Southeast Long-Range Spring 2012 Thread

SoCoWx

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is where they derive their forecasts from:

http://www.slate.com...rground_.2.html

Not complaining about the forecast for my area:

Lol it gets even better. Now it says in for next Wednesday 91 with a heat index of 118. Thursday 91 with a heat index of 122. Friday 91 with a heat index of 126! The dew point must be in the upper 80s or lower 90s to get those kind of heat indices.

Lol it gets even better. Now it says in for next Wednesday 91 with a heat index of 118. Thursday 91 with a heat index of 122. Friday 91 with a heat index of 126! The dew point must be in the upper 80s or lower 90s to get those kind of heat indices.

Ok, you should have specified the date. How do you expect super computers to calculate temperatures with a low standard deviation when it's more than a week away?

Models such as the GEFS have a hard enough time already with the placement of pressures at that time frame.

gefs-spag_namer_216_500_534_576_ht.gif

Ok, you should have specified the date. How do you expect super computers to calculate temperatures with a low standard deviation when it's more than a week away?

Models such as the GEFS have a hard enough time already with the placement of pressures at that time frame.

gefs-spag_namer_216_500_534_576_ht.gif

I did on my first post. I said next wednesday in 10 days. I was just mentioning it because I haven't ever seen a heat index that high before in my forecast. :D

upper 80's and lower 90's DPs don't really happen in the US. It could be a real feel type temp you are looking at as opposed to H.I.

What's the difference between a real feel temp and heat index ?

The Real Feel Temperature is something we developed in-house here at AccuWeather. It takes into consideration other factors besides just temperature and dew point. It factors in the time of day, the sun angle, and amount of cloud cover, the winds or lack thereof, etc. For example, a temperature of 90 and a dew point of 70 will feel worse at noon or 1 pm with the sun high in the sky than it will at 5 pm or 9 am. Also, a temperature of 90 and a dew point of 70 will feel worse when it is dead calm than if there is a 15 mph wind blowing. The same thing goes for 90/70 with bright sunshine vs. 50% cloud cover. For all of these examples, the heat index will be identical...no difference whatsoever, since it is based solely on temperature and dew point. The Real Feel Temperature, however, will be different for each case.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Accuweather-2546/Dew-point-Heat-index.htm

Gotta love FFC and how they contradict themselves.... This is from yesterday morning:

DRIER AND COOLER AIRMASS FILLS IN BEHIND THE EXITING

UPPER LOW MONDAY.

And this is from this morning:

BY MONDAY...AND FOR THE BALANCE

OF THE EXTENDED FORECAST PERIOD...THE CENTRAL U.S. UPPER RIDGE SHIFTS

EAST OVER THE REGION WITH DRY AND WARM WEATHER RETURNING

So, I guess next week we will either have a drier and cooler airmass, or we will have a drier and warmer airmass. I love how they say warm weather "returning". When did it ever leave ?

With the GFS hinting at a return to normal temps in the long term(maybe even below normal), I am beginning to think that the ENSO signal moving to neutral in late April is going to be the first shift from Nina-like conditions in maybe twelve months. And while the NAO is less and less a significant player as spring rolls on, it is showing a trend towards neutral as well. I think our warm spring is about to end in 12-14 days.

ENSO Update Link (see slide #30)

post-769-0-37588100-1332599265.gif

With the GFS hinting at a return to normal temps in the long term(maybe even below normal), I am beginning to think that the ENSO signal moving to neutral in late April is going to be the first shift from Nina-like conditions in maybe twelve months. And while the NAO is less and less a significant player as spring rolls on, it is showing a trend towards neutral as well. I think our warm spring is about to end in 12-14 days.

ENSO Update Link (see slide #30)

I'm sure many would echo this sentiment, but I'll believe it when I see it.

How many times have the teleconnections looked good for cooler weather over the past 4 months and never verified? Way too many to count.

I'm sure many would echo this sentiment, but I'll believe it when I see it.

How many times have the teleconnections looked good for cooler weather over the past 4 months and never verified? Way too many to count.

Here is the difference...The ENSO state is changing. That is a major, major shift. The pattern is changing as we speak. It is the end of La Nina. The real question to ponder is just how long will the atmosphere remember the Nina pattern during the coming weeks (...the overall ENSO pattern that we have had for the past two winters is ending.) Many have their summer front loaded warm due to this. I, for one, do not want another summer that is extreme on the heat end of things. As for the potential cold weather coming up, I don't think the physics of the atmopshere cares whether you are ready for spring or not. Sorry. Next time, try adding to the conversation.

As a sidenote, the impacts on summer weather and next winter w/ the new ENSO state can't be overstated.

Here is the difference...The ENSO state is changing. That is a major, major shift. The pattern is changing as we speak. It is the end of La Nina. The real question to ponder is just how long will the atmosphere remember the Nina pattern during the coming weeks (...the overall ENSO pattern that we have had for the past two winters is ending.) Many have their summer front loaded warm due to this. I, for one, do not want another summer that is extreme on the heat end of things. As for the potential cold weather coming up, I don't think the physics of the atmopshere cares whether you are ready for spring or not. Sorry. Next time, try adding to the conversation.

As a sidenote, the impacts on summer weather and next winter w/ the new ENSO state can't be overstated.

I was adding to the conversation, thank you and being rather realistic. Yeah, the ENSO state is shifting and we're heading for an El Nino, I understand that. I also understand what past Springs where we were in transition were like and see no reason for this one to be majorly different.

Not saying cold outbreaks are impossible, just not incredibly likely. That is simply a fact.

If you don't like what I have to say, you have the freedom to hide my posts on these forums so you don't have to read them.

Ultimatly the weather is going to do whatever it is going to do. If the NAO does go negative and the MJO pushes into phase 8 and beyond this could be a huge frost/freeze event setting up. Not wishing but me i hated this past month. Too hot to soon. I would much have had normal weather than scorching weather and really looking at the Euro weeklies April looks pretty normal for the SE which will be a nice change. Also in 2007 were i lived we had 8 inches of snow and a low of 18 degrees during that April cold snap. All leaves died and it took the trees another month to sprout leaves back. It can happen again no doubt.

Ultimatly the weather is going to do whatever it is going to do. If the NAO does go negative and the MJO pushes into phase 8 and beyond this could be a huge frost/freeze event setting up. Not wishing but me i hated this past month. Too hot to soon. I would much have had normal weather than scorching weather and really looking at the Euro weeklies April looks pretty normal for the SE which will be a nice change. Also in 2007 were i lived we had 8 inches of snow and a low of 18 degrees during that April cold snap. All leaves died and it took the trees another month to sprout leaves back. It can happen again no doubt.

The NAO, Euro(to some extent), and the GFS are showing troughing over the East in the mid-long range. My concern, as you mention, is that a strorm amplifies along the coast and drives cold air down in its wake. The threat is most certainly there. With the pattern making a significant change, I think mischief cannot be ruled out. It probaby won't be anything but cold rain in the valleys as climo won't support snow in the valleys - not even close. However, Pisgah/GSMNP have seen some monster snows in early April. That is the worst case scenario as one clear night w/ cold temps in the mid 20s for extended time could devestate fruit growers. Foothills mentioned the possibility of some blocking in his discussion on his site.

I was adding to the conversation, thank you and being rather realistic. Yeah, the ENSO state is shifting and we're heading for an El Nino, I understand that. I also understand what past Springs where we were in transition were like and see no reason for this one to be majorly different.

Not saying cold outbreaks are impossible, just not incredibly likely. That is simply a fact.

If you don't like what I have to say, you have the freedom to hide my posts on these forums so you don't have to read them.

I wouldn't consider hiding your posts. I can handle a disagreement - that's part of science. We'll live - and I do respect your opinions. I do think a cold snap is becoming more of a passing concern. And you are correct, Nina fooled many of us(me included) all winter. But it behaved, temp wise, like it normally does - so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Now, neutral to Nino conditions in spring can be a big problem - that also is not surprise. As I stated earlier, I just wonder how long the atmosphere will take to react to the "new" Pacific. Thankfully, Nina may be gone by summer.

The NAO, Euro(to some extent), and the GFS are showing troughing over the East in the mid-long range. My concern, as you mention, is that a strorm amplifies along the coast and drives cold air down in its wake. The threat is most certainly there. With the pattern making a significant change, I think mischief cannot be ruled out. It probaby won't be anything but cold rain in the valleys as climo won't support snow in the valleys - not even close. However, Pisgah/GSMNP have seen some monster snows in early April. That is the worst case scenario as one clear night w/ cold temps in the mid 20s for extended time could devestate fruit growers. Foothills mentioned the possibility of some blocking in his discussion on his site.

You are right on that. Pisgah has seen some of it's biggest snows in April even in May there has been snow up in the high country. The next 2-3 weeks could be very interesting.

Truthfully, I can't see why anyone would care or get excited for cool weather at this point anyway. It's Spring now, lets move on. Winter will come again.

+1 +1 +1

Everyone should at least acknowledge that it is very unlikely that subfreezing temps will hit non-mtn locations again.

Archived