Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's discuss in this thread signs we saw/should have noticed

Damage In Tolland

yeah i know.

i know the amounts change from year to year. but this year was NONE. that's unusual.

again, i don't like to attach these things to weather going forward, but it gave me pause in the Fall.

most of the animal things i ignore. like geese just stay around now the same way Robins do etc.

Nah geese always leave. Maybe out on the Cape they do where it's milder..but this is the first year i have ever seen them in the winter months around here.

Acorns year this year was a dream for me. Can you imagine how much more damage would have been done to the trees in October if they also had the additional weight of acorns in addition to the leaves?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah geese always leave. Maybe out on the Cape they do where it's milder..but this is the first year i have ever seen them in the winter months around here.

Acorns year this year was a dream for me. Can you imagine how much more damage would have been done to the trees in October if they also had the additional weight of acorns in addition to the leaves?

some stay as far north as southern canada. they don't all migrate.

maybe they've just discovered how nice tolland is.

it was obvious by the end of november. the real problem was that nobody wanted to believe it

I knew December would suck by that point (I believe I brought up 2001 and people started freaking out) but I didn't know it was going to be so crappy through a good chunk of January and February either.

lolz http://www.americanw...g/page__st__105

I apologize for a lack of a thread title but I'm not really sure how to title this. This also may be more for OT, however, this does involve weather in a sense so I just posted it here. Plus I feel if this is in OT the thread could get out of hand. If mods/admins feel it should be an OT then just move it. Before I get into the story I know many people probably don't believe in this sort of stuff, however, I find it all highly interesting and truthfully who am I (or who is anyone else) to say this has no merit. With this said I'll get into the story.

Today I was at work and talking to this lady who I'm good friends with and her family as well. I know her two kids from Wolf Pack games and my brother and I have become friends with their family. This lady knows I love the weather and always asks me for forecasts if she can't watch the news. Anyways, today she was telling me this story about one of her great friends who she has known for 9 years. This person is a psychic (that might not be the correct word here but I think the term she used began with an "M") and has done all type of readings for her, her family and lots of other people as well and has had great success. Anyways she was telling me that she actually saw that a storm like this was coming and said it was a test for all of us as a preparation for something even bigger to come.

She said that she sees visions of a monster storm sometime between December and February that will produce snow for 3 consecutive days and produce monster snowfall totals, people would be trapped in their homes, there would be widespread power outages, people could run out of gas/oil. She said as we grew closer in time she will see the vision more clearly.

Now I'm not really someone to brush off ideas or laugh at anyone's ideas, especially when it comes to something like this. I know you see everyday people thinking they have these powers and make all sorts of claims and nothing happens. Like I said above, I know many don't believe in this sort of stuff, however, I find it interesting and there are some out there who do have this type of ability.

Anyways I just thought I'd share this b/c I found the story quite interesting. She did ask me as we get closer to look at whatever I look at when predicting the weather and see if something shows up.

:lmao:

she nailed it!

it was obvious?

we had two straight months of a positive AO starting mid november

the pattern in dec couldn't have possibly been worse.

every time blocking showed up on the long range ensemble forecasts, it died once we got within a week (or it lasted 2 days)

The only thing that's really shocked me this winter is that this 1-2 week period flopped. That I didn't see coming, really believed worse case we had 1 solid week of winter sandwiched around a torch. I think the touchiness going around is attributable to even the pessimistic portion of the group having some excitement over what's turned out to be just another tease.

December seemed like a foregone conclusion by about Thanksgiving when Jerry and I made the bet. I'm surprised that it continued to be persistent like it's been but I think eventually we reach a tipping point and the total lack of snowcover, warmer ocean temps and everything else starts to feed back.

I'll be surprised as the wave lengths shortern if we don't see a few snow events even in the CP but it may be a struggle. This is without fail the worst winter I've ever experienced in terms of pure warmth, total lack of feeling like winter, scope/spread/duration, and lack of snow. There's no snow, there's very little ice, flowers are out and lawns are still partially green.

Going forward if the GFS goes 15 or so days without being able to deliver one fantasy snowstorm for weeks/months on end, it's a good sign you're fighting a losing battle.

the tipping point is another thing i dont believe in......this could last well into next season and beyond.

after the big snow in 07-08 here, and the dud seasons that followed it made it look like everything is averaged out nicely and so we can get back to normal starting in 10-11.....no cigar. it can go on and on and on, nobody knows.

?? i said it became obvious by the end of november... the terrible pattern started around the 12th i think

so two weeks into the bad pattern you expected the remainder of DJF to be well above normal and essentially snowless?

props to you if that was your call. you should have ventured into our threads and told us.

i think by turkey day there was a strong signal that the first 2 to 3 weeks of december were going to be pretty rough...but outside of some statistics that showed some bad nina winters with similar beginnings, i don't know of any "obvious" signs the entire MET winter would be this sucktastic.

the tipping point is another thing i dont believe in......this could last well into next season and beyond.

after the big snow in 07-08 here, and the dud seasons that followed it made it look like everything is averaged out nicely and so we can get back to normal starting in 10-11.....no cigar. it can go on and on and on, nobody knows.

Yeah just look at the 1980s and easrly 1990s...season after season of garbage. Look at the 1955-1971 period here...17 consecutive seasons of average or better snowfall...unbelievable period.

Archived