joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 4th - 16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Famous TV star Reed Timmer likes Saturday, and I quote "the pattern is going to get crazy".

Really? time to get real, where is the sheer? All post frontal passage IMO. Strong winds could be seen if a MCS should develop over MN Sat night. This is way to early, so take this with a big grain of salt. Based on what I'm seeing to date from the models runs, here is what I think the first day one outlook will look for the Upper Mississippi Valley for Saturday. Tornado 2%, Hail 5%, wind 15% (could go to 30%), sheer values are so pathetic that I don't think we will see a hatched area for winds.

Really? time to get real, where is the sheer? All post frontal passage IMO. Strong winds could be seen if a MCS should develop over MN Sat night. This is way to early, so take this with a big grain of salt. Based on what I'm seeing to date from the models runs, here is what I think the first day one outlook will look for the Upper Mississippi Valley for Saturday. Tornado 2%, Hail 5%, wind 15% (could go to 30%), sheer values are so pathetic that I don't think we will see a hatched area for winds.

It's funny on Twitter to watch people comment on the weekend potential. You can tell the chasers who are bored really easily. Sat looks like it has the most potential and it's probably not a ton tornadowise.

*Shear... Oh, and btw, this is 7+ Days out so it's pretty difficult in general to guess where the best shear will be... But when you look at all the winds (500mb, 200mb, etc...) They look pretty impressive... Though I do agree that a lot of the winds especially the strongest appear to be Post-Frontal...

*Shear... Oh, and btw, this is 7+ Days out so it's pretty difficult in general to guess where the best shear will be... But when you look at all the winds (500mb, 200mb, etc...) They look pretty impressive... Though I do agree that a lot of the winds especially the strongest appear to be Post-Frontal...

Pretty sure he is talking about this weekend's threat...

00z GFS is stringing the energy out in the west before a quality ejection can take place :axe:

That said:

I) There is a ton of juice waiting to be advected north prior to it (This is Late May, after all).

II) Most of the GFS ensemble members do not support the OP's idea.

And last but not least...

III) This is still 7+ days out.

As you can see, the OP is quite the outlier here:

24mxous.jpg

The 00z Euro sets up a very broad upper trough across the west with multiple upper level shortwaves/impulses between 144 hrs and the end of the run. The GGEM, on the other hand, is a large meridional trough with a similar structure to the May 22nd/23rd, 2008 system (Windsor/Quinter).

Thanks for the spelling correction, and yes I was talking about this weekend

In a word, wow....not only that, but that upler/mid level jet streak coming ashore is crazy...

yeah.. and it just keeps on going. even the end of the run would imply more to come.

I'll throw one in as well if necessary

nice.. if we get a collection of 'em it should be good. ;)

12z EURO likes the idea of a train of troughs at the end of the run.

I know this has been moved to a new thread, but I wanted to post this here so peep's get the joke.

Attn Ian, the good news is that your wallet is fatter, the bad news is your down to one kidney...

CENTRAL_GFS_ATMOS_SCP_108HR.gif

CENTRAL_GFS_ATMOS_STP-NEW_108HR.gif

All the ingredients are there, the one thing that I wish were better was 0-6km shear, it seems marginal at around 35-40 knots, but given every thing else, this could be a high cape low shear event, and surprise some people.

I work the next 5 days so here is a link to where I get this at.

http://www.wxcaster.com/experimental_products.htm

To see other parameters like VGP, 0-3km cape,0-1 EHI, and a boat load of other parameters look at this page

http://wxcaster.com/conus_0012_us_models.htm

all of these are courtesy of Earl Barkers site...which I use often.

http://wxcaster.com/models_main.htm

^ All is going according to plan... what we'll get are crappy, nontornadic storms right over the place I was hoping to view the eclipse from (Wichita Mtns)... after 2 weeks straight of no convection, of course.

well at least you wont have an outbreak happen while you're on a plane to get in a car to go to the plains. ;)

^ All is going according to plan... what we'll get are crappy, nontornadic storms right over the place I was hoping to view the eclipse from (Wichita Mtns)... after 2 weeks straight of no convection, of course.

Are you saying you'd rather see an eclipse over a few Robust Thundershowers?!?! :D

Archived