joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12 Severe Weather Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Td's were actually lower than that in some of the areas that were hit. ORD only had a dewpoint around 50 when the tornado passed near there. In terms of overall tornado production, that was an impressive event given the marginal moisture.

Exactly true, that is one thing we always watched while storm chasing, where the gradients/fronts lie. Typically in MI a warm front will end up somewhere between M-21 and M-46 which is an area that historically has been hit several times with tornadoes some of which being violent on both sides of the state.

I'm not calling for a big outbreak, and although the 0-1 km shear is a little weaker than I'd like to see (at least initially) you can see how there could be some potential for a strong tornado or two either side of I-80 if something like the more aggressive NAM pans out.

The thing that concerns me is that the source region for the low-level airmass right now is the rain-modified airmass behind the current convection. That might serve to bolster moisture return prospects, having that extra little jolt of ambient moisture feeding back into the airmass.

The thing that concerns me is that the source region for the low-level airmass right now is the rain-modified airmass behind the current convection. That might serve to bolster moisture return prospects, having that extra little jolt of ambient moisture feeding back into the airmass.

Agree plus could help lay some differential heating boundaries depending upon who gets how much precip and where the clouds might or might not linger.

Yeah but you never bullseye chase. Often, the bullseye for severe parameters is in a location with poor forcing for convection, and you can have all the EHI in the world but it won't mean a thing if you don't have a storm there. A trick to forecasting enhanced severe threats is to look for the GRADIENT of the parameters (EHI in this case). The gradient is where you'll often get your best combination of parameters and forcing. And tomorrow looks to be no different, with a tight vort lobe rounding the H5 low. And unfortunately, that gradient basically sets up along I-80 in the southern suburbs of Chicago and into northern Indiana (NAM verbatim). Again, I am skeptical about the moisture return the NAM is depicting, but if it verifies, then I'll be a bit nervous tomorrow afternoon.

Great post, could not have said it better myself.

One thing to note is that NAM seems to develop a mesolow invof Chicago later today. This aids in the local backing of winds in IN and IL. Not only would this backing be important in enhancing SRH, but moisture depth doesn't look all that great. The direction of 925mb and sfc winds will be important in keeping the moisture there.

One thing to note is that NAM seems to develop a mesolow invof Chicago later today. This aids in the local backing of winds in IN and IL. Not only would this backing be important in enhancing SRH, but moisture depth doesn't look all that great. The direction of 925mb and sfc winds will be important in keeping the moisture there.

Yeah I have noticed this mesolow showing up on several runs now going back for the last day to day and half.

Yeah but you never bullseye chase. Often, the bullseye for severe parameters is in a location with poor forcing for convection, and you can have all the EHI in the world but it won't mean a thing if you don't have a storm there. A trick to forecasting enhanced severe threats is to look for the GRADIENT of the parameters (EHI in this case). The gradient is where you'll often get your best combination of parameters and forcing. And tomorrow looks to be no different, with a tight vort lobe rounding the H5 low. And unfortunately, that gradient basically sets up along I-80 in the southern suburbs of Chicago and into northern Indiana (NAM verbatim). Again, I am skeptical about the moisture return the NAM is depicting, but if it verifies, then I'll be a bit nervous tomorrow afternoon.

Completely agree. If you look at the Pekin-Henryville-Marysville tornado from March 2, it traveled along the gradients, including EHI, CAPE, Theta-E.

I wouldn't say that. If temperatures weren't going to be this warm, I would write it off. But with temperatures approaching 70F, MLCAPE >1,000, veering winds, low level shear, EHI >1, cold 700mb temps, I wouldn't rule out the potential. Everything spells out an isolated tornado event, and widespread hail, and damaging winds threat across SEMI. Solid 30W/30H/5T slight risk for the southern 4.

I have to give you some props here, besides the hail part you nailed the probs right on.

I have to give you some props here, besides the hail part you nailed the probs right on.

i think the spc went a little overboard on the risk, we are going to need sun for anything to get going and looking at the vis. there sure isn't much clearing behind the rain right now, granted it is only 930am. I would have waited til 1630 to up the probs. after seeing how much clearing would take place.

i think the spc went a little overboard on the risk, we are going to need sun for anything to get going and looking at the vis. there sure isn't much clearing behind the rain right now, granted it is only 930am. I would have waited til 1630 to up the probs. after seeing how much clearing would take place.

I would be watching the dryslot that is currently over IL which does have pockets of sunshine in it currently, furthermore we won't need too much to get things going in a big way, an environment similar to a 63-67/53-57 would get the job done.

If you look at IL/IN you have mid 50 dewpoints in place moving northward and temps already in the upper 50s to 60 and those are 9am/8am EDT/CDT obs

I would be watching the dryslot that is currently over IL which does have pockets of sunshine in it currently, furthermore we won't need too much to get things going in a big way, an environment similar to a 63-67/53-57 would get the job done.

If you look at IL/IN you have mid 50 dewpoints in place moving northward and temps already in the upper 50s to 60 and those are 9am/8am EDT/CDT obs

thats true, i see gary is already 59/55 or so, i guess it would only take about 2 hours of sun to jump the temps in the mid 60s.

thats true, i see gary is already 59/55 or so, i guess it would only take about 2 hours of sun to jump the temps in the mid 60s.

Yep probably why SPC is going hard at this, I could actually see parts of the area possibly getting a good amount of sun 3-6hrs, if that happens look out.

You don't want too much sun today. That'll mix out the moisture. We want sufficient but limited heating to keep moisture in place if we want severe wx today. Though personally, I don't really want it. I just have a bad feeling that if something happens it's going to be too close to home.

Well dynamics seem strong enough to make today go off despite limited instability but I just think it could play a bigger factor than many think. As Stebo said 3-6 hours is what we'll need for a solid severe day and it definitely seems doable. Also I noticed there's no CINH which is some good news

You don't want too much sun today. That'll mix out the moisture. We want sufficient but limited heating to keep moisture in place if we want severe wx today. Though personally, I don't really want it. I just have a bad feeling that if something happens it's going to be too close to home.

Yeah you make a good point there, especially with the amount of winds just above the surface we would easily mix out if we got abundant sunshine.

Archived