• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May 4th - 16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

Maybe a quite early to mid May--thus far-- is a sign of big Late May/ June...

I'll drink to that. The mid lvl vort always progged a bit slow. Often there is too much talk of just potential rather than issues.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll drink to that. The mid lvl vort always progged a bit slow. Often there is too much talk of just potential rather than issues.

No there was definitely a trend slower with the upper trough. My excitement level from two days ago plummeted significantly with that trend. Still thought a few would pop, which they did, but they were still pwned by SW flow/mid level temps and late arrival.

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN

CHARLES MIX COUNTY UNTIL 845 PM CDT...

AT 835 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKING

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS

STORM WAS LOCATED 15 MILES NORTHEAST OF BURKE...OR 28 MILES SOUTH OF

KIMBALL...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

Quite common for storms to form near dark as evening decoupling forces the nocturnal LLJ to form and focuses convergence above the surface. Happens all the time in the plains.

I've noticed that quite a bit... the LLJ always seems to kick-in at night, therefore typically causing storms to fire..

00z NAM is out for tomorrow. It wants to fire convection across E KS and NW MO by 18z it looks like, which it has consistently had in todays runs. The 00z RAP wants to do the same thing. Instability is very high but wind shear pretty weak. (always have to watch out though considering how much instability is available) By 21z, the NAM wants to fire storms in S Central Kansas, and drops it SE, winds are a little bit more impressive in this area, with even higher cape values.

Moving way to slow for a derecho. Derechos haul arse.

I said that before it formed into a SQLN... I didn't figure it would be moving this slow... Definitely a big time Flash Flood/ Flood threat with this...

VALID 060251Z - 060415Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH

252...253...CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...A NEW WW MAY BE NEEDED ACROSS MUCH OF THE REMAINDER OF

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

DISCUSSION...LATEST RAPID REFRESH INDICATES THAT INTENSIFICATION OF

THE SOUTH SOUTHEASTERLY 850 MB JET TO AROUND 40 KT HAS OCCURRED

NEAR/NORTH OF MID MISSOURI VALLEY AREA. THIS HAS CONTRIBUTED TO

STRENGTHENING LOWER/MID TROPOSPHERIC WARM ADVECTION ACROSS MUCH OF

EASTERN SOUTH DAKOTA INTO WESTERN MINNESOTA...WHERE VIGOROUS

CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT ALSO CONTINUES TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE. A

GRADUAL CONSOLIDATION OF THIS ACTIVITY PROBABLY WILL CONTINUE TO

OCCUR...IN THE PRESENCE OF STRONG CONVECTIVE LAYER SHEAR. HOWEVER

...WARM ELEVATED MIXED LAYER AIR HAS GENERALLY CONFINED ACTIVITY TO

AREAS GENERALLY WELL NORTH OF A FAIRLY SHARP SURFACE FRONTAL ZONE.

POTENTIAL FOR THE EVENTUAL EVOLUTION OF A MORE ORGANIZED DAMAGING

WIND THREAT REMAINS UNCLEAR. BUT...STRONGER ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO

GRADUALLY DEVELOP NORTHEASTWARD AND EASTWARD...ROUGHLY ALONG THE 700

MB BAROCLINIC ZONE DEFINING THE NORTHERN EDGE OF STRONGER

CAPPING...COINCIDING WITH THE GRADUAL VEERING THE OF THE LOW-LEVEL

JET...ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA THROUGH 05-06Z.

post-252-0-64743600-1336273842_thumb.gif

00z NAM is out for tomorrow. It wants to fire convection across E KS and NW MO by 18z it looks like, which it has consistently had in todays runs. The 00z RAP wants to do the same thing. Instability is very high but wind shear pretty weak. (always have to watch out though considering how much instability is available) By 21z, the NAM wants to fire storms in S Central Kansas, and drops it SE, winds are a little bit more impressive in this area, with even higher cape values.

Looking at some of the forecast soundings across parts of KS/MO and they are quite impressive. Despite lack of shear soundings have a very classic inverted-v look so with the extreme instability in place any storms will certainly have potential to produce some pretty strong microbustst winds. Of course with such steep lapse rates and not too high freezing levels large hail will certainly be possible.

Noticed an area of enhanced vertical shear too across KS so supercells would certainly be possible across central/eastern KS and perhaps the threat for a few tornadoes given enhanced helicity.

Looking at some of the forecast soundings across parts of KS/MO and they are quite impressive. Despite lack of shear soundings have a very classic inverted-v look so with the extreme instability in place any storms will certainly have potential to produce some pretty strong microbustst winds. Of course with such steep lapse rates and not too high freezing levels large hail will certainly be possible.

Noticed an area of enhanced vertical shear too across KS so supercells would certainly be possible across central/eastern KS and perhaps the threat for a few tornadoes given enhanced helicity.

Yeah, I was looking at the Hodographs for tomorrow around Topeka, and Emporia (just East-Central KS in general), and they are pretty nice looking...

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?sounding.x=497&sounding.y=352&prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2012&model_mm=05&model_dd=06&model_init_hh=00&fhour=18&parameter=CAPE&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false&sounding=y&sndclick=y

Yeah, I was looking at the Hodographs for tomorrow around Topeka, and Emporia (just East-Central KS in general), and they are pretty nice looking...

http://www.twisterda...ng=y&sndclick=y

The hodo's aren't bad looking, supportive of supercells but given how weak the shear is the threat for tornadoes probably isn't all too high and the skew-t's are more suggestive of downbursts/microbursts. Anyways there could be some pretty sick hailers tomorrow given those lapse rates/instability values, especially in any more discrete cells that take on supercell characteristics.

I'm thinking the best tornado threat tomorrow (albeit not too high) will be near the subforum boundary between C/W and GLOV...like around IL/eastern IA/southern WI. Nice veering with height but flow isn't very strong...I'd be a lot more concerned if it was a bit stronger.

Well, unfortunately we are temporarily broken down east of Knoxville. Not completely sure what's wrong but the car is not driveable. Debating on waiting till Monday to tow it to a mechanic or just going ahead and towing it back to Asheville tomorrow and jumping in another's car for the trip. Either way, we can't chase tomorrow. Its a bummer, because KS into OK is starting to look promising... its that kind of year...

Archived