• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Spring 2012NY + adjacent ON, QC, VT

Ill be right in the village. Right at the village center apartments right at buffalo and quaker streets. About 840 ft in elevation.

Awesome. You'll get quite a bit more snow down here compared to northern Amherst, that's for sure. Really has not been that big of a difference the last 2 years at all though. Aside from the Dec 1st-3rd storm.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome. You'll get quite a bit more snow down here compared to northern Amherst, that's for sure. Really has not been that big of a difference the last 2 years at all though. Aside from the Dec 1st-3rd storm.

I noticed that in the past few years there hasnt been much of a difference but im hoping that will change this upcoming winter. If i could get 120" + that would be the most i ever personally saw in one season. I know a short distance away is the boston hills and they average even more snow. But orchard park is definitly better for big lake effect events. An extra 200 feet in elevation and 15 miles further south definitly will help. Im super excited.

I noticed that in the past few years there hasnt been much of a difference but im hoping that will change this upcoming winter. If i could get 120" + that would be the most i ever personally saw in one season. I know a short distance away is the boston hills and they average even more snow. But orchard park is definitly better for big lake effect events. An extra 200 feet in elevation and 15 miles further south definitly will help. Im super excited.

In 2001 we had like 160+ inches in Cheektowaga.

In 2001 we had like 160+ inches in Cheektowaga.

Theres years where the northtowns get more snow than the southtowns but most years orchard park and hamburg (inland) get more snow than cheektowaga or amherst. Id say orchard park averages about 115 to 120 where as the airport is about 95 inches and amherst is about 85 to 90 inches.

What the heck? When is that coming?

Friday into saturday. Nam has been on it for a few runs. Gfs is on board but a bit further south and not as much precip. 850 temps are around -3 or 4 c during the time the precip falls and surface temps are about 30 or 31. Even channel 4's high resolution microcast shows all snow all day long on friday (even in the mid day hours) into saturday.

KBUF ...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO

VALLEY FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. THERE IS A CHANCE THIS SYSTEM MAY

BRING ACCUMULATING WET SNOWFALL TO PORTIONS OF WESTERN AND

CENTRAL NEW YORK. THERE REMAINS A GREAT DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY WITH

THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM AND WHETHER TEMPERATURES WILL BE

COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL. STAY TUNED TO NOAA

WEATHER RADIO OR LOCAL WEATHER OUTLETS FOR FURTHER UPDATES.

KBUF ...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO

VALLEY FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. THERE IS A CHANCE THIS SYSTEM MAY

BRING ACCUMULATING WET SNOWFALL TO PORTIONS OF WESTERN AND

CENTRAL NEW YORK. THERE REMAINS A GREAT DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY WITH

THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM AND WHETHER TEMPERATURES WILL BE

COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL. STAY TUNED TO NOAA

WEATHER RADIO OR LOCAL WEATHER OUTLETS FOR FURTHER UPDATES.

I don't want it now. I wanted it in December/January. That 80 degree weather was amazing! I got spoiled from that, back to reality I guess.

I don't want it now. I wanted it in December/January. That 80 degree weather was amazing! I got spoiled from that, back to reality I guess.

I agree i dont want it now either but ill take one more "storm" . I think that this will be an elevation driven event as well as it usually is at this time of the year. I can garuntee you no one will see close to a foot out of this but i could see a slushy inch or so in BUF, about 2" in hamburg (inland) and orchard park and maybe 4 inches in boston, colden, ellicottville,perrysburg,springville... Will be intresting watching the 00z nam.

Albany had the warmest March on record...wasn't even close. Previous record was 44.4 from 1859...this year ended at 45.9. I know we weren't alone, although its possible we had the oldest record to fall...but I'd be curious of seeing a full list of cities that had their warmest March on record.

Flint, MI was 3.5 degrees above the next closest record set in 1945.....pretty incredible!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=81312&source=0

I was in some decent snow yesterday hiking in northern-most Fulton County above Canada Lake. Nice small ADKs peaks there even though you are only as far north as like Rome, NY. They dip way south there so it's only an hour drive for me.

At 2:00 PM It was freezing, with snow at 2200 ft. and confirmed by the freezing ice on the steps of the fire tower on Kane Mountain. About a half inch stuck to everything, but they probably got more after that.

2 feet on Mount Mansfield in VT now....where winter lives. :)

I had a light dusting this morning. Also, the winds really came up last night,,,,highest gust was 47mph.

I was in some decent snow yesterday hiking in northern-most Fulton County above Canada Lake. Nice small ADKs peaks there even though you are only as far north as like Rome, NY. They dip way south there so it's only an hour drive for me.

At 2:00 PM It was freezing, with snow at 2200 ft. and confirmed by the freezing ice on the steps of the fire tower on Kane Mountain. About a half inch stuck to everything, but they probably got more after that.

2 feet on Mount Mansfield in VT now....where winter lives. :)

Looks awesome up there. Snow in the air here this morning, but only patchs sticking.

It looks like there will be a threat of some severe weather for parts of western, central and northern NY as well as southern Quebec on Monday afternoon/evening. A surface low in Northern Michigan will move to the northeast allowing for warm, moist air to enter the region ahead of the cold front. A low level jet at 850 mb around 50 kts will bring dew points into the low 60s. This will allow for marginal instability of 500-1000 J/kg CAPE. Strong low level unidirectional shear, along with the instability may allow for a squall line to develop along the cold front. The GFS brings the line into CNY by 8 PM, slightly faster than the NAM. The line may not be very long lasting however, since some of the low level shear is parallel to the squall line (wsw shear, ssw oriented line).

The 12Z run was a lot less wet for Upstate NY with the training heavy rains blessing New England...where they have been lamenting their "drought" for the past several weeks on this BB. I'm happy for them. :) I prefer the snow showers on the backside that the GFS shows.

Ummm....and/or snow??? (for the beginning of next week....above 1200' ??)

gfs_namer_132_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

The 12Z run was a lot less wet for Upstate NY with the training heavy rains blessing New England...where they have been lamenting their "drought" for the past several weeks on this BB. I'm happy for them. :) I prefer the snow showers on the backside that the GFS shows.

Euro show those "snow showers" as quite potent ;) :

f96.gif

Edit to insert new, updated, image.

Archived