• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 4th - 16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

If you want to chase a band of showers/thunderstorms, come on up to southern Manitoba tomorrow. Nothing will thrill you more than some small hail and the odd gust of wind.

In all seriousness, it's cool to be talking about any thunder potential in early to mid May. I'll take anything this early.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is indicating that June will be lame as well?

nothing in particular but if we run up weeks in a row of very quiet gotta wonder a bit. long range gfs still has hints of something better here and there toward the end but it's fairly ugly. long range models are dart throwing in many ways but maybe less so with large scale patterns than specific storms etc.

Long range 12z GFS also has a fantasy tropical system late in its run lol

wonder how much if at all that messes up the mid lvl pattern on the model. perhaps not at all.. seems highly unlikely that its real of course.

Well my C/W fellow posters, some interesting news. I have accepted a position as a general met in Anchorage, AK. I will be leaving NE in 1.5 months. I don't plan on leaving the forums or quitting as mod though, at least that is the plan. I am sure most of you would much rather see me leave ;)

But it is quite a day for me. Severe weather is something I am still delving into...I will fully admit my knowledge is noobish compared to some of the elite posters here, but winter weather has always been my love. Anchorage should fit me nicely.

Congrats B/I on the new gig!....I do hope you have the time to post after you get settled. I have always enjoy your analytical posts and always look forward to your winter wx event discussion contributions to the board.

(Off Topic, but there is nothing to talk about so whatever) Apparently the NWS will now have an Hourly Weather Forecast graph and it goes out about 5 days... Or at least that's what it shows on the Local Forecast Preview pages. Please tell me the NWS isn't trying to become AccuWx. :D

The site is much more modern/prettier looking, and slightly more amateur user friendly. (Not that anybody really goes to the NWS WFO pages for basic weather information anyway)

(Off Topic, but there is nothing to talk about so whatever) Apparently the NWS will now have an Hourly Weather Forecast graph and it goes out about 5 days... Or at least that's what it shows on the Local Forecast Preview pages. Please tell me the NWS isn't trying to become AccuWx. :D

This has always been avaliable.

Well my C/W fellow posters, some interesting news. I have accepted a position as a general met in Anchorage, AK. I will be leaving NE in 1.5 months. I don't plan on leaving the forums or quitting as mod though, at least that is the plan. I am sure most of you would much rather see me leave ;)

But it is quite a day for me. Severe weather is something I am still delving into...I will fully admit my knowledge is noobish compared to some of the elite posters here, but winter weather has always been my love. Anchorage should fit me nicely.

Congrats.

tomorrow looks more interesting in s tx with new nam. seems there've been a lot of supercell days down in that area this yr. not to mention the ones there tonight.

I've been reading how most people are almost ready to give up on the severe season. In some respects this reminds of 2010, and the Vortex 2 project where they had trouble finding tornado's in the plain states. Their funding would allow them to be active up until June 1st or there about. But after June 1st all hell broke out up here in the Upper Mississippi Valley, and they missed that. I have a gut feeling (no science behind it), that this is possible again this year. Of course I don't think anything is even remotely possible this year compared to 2010 when MN had 48 tornado's on June 17th. However I do think the baroclinic (sp) zone will set up over the northern plains from the end of May through the end of June. So I would say this, north of the I-80 corridor could be very active during the next 6- 8 weeks. Could it extend into southern Canada? my guess is yes. For storm chasers I hope I'm right, for those that could be impacted I hope I'm wrong.

I've been reading how most people are almost ready to give up on the severe season. In some respects this reminds of 2010, and the Vortex 2 project where they had trouble finding tornado's in the plain states. Their funding would allow them to be active up until June 1st or there about. But after June 1st all hell broke out up here in the Upper Mississippi Valley, and they missed that. I have a gut feeling (no science behind it), that this is possible again this year. Of course I don't think anything is even remotely possible this year compared to 2010 when MN had 48 tornado's on June 17th. However I do think the baroclinic (sp) zone will set up over the northern plains from the end of May through the end of June. So I would say this, north of the I-80 corridor could be very active during the next 6- 8 weeks. Could it extend into southern Canada? my guess is yes. For storm chasers I hope I'm right, for those that could be impacted I hope I'm wrong.

2012 and 2010 are in zero ways comparable. May 2010 was chock-full of plains tornado activity. 5/10, 5/18, 5/19, 5/22, 5/23, 5/24, and 5/31 all come to mind.

2012 and 2010 are in zero ways comparable. May 2010 was chock-full of plains tornado activity. 5/10, 5/18, 5/19, 5/22, 5/23, 5/24, and 5/31 all come to mind.

Have to agree here. That was easily one of the great May-centric Plains chase seasons of the past decade. Even aside from the dates you listed, which cover the big boys fairly well, there were nice marginal events almost nonstop after 5/10. I recall good supercells in OK on 5/11, 5/12, 5/16, and 5/30, as well.

The other year that belongs in that discussion, 2004, also got into full swing by 5/12 and hardly let up after. The end of this month will have to be a barrage of impressive setups day-after-day in order to compete with either of those years.

However, his point was more geared toward an active late-season up north, which is still possible. It only takes one 6/17/10-like event (plus maybe a handful of more mesoscale events) to get a banner season up that way, since climo dictates their prime season is shorter and contains fewer events per year.

I'm looking at two things that caught my eye the last two months. First of all the warm temps in the northern gulf, that concerns me as some of those higher DP's could get up here, coupled by what I think is a strong ridge over the SE US. Now take into affect the transevaporation environment that will exist up here when the corn crop starts leafing out, we could see some nice cape values up here, the question is will we see a good set up to initiate strong storms. I think yes, but it could end over up southern Canada depending on where the upper level jet sets up....just my thoughts

IDK, I could be wrong, but there seems to be a decent tor potential later this afternoon as well. Some pretty nice looping hodos, EHI maxes out from 00-03z, SREF sig tor has a 40% bullseye, PV ejects right around the 00z timeframe. Mid level flow is marginal, but it seems there may be a better than 2% tor later on dependent on convective evolution today.

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0758 AM CDT THU MAY 10 2012

VALID 101300Z - 111200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS PARTS OF SRN THROUGH SERN TX...

...SYNOPSIS...

A PROGRESSIVE SPLIT FLOW PATTERN WILL PREVAIL THIS PERIOD...WITH NRN

MEXICO UPR LOW CONTINUING E TO ENE INTO CNTRL TX AS LWR GRT LKS

TROUGH FURTHER AMPLIFIES UPON MOVING E INTO NEW ENGLAND AND THE MID

ATLANTIC. ELSEWHERE...POSITIVE-TILT PACIFIC NW/NRN RCKYS TROUGH

EXPECTED TO REACH THE NRN PLNS BY 12Z FRI.

AT THE SFC...FRONTAL ZONE THAT ENTERED THE LWR RIO GRANDE ON TUE

SHOULD STRENGTHEN AND REDEVELOP NWD INTO S TX LATER TODAY...WHILE

THE ERN PART OF THE SAME BOUNDARY CONTINUES SLOWLY SE ACROSS

CNTRL/SRN FL. THE BOUNDARY...AND ASSOCIATED WAA FIELD...WILL SERVE

AS A FOCUS FOR STRONG TO SVR TSTMS OVER PARTS OF TX TODAY THROUGH

EARLY FRI...AND ALSO MAY SUPPORT SCTD STRONG STORMS IN FL THIS AFTN.

...S CNTRL INTO S AND SE TX TODAY/TNGT...

COMBINATION OF VERY RICH MOISTURE /PW 1.25 TO 1.75 INCHES WITH UPR

60S TO LOW 70S F DEWPOINTS/...INCREASING WAA/UPR ASCENT WITH

APPROACHING UPR LOW...AND SFC HEATING EXPECTED TO SUPPORT SEVERAL

EPISODES OF STRONG TO SVR TSTMS OVER A LARGE PART OF SRN AND SERN TX

THIS PERIOD.

CURRENT BAND OF SCTD STORMS OVER THE LWR RIO GRANDE VLY LIKELY IS

BEING FOSTERED BY LOW LVL WAA/MOISTURE TRANSPORT ATOP AFOREMENTIONED

SFC FRONT. THE STORMS IN THE SRN PORTION OF THE BAND LIKELY WILL

BECOME MORE NEARLY SFC-BASED AS SFC HEATING DESTABILIZES REGION

LATER THIS MORNING. WITH AMPLE SHEAR ALREADY IN PLACE FOR

SUPERCELLS...SETUP MAY POSE A RISK FOR TORNADOES IN ADDITION TO

LARGE HAIL/LOCALLY DMGG WIND.

LATER TODAY ANOTHER ROUND OF SVR STORMS IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP INVOF

THE FRONT AND IN EXIT REGION OF STRENGTHENED S/SSELY LLJ IN THE SRN

HILL COUNTRY AND/OR THE AREA NEAR DEL RIO. WITH DIURNAL

HEATING...STEEP MID LVL LAPSE RATES...AND CONTINUED LOW LVL MOISTURE

INFLOW...STRONG INSTABILITY WILL EXIST ACROSS REGION...WITH SBCAPE

ON THE ORDER OF 2000-2500 J/KG. COUPLED WITH 50+ KT WSWLY DEEP

SHEAR AND INCREASED FORCING FOR ASCENT E OF APPROACHING UPR

LOW...SETUP COULD YIELD A FAIRLY CONCENTRATED AREA OF STRONG TO SVR

SUSTAINED STORMS/SUPERCELLS. THESE COULD PRODUCE VERY LARGE

HAIL...DMGG WIND...AND TORNADOES. OTHER SVR STORMS MAY FORM ON THE

NRN MEXICAN MOUNTAINS AND MOVE E INTO S TX. ALL OF THIS ACTIVITY

COULD EVOLVE INTO A SIZABLE MCS...WITH EMBEDDED FORWARD-PROPAGATING

SEGMENTS EXTENDING A RISK FOR SVR WIND...HAIL...AND POSSIBLY ISOLD

TORNADOES TO THE TX CSTL PLN THIS EVE. PARTS OF S CNTRL TX TO THE

CNTRL TX GULF CST MAY REQUIRE UPGRADE TO MDT RISK AS THE MOST LIKELY

STORM MODE AND AREA OF AFTN STORM DEVELOPMENT BECOME MORE APPARENT.

ADDITIONAL STRONG TO SVR STORMS MAY AFFECT PARTS OF DEEP S TX AND

THE MIDDLE/UPR TX CSTL PLN THROUGH FRI AS LOW LVL MOISTURE CONTINUES

TO FLOW INTO REGION BENEATH FAVORABLE UPR DIFLUENCE.

...SERN FL THIS AFTN...

AFOREMENTIONED COLD FRONT AND SEA BREEZE BOUNDARIES MAY SUPPORT

ISOLD TO WIDELY SCTD TSTMS THIS AFTN...PRIOR TO ONSET OF MORE

STRONGLY SUBSIDENT MID-LVL THIS EVE. RELATIVELY STEEP LOW LVL LAPSE

RATES AND RICH MOISTURE /PW AOA 1.50 INCHES AND SFC DEWPOINTS NEAR

70 F/ MAY FOSTER LOCALLY STRONG/POSSIBLY SVR DOWNDRAFTS AND PERHAPS

HAIL GIVEN 25-30 KT WLY MID LVL FLOW.

...NRN PLNS LATE THIS AFTN/EVE...

LOW-LVL MOISTURE RETURN WILL BE QUITE LIMITED AHEAD OF COLD FRONT

THAT WILL CROSS THE DAKOTAS LATER TODAY/TNGT ATTENDANT TO NRN RCKYS

UPR TROUGH. SFC HEATING WILL NEVERTHELESS DESTABILIZE REGION NEAR

THE FRONT...AND LIKELY WILL CONTRIBUTE TO STORM DEVELOPMENT ALONG

OR...MORE LIKELY...IMMEDIATELY BEHIND THE FRONT LATE TODAY INTO

TNGT. A CONDITIONAL RISK FOR STRONG WIND GUSTS CANNOT BE RULED OUT

IF SFC-BASED STORMS DO INDEED DEVELOP...GIVEN STEEP PRE FRONTAL LOW

LVL LAPSE RATES AND MODERATE MEAN WIND FIELD.

ATTM...HOWEVER...CONFIDENCE IN SUCH A SCENARIO REMAINS TOO LOW TO

WARRANT INCLUSION OF SVR WIND PROBABILITIES.

..CORFIDI/GARNER.. 05/10/2012

post-32-0-14119300-1336655192_thumb.gif

post-32-0-35791800-1336655273_thumb.gif

Extremely tough call this morning. Morning convection has blown southeastern most Texas but I think east of Del Rio has good potential.

Thoughts anyone?

And congrats B-I, a well deserved position!

Thanks!

Where are you at now? I am thinking farther E and S somewhere near the I-37 corridor south of San Antonio.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CORPUS CHRISTI TX

1001 AM CDT THU MAY 10 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN LA SALLE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS

* UNTIL 1030 AM CDT

* AT 1001 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING BASEBALL SIZE HAIL...AND

DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 8

MILES NORTHWEST OF WOODWARD...OR 10 MILES EAST OF BIG WELLS...AND

MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MILLET...

The upper Mississippi valley was not in the V2 domain.

There is an old saying for their 2010 year. If you want to see a tornado, go AWAY from the VORTEX 2 Armada.

Pretty dumb saying. Off the top of my head, V2 sampled tornadoes on:

12 May 2010

18 May 2010

19 May 2010

25 May 2010

13 June 2010

and there are probably others I'm forgetting.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CORPUS CHRISTI TX

1235 PM CDT THU MAY 10 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL LA SALLE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...

* UNTIL 115 PM CDT

* AT 1234 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO OVER CENTRAL LA

SALLE COUNTY...OR 18 MILES SOUTHEAST OF COTULLA...MOVING EAST AT 10

MPH. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM AND HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF A

LARGE AND DAMAGING TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW!

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

RURAL LA SALLE COUNTY...

Archived