wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
May 4th - 16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not to dig on anyone chasing today but you know it's a rough year when people are willing to go into that area to chase. no coverage and questionable as to safety.

Given the activity expected the next week I don't blame anyone for taking what is available...even out in the middle of nowhere west TX.

true... i mean the likelihood of trouble is probably low but it's kind of a shady area.

12z EURO looks pretty good at the end of the run again. I think it would probably lead to some sort of outbreak the 24th+ if it went that far.

Late week/weekend also seems to have increasing potential.

12z EURO looks pretty good at the end of the run again. I think it would probably lead to some sort of outbreak the 24th+ if it went that far.

Late week/weekend also seems to have increasing potential.

Wow, no kidding... I never thought we'd see a run showing a big wrn trough before Memorial Day. This run actually reminds me a bit of the ones around the 11-12th in May 2008. Pattern looked straight-up awful into the forseeable future, then the EC suddenly started showing big, broad wrn troughing in the D8-10 range, while the GFS resisted until it was inside of a week. People in Windsor, Quinter and Parkersburg can tell you which solution won out.

Wow, no kidding... I never thought we'd see a run showing a big wrn trough before Memorial Day. This run actually reminds me a bit of the ones around the 11-12th in May 2008. Pattern looked straight-up awful into the forseeable future, then the EC suddenly started showing big, broad wrn troughing in the D8-10 range, while the GFS resisted until it was inside of a week. People in Windsor, Quinter and Parkersburg can tell you which solution won out.

ensemble mean looks fairly similar (kinda washed out comparitively but usually the case i guess).

Have to agree there, that is an impressive looking long wave taking shape...

18z GFS has a big low same general timeframe.. perhaps a little faster than the euro still. Since I'm silly enough to keep looking further downstream, the pattern looks ripe down the line on the op even if fantasy.

Have to agree there, that is an impressive looking long wave taking shape...

Does it have it staying together? When it reaches the Plains/ Northern-Plains... What portion of the Plains does it have affecting?

It's at the end of the run so I'm not sure, this 10 days out too so I wouldn't take it too seriously (to the point where we specify which portion of the country it could affect). The main thing is that there is a signal there and it is across the spectrum of models for the most part.

I will say, on the 18z GFS for 228-252 it's not really showing any significant moisture at ALL where the best winds are... Therefore no instability, granted it's 8+ days out and the models nearly never really verify past 9 days... And that it is only the GFS...

I will say, on the 18z GFS for 228-252 it's not really showing any significant moisture at ALL where the best winds are... Therefore no instability, granted it's 8+ days out and the models nearly never really verify past 9 days... And that it is only the GFS...

looks like it would be sufficient as is particularly for eastern plains/upper midwest perhaps southern canada on the 24th. one thing you can see plainly is how the gfs likely mishandles the trough after truncation. so if it's real at least would not get into timing too much yet.

looks like it would be sufficient as is particularly for eastern plains/upper midwest perhaps southern canada on the 24th. one thing you can see plainly is how the gfs likely mishandles the trough after truncation. so if it's real at least would not get into timing too much yet.

It looks fine to me after truncation. We are getting way ahead of ourselves though.

It looks fine to me after truncation. We are getting way ahead of ourselves though.

seems like it unravels the trough faster than it should based on the prior run of panels but maybe not meaningful at all. and yeah..

Looking at Saturday night, severe storms IMO are possible from sw NE up to Duluth MN, because of week sheer values above 850mb I don't think a large hail event is in the mix, the greatest threat will be winds as the cold front comes in, some storms could see winds above the 58mph threshold. The GFS is having some problems with this cold front, I am currently waiting until this system gets into the UKMET's wheelhouse, to see if it concurs with the Gem and ECMWF.

GFS may be over doing moisture for this weekend in the Upper Midwest; however, I believe enough will be there. Normally the Gulf is not wide open with a surface ridge back in the Tennessee Valley, based on pattern recognition. Digging deeper though, one can see the South was never scoured out by the last system. Plenty of moisture is in place to return. Texas dews are a little low today as I type, but a southeast fetch will quickly fix that issue and allow ample time for moisture to work up to Minnesota. This time of year 3 days is an eternity. I have no dog in this hunt, but believe a chasable event will unfold.

Next week it appears a repeat will be in the cards. Memorial Day climatology almost always delivers. Continued progressive flow, as opposed to a death ridge, is forecast. Not much skill beyond that so far out. However one can observe a fairly active flow off the Pacific into the Pac NW forecast at that time. Downstream short waves should result in the Plains or northern Plains.

Though we are in a dull patch at the moment, looks like May action is far from over. Perhaps not a big outbreak in the cards, but I see a couple multi-day local chase setups the next two weeks. Location(s) next week TBD. Cheers!

figured it would go from worry of nothing to worry of too soon (if we drive nonstop might get out by 24th). pattern looks solid tho.. 6z gfs giant northeast vortex aside.

Archived