks like our scripts will be fixed this evening or possibly in the morning. I have my weather alert script working again (thanks to Curly), the meso-analysis map is working (must have been unrelated to the web site update), so now it's just the forecast script.

They have fixed the printable forecast icons.

The Southern Region still has the correct links to the weather alerts and fortunately it was a simple fix to make. It seems to be the Southern Region handles more data stuff than most of the other regions.

The new web pages were just implemented yesterday. Give it some time for the transition to be completed along with any broken links or page displays to be fixed.

I normally don't use their forecast office web sites, but many of us with personal websites and weather webpages use scripts that pull data from specific links on those pages though.

And no... they have no intent to fix those links, they are permanent changes.

Luckily... the script writers have already fixed the scripts. Although now on the forecast, the NWS is using the entire word "Thunderstorms" instead of Tstsm and it I had to do some reformatting to get it to fit.

Here's the Florida forecast page so you can see: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_forecast_fl.php

And no... fixing webpages is not the way I wanted to spend my vacation in Florida so that had me riled up too! :sun:

Archived