• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Spring 2012NY + adjacent ON, QC, VT

Chilly rainy (off and on) morning here. 49 degrees.... June is definitely starting off on a different note.

Hopefully this is the last of this kind of dreary miserable weather we see until October. I get no enjoyment out of this kind of weather regardless of time of year...but when we're talking more than 1-2 days of it anytime between May and September I find it just unbearable. Thankfully there was some sun around yesterday which was nice. We also a nice little thunderstorm last night right around 8pm...absolutely poured for 20 minutes or so...had some good rumbles of thunder and gusty winds that came with it.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh ..doesn't bother me so much. I love European type summers ...nice temperate wx with lower humidity interspersed with real wx systems embedded in the westerlies. Not on a daily basis, but I'm fine with a rainy day or two per week. :)

I feel like I'm in a sub tropical desert when the jet retreats north and we gets weeks of HHH wx with just occasional thunderstorms.

Hopefully this is the last of this kind of dreary miserable weather we see until October. I get no enjoyment out of this kind of weather regardless of time of year...but when we're talking more than 1-2 days of it anytime between May and September I find it just unbearable. Thankfully there was some sun around yesterday which was nice. We also a nice little thunderstorm last night right around 8pm...absolutely poured for 20 minutes or so...had some good rumbles of thunder and gusty winds that came with it.

I'd take this wx any month of the year. ;)

Mount Washington

Lat: 44.28 Lon: -71.3 Elev: 6266

Last Update on Jun 4, 7:55 am EDT

Light Snow Low Drifting Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

28 °F

(-2 °C) Humidity: 100 % Wind Speed: E 45 MPH Barometer: NA Dewpoint: 28 °F (-2 °C) Wind Chill: 9 °F (-13 °C) Visibility: 0.00 mi. More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

I will admit, seeing snow in June is a unique experience. A few years back, right around this date, I traveled out west for a bit of field work for my old company. Landed in Amarillo one afternoon...temperature was close to 110. A couple days later I was in SE Wyoming...and saw some snow/sleet driving over the pass on I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie. Later that day met a friend for a quick stop in Rocky Mountain National Park. Roads were closed 1000ft above Estes Park due to the 6-12" of snow that had just ended earlier that morning. At the highest point before the closure, there was maybe 2-3" of fresh snow on the ground and of course I got quite a few pictures. I enjoyed the trip of extremes, and while it was fun seeing fresh snow on the ground in June...I don't think I could live in a place where it was more frequent than a 1 in 200+ year freak occurrence. Let it be summer in summer...and winter in winter. That's my opinion anyway.

I'd take this wx any month of the year. ;)

Mount Washington

Lat: 44.28 Lon: -71.3 Elev: 6266

Last Update on Jun 4, 7:55 am EDT

Light Snow Low Drifting Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

28 °F

(-2 °C) Humidity: 100 % Wind Speed: E 45 MPH Barometer: NA Dewpoint: 28 °F (-2 °C) Wind Chill: 9 °F (-13 °C) Visibility: 0.00 mi. More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

This weather is disgusting. Luckily we will be heating up once again and hopefully for the rest of the summer/fall period! =)

http://www.cpc.ncep....610temp.new.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep....814temp.new.gif

Those are some strong percentages!

I'm not much of a long-term outlook guru...but persistence would seem to suggest the biggest anomalies end up being a bit further west. So maybe from you guys in Buffalo west through the Great Lakes would take the brunt of the heat this summer...while out here to the east and on into SNE we see above normal but lower positive departures that you guys out west. Like I said, that's just my thought based on persistence...maybe the pattern will shift a bit further east than has been the trend during the spring to focus the torch more on SNE. Either way, as long as we rid ourselves of this cloud/drizzle/cool misery, I'll be happy.

Albany ended up hitting 59 yesterday afternoon, missing the record low max by one degree. I actually saw a couple patches of blue in the sky and about a 30 second glimpse of the sun around 4:30...that's probably what bumped us up that extra degree :P

Something to keep an eye on for S. Ontario/C &WNY for Friday night....potential for nocturnal MCS.....we'll see how it unfolds. Always difficult to forecast.

GFS has caught on....NAM did for awhile, then backed off (seemed to delay until Sat. aftnoon.). Will be interesting to see if the bubble of heat behind such a feature overperforms for late Saturday afternoon into Sunday as seems to be the case, often times in these setups.

gfs_namer_024_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

From BUF:

LATE TONIGHT ANOTHER SHORTWAVE APPROACHES WITH INDICATION OF AN MCS

DEVELOPING ACROSS THE UPPER LAKES MOVING SOUTHEAST ALONG A WARM

FRONT ACROSS PARTS OF THE REGION ON LATER TONIGHT/SATURDAY. STILL

SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE EXACT PLACEMENT SO HAVE TENDED TOWARD

MORE OF A BROADBRUSH ON POPS WITH THE HIGHEST NUMBERS GENERALLY

ACROSS THE FINGER LAKES WITH LIKELY POPS THERE. NO MENTION OF SEVERE

POTENTIAL AT THIS TIME IN THE ZONES HOWEVER WILL REISSUE THE HWO

WITH THE MENTION OF AN ISOLATED SEVERE STORM POSSIBLE.

Current radar shows a fairly weak complex over the UP of MI, with some isolated cells popping out ahead, I think someone will get "rocked" a bit late tonight into tomorrow morning.....nocturnal complexes along WF's are always "fun"! :)

From BUF:

LATE TONIGHT ANOTHER SHORTWAVE APPROACHES WITH INDICATION OF AN MCS

DEVELOPING ACROSS THE UPPER LAKES MOVING SOUTHEAST ALONG A WARM

FRONT ACROSS PARTS OF THE REGION ON LATER TONIGHT/SATURDAY. STILL

SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE EXACT PLACEMENT SO HAVE TENDED TOWARD

MORE OF A BROADBRUSH ON POPS WITH THE HIGHEST NUMBERS GENERALLY

ACROSS THE FINGER LAKES WITH LIKELY POPS THERE. NO MENTION OF SEVERE

POTENTIAL AT THIS TIME IN THE ZONES HOWEVER WILL REISSUE THE HWO

WITH THE MENTION OF AN ISOLATED SEVERE STORM POSSIBLE.

Current radar shows a fairly weak complex over the UP of MI, with some isolated cells popping out ahead, I think someone will get "rocked" a bit late tonight into tomorrow morning.....nocturnal complexes along WF's are always "fun"! :)

Or not.... :)

Sounds awful. ;) Saved by the Atlantic influence here today with a bit of a backdoor that washed out. High was 78 under lots of sunshine and dew points very nice. Now 61/51.

Hit 91.9 here today according to my thermometer on the north side of the house completely in the shade while i was at work. Started raining about 8 and since id say we picked up a quick quarter inch. Raining out pretty hard now.

I enjoy Thunderstorms/Tornadoes just as much as the snow. Id sacrifice some snow for 50% more Thunderstorms! I need to chase pretty far to even get a glimpse or a Tornado.

Thunderstorms are exciting but id rather have no storms all summer and get nailed with 50% more than normal of snow (which would be about 165" here because average is 110")

Not about the current weather, but a nice story about a local kid getting to go chase with Reed Timmer

http://www.wktv.com/...-159088925.html

That's so awesome! I would pay so much to go chasing with Reed! Be a day to remember forever driving in one of the Dominators. I have only seen one Tornado live in my life, was a beautiful thing. I hope to go chasing again this year if they hit within a few hour drive from here.

Just saying but the end of next week and much of the following week will probably feature some pretty good convective threats 23-25th and around 29th and 1 July. Later two events could be BIG! We'll see. I hope to fine tune my outlook more by this Saturday.

Awesome news! This weather has been so boring, I want some big storms badly! Keep us updated! =)

Second half of next week looking hot...ALB not shy about going for big heat...

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 95.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 95.

Archived