joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's discuss in this thread signs we saw/should have noticed

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting in October cold fronts came thru but it didn't get colder..there was no blocking at all in the fall and then thru the winter in Greenland. some.trees didn't change color here till early November..there was a big Ak vortex that was pumping mild pacific air starting in early November..every Euro weekly starting in early November was a blowtorch..there wasn't any fantasy snowstorms on GFS thru early January

Well they were all ripped down by the snow before they could change lol

Did that worry or concern you at all? if so,,you certainly didn't let on.

What was his reasoning?

No. I think the weather is governed by the laws of chaos and therefore it is inherently unpredictable. I forget what his reason was this year. In May 2010 I was taking the storm windows off the house and he came by to say hello. He told me "just leave them on, we're going to have one hell of a Winter in a few months." I asked him why and he pointed to the prolific Spring blossoms on everything and he said anytime you see a Spring like this look out.

No they are not only apparent in hindsight.because these are things i thought of during the course of this fing disaster winter..some I posted about..others i kept to myself..

I can't possibly be the only one that saw things that worried them

lol what i mean is they only seem valid in hindsight but it can be just as easily argued it has the validy of a stop clock being right twice a day.

i guess well just have to wait till mt. tolland gets 2.1 inches in october and you get 85 inches that winter till you admit it was meaningless

i noticed that when the next elevation storm is modeled and your calling for 2 feet atop broke back tolland mount that you are a weenie and will abandon your "october snow theory's" at the drop of a flake

I can think of good winters where we've had minor Oct snows..and the sample size is fairly low...but it seems if you get over an inch or so..the correlation to bad winters goes up

I think you are right. There seems to be a mirror correlation as well since I seem to notice that when we have an early heat wave in late April/May/early June it is usually followed by a cooler than normal summer.

Even if we do get a bomb..say with the end of the week progged storm..that still doesn't make up for this winter. It would only go from an F- to an F+

Not a great Winter so far but it's not over yet. The Oct bomb alone keeps this from being an F. I've had consistent snowcover and all the Winter sports I enjoy have been available. Not an F.

Starting in October cold fronts came thru but it didn't get colder..there was no blocking at all in the fall and then thru the winter in Greenland. some.trees didn't change color here till early November..there was a big Ak vortex that was pumping mild pacific air starting in early November..every Euro weekly starting in early November was a blowtorch..there wasn't any fantasy snowstorms on GFS thru early January

yes that CAA in october/nov from kentucky/tennessee was a joke

Does anybody remember the state of the NAO during the Halloween snowstorm? If negative, East based or West? Ironic that the e-wall storm history model page has every month for 2011 EXCEPT OCTOBER! Hence, I cant view the model depictions for that storm. :axe:

NAO was slightly positive .3 or something. for october storm on CPC NAO chart history

I think you are right. There seems to be a mirror correlation as well since I seem to notice that when we have an early heat wave in late April/May/early June it is usually followed by a cooler than normal summer.

i think that is the underlying belief/fear behind people's theory

to get a "good snow" in october means wasting a good pattern that probably wont be around or will have "flipped" by winter or so the thinking goes.

great post lots of signs

posted a couple way back, edmonton and ottawa breaking their alltime record for the latest snowfall recorded ever....not exactly an easy feat and a bad sign for the rest of us.

the geese is a good one, plenty of geese up here never left.

i know Will has posted about october snows and the lack of correlation, but ive never seen a good winter in canada that had significant october snow.

These are the two signs that I saw:

1) The October snowfall in the northeast. Note that October 1979 also saw a big snowfall in the northeast. 1979-80 was a bust

2) The mild November in Ontario, following a mild October. With the exception of November 1975, if you get a mild October and a mild November, winter is going to be warm. You can have a mild October and cold November, and still get a cold winter, but when both months are mild, forget it.

3) Joe Bastardi, accuweather, and other outlets calling for a cold winter when models kept saying otherwise. This reminded me so much of 2001-2002.

Archived