Newest Member
    Toothache
A negative departure May looks definate

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike FTW?

How can you say FTW when he was forecasting a 55 degree max in NYC during the first two weeks and that's between 10-20 degrees below what has happened?

post-1598-0-62563400-1336578636_thumb.jp

The Month to date isn't even at -1 for departures to boot.

How can you say FTW when he was forecasting a 55 degree max in NYC during the first two weeks and that's between 10-20 degrees below what has happened?

post-1598-0-62563400-1336578636_thumb.jp

The Month to date isn't even at -1 for departures to boot.

You realize that not only was his post tongue in cheek, but it was made May 2nd, right?

Yeah despite all the talk about how cool and wet it has been, it has actually been a very normal May so far. Yes the overnight lows have compensated for below normal highs so when its 62 and drizzly in the afternoon it would seem as though we're running below normal. I think with the warmup coming this weekend (though nothing torchy) we are well on our way to another above normal month.

current metro departures for the month:

EWR +1

NYC -.4

LGA 0

JFK +.2

BDR +.9

ISP +.3

Yeah despite all the talk about how cool and wet it has been, it has actually been a very normal May so far. Yes the overnight lows have compensated for below normal highs so when its 62 and drizzly in the afternoon it would seem as though we're running below normal. I think with the warmup coming this weekend (though nothing torchy) we are well on our way to another above normal month.

Its been wet. JFK and also LI are 2"+ above normal so far with rain. The rest of the NYC area is .50"-1" above normal so far.

Temps have been as normal as they can be so far.

people are already forgetting about 2010

The 1st 9 days of May 2010 featured major heat and major positive departures. Nothing like this year so far, which has been normal weather.

The 1st 5 days of May in 2010 all cracked 80 degrees and the next 4 days were all over 72 degrees.

May 2009 so far is a good match for the 1st 10 days. May 2009 featured very rainy and normal to below normal temps from May 1st-10th.

from my experience cloudy, showery, cool Mays lead into hot summers and it seems like when May is hot then June is simply awful, better to get it out of the way now so we get a nice hot summer

True, but June 1969 and 2000 were far better than the ensuing Julys. Though July 1969 did feature 3-4 90+ days while July 2000 didn't come close to 90. I don't know if June 2000 had a positive departure, but June 1969 certainly did. Also, in 1970 the beginning-middle of May was rather hot, with one 90 on May 9, and June was not shabby.

The 1st 9 days of May 2010 featured major heat and major positive departures. Nothing like this year so far, which has been normal weather.

The 1st 5 days of May in 2010 all cracked 80 degrees and the next 4 days were all over 72 degrees.

May 2009 so far is a good match for the 1st 10 days. May 2009 featured very rainy and normal to below normal temps from May 1st-10th.

May 2009 did hit 87 the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. The less said about 2009 the better.

2002 had some cold mornings around the 20th...That Summer was hot...

It was hot but the heat started in April, took a pause, and resumed in late June.

I'll gladly take a repeat of the summer of 2002 if it means we get to repeat the winter that followed :thumbsup:

Appropros of what you quoted, would a repeat of 2009-10 be worthwhile if it follows a crappy summer like that of 2009? I don't think so myself.

people think cold may = warm summer and 2010 disproves that

You realize that not only was his post tongue in cheek, but it was made May 2nd, right?

You do realize that not only does the history of his post show pro-cold, but you cannot make the "assumption" that it is made tongue in cheek with that in mind. The date of the post means nothing.

Archived