• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Redesigned NWS page

The thing I am most surprised by is the fact that it seems the mobile site was created as an afterthought. Although that's a classic mistake. However, once the bugs are worked out of the mobile site I'll be interested to see the full thing.

Reason why I am surprised is the undeniable fact that mobile computing is soon going to surpass desktop computing: http://marketingland.com/study-69-percent-access-the-mobile-internet-daily-4371 The overwhelming trend is "mobile first" web design.

Not going to judge too harshly though. For all I know, they may have plans for something with a responsive web design in the future.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem I have with it is the NOAA emblem right in front of the NWS emblem. Ha...they just had to budge their fat ass in there. Intially they were relagated to the small icon where the DOC icon is currently located. Hmmm, the NWS pages never had a DOC icon on previous webpages. laughoutloud.

The NWS should be part of the DOD or Homeland Security if you ask me. While weather has an effect on commerce it's not the biggest impact of weather by a long shot. The NWS is a life saving organization and as such belongs with the military or homeland securrity.

The mobile site is a disaster and the radar functionality is unsuable - like most of the other google maps based website, it crashed iPhone and iPads more often than not. Why they ruined the existing, barebones but ultrafast and easy mobile site is beyond me, but there's no accounting for motivation to waste OPM.

I really like this version. In the last version of the preview site they had bled the blue background gradient into the main content area and it just killed the appearance. This latest version is cleaner and flow of the content is better, IMO.

The only criticism I have is the forecast icons (rain/clouds/etc icons)... they are re-sized larger from their original versions and look blurry. New icons (or at least fixing up the current ones to account for the re-sizing) would keep the images crisp and up-to-date with the more modern design of the page.

I had sent an e-mail/feedback response for them to take a look into this when they were still previewing the design. I really hope they fix it because as a graphic artist/web designer.. it makes me cringe.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I like is on my local page, it seems that there is always an updated significant weather summary. Even though I'm in North Carolina, this is what is at the top of my point/click page for my location.

Disturbance in the Pacific Northwest to Bring Heavy Rain and Frequent Lightning Through Midweek

An unusually strong disturbance will remain over the Pacific Northwest through midweek, leading to increased precipitation chances. Flash Flood Watches have be issued for portions of the Pacific Northwest into the northern Rockies. Even though wetting rains are expected for most areas, frequent lightning in southeast Washington and eastern Oregon could be responsible for new fire starts.

Archived