• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All time Warmest March on Record - DCA

Deck Pic

Forcasting persistance looks good for April. Here's the April composite for the top 5 warmest Marches:

Just for giggles, here's the following JJA. Cool summer coming?

Here is my latest prediction

April: +8

May: +6

June: +5

July: +3

August: +5

September: +5

October: +7

November: +6

December: -5

January: +9

February: +3

DCA snow: 7"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kidding of course.

Sort of.

I knew you were but not really. lol

Jokes aside, we've had alot of summer heat the last 5 years or so. I think one summer was not hot? Can't remember which year but I do remember a relatively recent summer where we didn't hit 90 degrees much at all (2009?) and I was able to leave to AC off more often than not. Last 2 combined have been face melters though.

what's happening at ORD is incredible...today's 78 will break up an 8-day streak of 80+...sick

it's beyond incredible...10 days at 80F or above in a ~150 year record....5 (so far) this year....we probably don't have a long enough historical record to compute how often an event was likely to occur but it's rare.

We are also locked in to the warmest astronomical winter (approximately December 21st to March 20th each season) and the warmest composite meteorological/astronomical winter (December 1st to March 20th each season). Each of these two measures of winter currently (through March 13th) show average temperatures of 44.4 degrees in DC, versus the previous astronomical winter record of 43.7 in 1989-90 and the previous composite winter record of 44.0 in 2001-02.

The final numbers for the 2011/12 astronomical and composite winters are 45.9 and 45.6 degrees, respectively. Thus, the record for the warmest astronomical winter was broken by 2.2 degrees and the record for the warmest composite winter was broken by 1.6 degrees. When the astronomical winter warm record was last broken (in 1989-90), it was only by 0.2 degrees, and when the composite winter warm record was last broken (in 2001-02), it was only by 0.9 degrees.

(March projected) 57.5/57.6

The 1981-2010 April normal temperature in DC is 56.9. So, if the March projected temperature holds and we have a normal April, March 2012 would be warmer than April 2012. There is historical precedent for such an anomaly -- March 1907 was warmer than April 1907, the respective numbers being 48.8 and 48.4

I thought we were farther ahead than this...

Climate... so far this is the warmest Mar at dca (56.4 vs. 56.1 in 1921)...#2 at BWI (55.O in 1921 vs. 53.4)..and far and away #1 at iad (53.5 vs. 50.6 in 1990). Likewise so far this month has had the highest average min temperatures at dca and iad...#4 at BWI.

Archived