Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Spring 2012NY + adjacent ON, QC, VT

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised there isn't more chat about today's threat of severe weather! There's relatviely steep lapse rates in the hail growth region, high downdraft-CAPE (up to 1500 J/kg), and respectable (40-50 kts right ahead of the front) speed shear.

Also, when's the last time SPC mentioned golf ball sized hail for upstate NY?

post-378-0-70025900-1337187717_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0824

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1127 AM CDT WED MAY 16 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...MUCH OF CNTRL AND ERN NY...VT...NERN PA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 161627Z - 161830Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...STORMS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA OVER THE NEXT FEW

HOURS...POSSIBLY IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS AT ONCE. LARGE HAIL AND A FEW

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS ARE LIKELY.

DISCUSSION...VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS CU FIELDS EXPANDING OVER MUCH OF

THE AREA. THE FIRST IS ALONG THE COLD FRONT FROM NWRN PA INTO WRN

NY...BUT INSTABILITY IS CURRENTLY LOW WITH DEWPOINTS MIXING INTO THE

40S F. FARTHER E...ANOTHER BAND OF CLOUDS WAS PERSISTING FROM SRN

QUEBEC INTO NRN AND CNTRL NY...ON THE EDGE OF THE ADVANCING UPPER

VORT. THE THIRD AREA WAS OVER SERN NY AND VT...NEAR THE SURFACE

THETA-E AXIS WHERE MUCAPE WAS APPROACHING 1500-2000 J/KG.

WITH CONTINUED HEATING AND LITTLE CIN...STORMS WILL LIKELY FORM BY

18-19Z. THE STRONGEST FORCING WILL BE NEAR THE FRONT...BUT OTHER

STORMS MAY FORM FARTHER E IN THE INSTABILITY AXIS. WITH FAVORABLE

DEEP LAYER FLOW AND INCREASING SPEED SHEAR WITH HEIGHT...SUPERCELLS

WILL BE LIKELY CAPABLE OF LARGE HAIL...PERHAPS UP TO GOLF BALL SIZE.

A WIND THREAT WILL ALSO BE PRESENT...PERHAPS MORE WITH THE FRONTAL

ACTIVITY WHERE STORM MODE COULD BENEFIT FORM MERGED OUTFLOWS. THE

TORNADO THREAT SHOULD BE RELATIVELY LOW WITH WEAK FLOW IN THE LOWEST

2KM...BUT...WINDS WILL VEER WITH HEIGHT AND COULD RESULT IN A

WEAK...BRIEF SPIN-UP.

..JEWELL/HART.. 05/16/2012

1 week till im in OP.

You act like OP is in a different state or something. It's 10 minutes from Downtown Buffalo lol...The climate is nearly identical.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

0447 PM EDT SUN MAY 20 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BUFFALO NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 89 DEGREES WAS SET AT BUFFALO NY TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 88 SET IN 1911.

Mighty HOT out today. Good beach afternoon! =)

You act like OP is in a different state or something. It's 10 minutes from Downtown Buffalo lol...The climate is nearly identical.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

0447 PM EDT SUN MAY 20 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BUFFALO NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 89 DEGREES WAS SET AT BUFFALO NY TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 88 SET IN 1911.

Mighty HOT out today. Good beach afternoon! =)

Dude OP in lake effect season is a whole other world compared to downtown Buffalo. And im in cleve hill and before that i was in amherst. OP gets a good deal more snow than amherst , not to mention OP is much closer to the real ski country and boston hills

Dude OP in lake effect season is a whole other world compared to downtown Buffalo. And im in cleve hill and before that i was in amherst. OP gets a good deal more snow than amherst , not to mention OP is much closer to the real ski country and boston hills

We will see. Has not been that different down here compared to Amherst for me. Minus that Dec 1st-3rd event of course. But whatever floats your boat. Its a 10 minute drive from Town of OP to Downtown Buffalo. Not far enough to make a difference. Not to mention its summer, so why would posts like this matter? :axe:

We will see. Has not been that different down here compared to Amherst for me. Minus that Dec 1st-3rd event of course. But whatever floats your boat. Its a 10 minute drive from Town of OP to Downtown Buffalo. Not far enough to make a difference. Not to mention its summer, so why would posts like this matter? :axe:

Its actually 20 minutes away. Taking the 219 to the 90 then to the 190 is the quickest way, and its rougly 16 miles. Not a huge deal but it will be fun to be in the southtowns for once because at least it seems to me that the northtowns always get screwed while the southtowns always cash in on lake effect events compared to the northtowns. But sorry it bothers you so much that i posted about OP.

What are you thinking for the end of this week. Models are saying 850s up to 20c and Heights reaching well into the 580s.could we take a shot at 90 with such dry soil moisture?

yeah..i'd favor the ec which keeps more warmth over BUF. It has mid-80s all weekend with no fropa. I'd think we'd have a shot at 90 on Monday.

yeah..i'd favor the ec which keeps more warmth over BUF. It has mid-80s all weekend with no fropa. I'd think we'd have a shot at 90 on Monday.

With these hot temps and the lake on the rapid incline in terms of temps i bet she has a chance at breaking the all time warmest temp for may which is 66 degrees. Were now sitting at 59 degrees so the temp of the lake would have to rise 7 degrees to tie it and 8 to break the all time may record but i think we have a decent shot with 10 days left in the month. And considering we started this month At 46 degrees and now in 21 days weve risen 13 degrees since i think this is breakable especally with the consistent warm temps in the forecast. Love when that lake gets warm, contributes to thunderstorms in the late summer and fall as opposed to stabalizing the air. Hopefully well break the all time record warm lake temp set just last year at 80 degrees.

It's turning into a swamp here. After that dry early spring, it just won't stop raining.

Reminding me of the rainy spring/summer/fall of last year. Oh we had 2-3 weeks of hot drier wx last summer before the rainy pattern returned again.

Keep it roasting. Would love to see it break another record this season. Would love for it to stay warm for lake effect season and i dont think we could even see another winter close to what we saw this past winter.

Yeah, one nice early season PV setup, and you guys will be good to go.

LOL. Your totals last winter even made me sad, and I don't even live up there.

Seeing those bands drop hours of 35 dbz rates is a beautiful thing.

Yeah, one nice early season PV setup, and you guys will be good to go.

LOL. Your totals last winter even made me sad, and I don't even live up there.

Seeing those bands drop hours of 35 dbz rates is a beautiful thing.

36" for the whole season. Usually we see that in December alone. Last season i was in a lake effect storm that dropped 40" in 2 days.

I'm becoming more confident of an MCS...possible derecho over central and northern Michigan on Sunday night. Whether that translates well into our area remains to be seen...there will certainly be thunderstorms on Sunday with the warm front, at the very least.

A possible similar setup to the June 30 (I think) 2006 MCS/derecho event that brought an F-2 tornado to cheektowaga,NY near the Galleria Mall.

Archived