• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

Roundup is what i am planning on using for the fescue problem.

Roundup is non-selective, centipede would be toast. Not sure what his lawn is dominant type, here it is centipede. Went through a couple round-up concetrates several years back, then wised-up, litteraly. 2.5 gallons worth from Agri supply, 41% glyphosate and only 35 bucks. Non-selective, nukes almost every green thing within 5 meters. Answer is likely here... But for spot treatment, roundup/glyphosate is the way to go, just make sure temp is not cold with a calm wind.

http://www.turffiles...les/tf0070.aspx

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me when I say that you really don't want the locals to help. You'll end up with coyote just like we did. They introduced them in the 70s and now they're everywhere killing pets and livestock.

Also, that electric fencing is great...until they learn to jump it! I am totally serious. Those never work for long, down here. Try planting something that they like more than your shrubs and that you don't mind having around. Hunting supply stores sell a blend of clover and other things that the deer love and it looks nice and green. It regenerates all year and if you're lucky you'll have vegetables and meat next year. My folks do this and it works fine. Since they have the garden I just pitch in and help in return for food. #oldschool

Deer also hate marigold and chrysanthemum (keep down mosquitoes as well). Try planting a few around your shrubs.

Right now, they're hopping my RioGrand fence like a low speed bump. Thinking about putting the electric fence about three feet inside of the fence - that way it reduces their landing area. I would guess there is a herd of at least 100 in my suburban neighborhood alone. I have a six foot, welded wire fence surrounding my garden inside of the RioGrand. Then, I have chicken wire around the bottom to keep out baby groundhougs. My groundhog problem gets a little "CaddyShack-like" at times...a varmint never quits - ever. It's like Fort Knox. For some I know this sounds crazy, but when you live in a suburban area your "options" are limited. If I lived in the "country"(though I'm not far from it at anytime)...But for now, I'm not making it easy for those fellas to get my lettuce.

Right now, they're hopping my RioGrand fence like a low speed bump. Thinking about putting the electric fence about three feet inside of the fence - that way it reduces their landing area. I would guess there is a herd of at least 100 in my suburban neighborhood alone. I have a six foot, welded wire fence surrounding my garden inside of the RioGrand. Then, I have chicken wire around the bottom to keep out baby groundhougs. My groundhog problem gets a little "CaddyShack-like" at times...a varmint never quits - ever. It's like Fort Knox. For some I know this sounds crazy, but when you live in a suburban area your "options" are limited. If I lived in the "country"(though I'm not far from it at anytime)...But for now, I'm not making it easy for those fellas to get my lettuce.

My first thought when I read this was "They're gonna tear down his fence". The only thing scarier than a scared deer is a trapped one. Ehhh...I've dealt with them out here in the country my whole life. The suburban problem is getting bad. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I want to see a video of you caddy-shackin' those groundhogs. Bahahahaha

Roundup is non-selective, centipede would be toast. Not sure what his lawn is dominant type, here it is centipede. Went through a couple round-up concetrates several years back, then wised-up, litteraly. 2.5 gallons worth from Agri supply, 41% glyphosate and only 35 bucks. Non-selective, nukes almost every green thing within 5 meters. Answer is likely here... But for spot treatment, roundup/glyphosate is the way to go, just make sure temp is not cold with a calm wind.

Thanks...I'll check it out.

My first thought when I read this was "They're gonna tear down his fence". The only thing scarier than a scared deer is a trapped one. Ehhh...I've dealt with them out here in the country my whole life. The suburban problem is getting bad. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I want to see a video of you caddy-shackin' those groundhogs. Bahahahaha

Thought about the tearing down thing as well...agreed.

Which product is best for killing lawn weeds? I've been debating between the granule form and the liquid type that you connect to your house for application.

Any recommendations? My lawn is a mixture of fescue and centipede.

Broadleaf weeds use Speedzone. For your area use the southern Speedzone or if you want a cheaper chemical use trimec but Speedzone will kill wild violets where as trimec won't.

Round up is glyphosate. Just depends on manufacturer. It will work at 20degrees just takes longer to kill. I understand what labels say but I have been doing this 21 years. I can help anybody with any chemical that is needed in the landscape field. I know chemicals like you know weather. I love weather but not my strong point and definitely not my background.

What can I use on dormant Bermuda to kill dandelions? In granules or spray? Tia.

Round up is glyphosate. Just depends on manufacturer. It will work at 20degrees just takes longer to kill. I understand what labels say but I have been doing this 21 years. I can help anybody with any chemical that is needed in the landscape field. I know chemicals like you know weather. I love weather but not my strong point and definitely not my background.

What can I use on dormant Bermuda to kill dandelions? In granules or spray? Tia.

trimec is cheapest. They key is 2 4 D ingredient. Being dormant will not stop you from spraying weeds. Any broadleaf chemical will not hurt grass unless it is above 90 degrees. However you also need to apply a pre emrgent fertilizer to your lawn some time in March at the latest. I would go ahead now but that is up to you. We have already done this for our customers.

Cleaned up the yard yesterday. Built two 4x8' raised beds. Now have to fill them w/ 1/4 sand, 1/4 compost, 1/2 topsoil. Will add 64 sq ft to my garden. Will be fertilizing the yard soon. Powerstroke, what do you recommend at this time of year? I don't do weed n' feed because it will kill the garden which is downhill from the yard.

Cleaned up the yard yesterday. Built two 4x8' raised beds. Now have to fill them w/ 1/4 sand, 1/4 compost, 1/2 topsoil. Will add 64 sq ft to my garden. Will be fertilizing the yard soon. Powerstroke, what do you recommend at this time of year? I don't do weed n' feed because it will kill the garden which is downhill from the yard.

unless you apply right on gardent it wont hurt it. I have never heard or seen a problem like that. If you going to put out a pre emergent you need to get it our asap, we have all of ours out, if not get a 18-24-12 with 50% slow release. Treats about 12,500 sq ft per bag

Seeded the tomatoes, eggplant and peppers last night. Got a late start with them this year, waited on the seed, and then heating mat/light. Basil I seeded a couple weeks ago is up and under the light upstairs. Going to keep the single 4' T5, but pulled the trigger on a 4 bulb t5 fixture from eBay, and going to mount that in the 4' jump start stand the single bulb is in currently, should fit based on measurements.

Using metro mix 360 as my starting media, and sowed into single 3x3" fiber squares, mat set 77F.

Tomatoes (all heirlooms from seedsavers)

3 Dester

3 Aunt Rubys German Green

4 Trophy

3 Moon Glow

2 Mortgage Lifter

3 Amish Paste

4 Gold Medal

4 Lemon Drop

4 Velvet Red

3 Wapsipinicon Peach

Eggplant

8 FL High Bush

Peppers

8 Ruby King

8 Orange Bell

Seeded the tomatoes, eggplant and peppers last night. Got a late start with them this year, waited on the seed, and then heating mat/light. Basil I seeded a couple weeks ago is up and under the light upstairs. Going to keep the single 4' T5, but pulled the trigger on a 4 bulb t5 fixture from eBay, and going to mount that in the 4' jump start stand the single bulb is in currently, should fit based on measurements.

Using metro mix 360 as my starting media, and sowed into single 3x3" fiber squares, mat set 77F.

Tomatoes (all heirlooms from seedsavers)

3 Dester

3 Aunt Rubys German Green

4 Trophy

3 Moon Glow

2 Mortgage Lifter

3 Amish Paste

4 Gold Medal

4 Lemon Drop

4 Velvet Red

3 Wapsipinicon Peach

Eggplant

8 FL High Bush

Peppers

8 Ruby King

8 Orange Bell

Am a member of Seedsavers. Great group of folks. Very, very good at what they do. One of these days I am going to their farm in Iowa.

I've got to spray the backyard for some weeds, the front yard has such thick Bermuda that weeds never stand a chance. I need to get out and scalp again though, the first time took it down about halfway but it's time to cut it down some more! I've got to finish a little wall around a bed near the patio and work on the fire pit. Never ending stuff...

I've got to spray the backyard for some weeds, the front yard has such thick Bermuda that weeds never stand a chance. I need to get out and scalp again though, the first time took it down about halfway but it's time to cut it down some more! I've got to finish a little wall around a bed near the patio and work on the fire pit. Never ending stuff...

Last spring I scalped half of my yard at the lowest height on my reel mower (before I got my yearly blade sharpening) and burned off the thatch on the other side. The side I burned came out greener quicker. Kinda dangerous though. Of course by june there wasnt any difference.

Do you not have any zoysia sod in your area? Plugs work but takes longer to fill in.

I got a great deal on the plugs and won't be moving any time soon.

.. I did about 1500 plugs. 3 to 4 inch in dia. about 7 inches a part. Thinking not this summer but next summer it should be mostly filled in. IF I get the roots to take in the next three/four weeks.

Overtime it will spread all over! The people who owe the land will built our house on planted theirs 25+ years ago...

It spread about 200-300' down into the pasture!

I got a great deal on the plugs and won't be moving any time soon.

.. I did about 1500 plugs. 3 to 4 inch in dia. about 7 inches a part. Thinking not this summer but next summer it should be mostly filled in. IF I get the roots to take in the next three/four weeks.

Swatting gnats. Live oak trees are shedding and blooming and putting out "worms". My truck is lime green but it's supposed to be metallic black. Can't breathe but for sneezing.

That's why I love winter so much!

Except - bass are going on the beds slowly - time for a 10 pounder!

Anybody on here do any,or ever heard of carpfishing? In the wild or at pay fishing lakes?

Heck yeah, I was into carp fishing every Friday night during the non-winter months for several years....... I mostly fished the pay-lakes for money, but I did do some river-carp fishing in the Catawba River basin. What do you want to know?

Pepper seeds were sown 2 weeks ago - some are already showing first true leaves, some are just breaking soil, some still waiting. Start tomatoes & eggplants tomorrow. Weather permitting, will be planting in the ground April 15th. Last year, planting out got messed up by the 2 rounds of tornadic/severe weather we had in the area, and the plants got a little leggy waiting for a non-stormy day.

Just wondering if there was anybody into it.I have been carpfishing mostly at paylakes for over 20 yeaes.we are a rare breed,and you get a lot of strange looks when u tell people you fish for carp on purpose!but I enjoy the competitionand the fight!

Heck yeah, I was into carp fishing every Friday night during the non-winter months for several years....... I mostly fished the pay-lakes for money, but I did do some river-carp fishing in the Catawba River basin. What do you want to know?

Just wondering if there was anybody into it.I have been carpfishing mostly at paylakes for over 20 yeaes.we are a rare breed,and you get a lot of strange looks when u tell people you fish for carp on purpose!but I enjoy the competitionand the fight!

We dont target them but over the years we have caught some monster carp, we do however fish for gar on purpose. Sunday I am headed to the Roanoke River the striper are in the river now which is early....

Just an interesting carp tidbit,the world record smallmouth buffalo,a type of carp,was caught in Lake Wylie,and weighed 88 lbs.!

Yep, I met the guy who caught that fish. His brother owned one of the carp lakes I used to fish at. It was caught near the point where hwy 49 crosses lake wylie. Those buffalo carp can get really big.

What type of reeIs/rigs do you use? Back when I was carp fishing seriously, I had a nice set of "carpmaster" reels with graphite rods, I used two #4 eagle-claw hooks in a Caroilna rig

Flavored grits or corn was my usual bait of choice but I have used many different baits along with chow and millet, where it was allowed. True carp fishers are very reluctant to reveal what they have in their bait. I have seen guys even mix in some Jack Daniels.

Archived