joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most places will see measurable snow out of this...it might not look the prettiest, but there is a lot of moisture...the last windex potential we had there were issues in the low levels with dry air...not the case this time as currently modeled. So even some modest synoptic lift should squeeze out some snow.

Hopefully we trend the actual coastal system a little closer.

I think most places will see measurable snow out of this...it might not look the prettiest, but there is a lot of moisture...the last windex potential we had there were issues in the low levels with dry air...not the case this time as currently modeled. So even some modest synoptic lift should squeeze out some snow.

Hopefully we trend the actual coastal system a little closer.

It's definitely going to have the low level moisture with the airmass rather mild as this whole thing comes in.

I wonder though if we lose the WINDEX potential as the low develops. The front slows down and then just gets incorporated into the low. Instead, you have the band of post frontal lighter snows from frontogenesis hanging around, aside from whatever develops to our south..if it develops. Maybe we should just root for this to come a little closer. Either way seems like areas will at least see some light snows, aside from whatever happens with the low. I think having something like what the GFS and euro show is a little better for more widespread stuff, even if the heaviest stuff misses offshore. Better shortwave allows for more widespread lighter snows instead of hoping for an inv trough or snow squall.

It's definitely going to have the low level moisture with the airmass rather mild as this whole thing comes in.

I wonder though if we lose the WINDEX potential as the low develops. The front slows down and then just gets incorporated into the low. Instead, you have the band of post frontal lighter snows from frontogenesis hanging around, aside from whatever develops to our south..if it develops. Maybe we should just root for this to come a little closer. Either way seems like areas will at least see some light snows, aside from whatever happens with the low. I think having something like what the GFS and euro show is a little better for more widespread stuff, even if the heaviest stuff misses offshore. Better shortwave allows for more widespread lighter snows instead of hoping for an inv trough or snow squall.

Yeah I don't think its going to be very WINDEXy (I'm making that word up) even though I referenced the last one...but there is a lot of moisture and some instability around so even some weak ML fronto would probably produce a band of steady light snow on the back side of the front and we will probably see some disorganized snow shower activity ahead of the front too even if the low is too far east...I guess we'll see as it gets closer. GFS looks very WINDEXy for Sunday though with the arctic front.

If that southern energy keeps trending a little more robust and the northern stream continues to dig, then we could still pull off an advisory event.

Yeah I don't think its going to be very WINDEXy (I'm making that word up) even though I referenced the last one...but there is a lot of moisture and some instability around so even some weak ML fronto would probably produce a band of steady light snow on the back side of the front and we will probably see some disorganized snow shower activity ahead of the front too even if the low is too far east...I guess we'll see as it gets closer. GFS looks very WINDEXy for Sunday though with the arctic front.

If that southern energy keeps trending a little more robust and the northern stream continues to dig, then we could still pull off an advisory event.

Yeah I kind of had the vision in my head as to what may happen, earlier today..or at least what I hoped would happen. Obviously, having a low closer would be the best solution. The arctic front does have a WINDEX look to it for sure. I actually like those fronts that move more north to south better. Sometimes you have better convergence and a bit of a lake connection with moisture.

Canadian is much improved as well.

Yeah its similar to the ukie...the panel I showed on the Ukie doesn't even show all the precip, it only shows 6 hour qpf from 66-72 hours.

There is definitely still enough time to trend this back W/NW enough to get advisory snows.

Yeah its similar to the ukie...the panel I showed on the Ukie doesn't even show all the precip, it only shows 6 hour qpf from 66-72 hours.

There is definitely still enough time to trend this back W/NW enough to get advisory snows.

Hopefully, because it would be a nice trend in the + direction for once.

Pretty good turn of events here at 00z for you guys down there. I'm getting the feeling that this may turn out to be something decent for someone in New England... southern/eastern areas from CT (that's for you Blizz) up through downeast ME. In this winter even 2-4" is a decent synoptic event, if it were to continue that trend. Covers the grass, snows decently for a bit... good stuff this year. Hopefully the EURO comes out with some solid solution.

Isn't the seasonal trend for these cold airmasses to be over-modeled and the fronts don't make it as far SE as earlier thought? In this case that north and northwest trend of things this season may help out in this situation.

Pretty good turn of events here at 00z for you guys down there. I'm getting the feeling that this may turn out to be something decent for someone in New England... southern/eastern areas from CT (that's for you Blizz) up through downeast ME. In this winter even 2-4" is a decent synoptic event, if it were to continue that trend. Covers the grass, snows decently for a bit... good stuff this year. Hopefully the EURO comes out with some solid solution.

Isn't the seasonal trend for these cold airmasses to be over-modeled and the fronts don't make it as far SE as earlier thought? In this case that north and northwest trend of things this season may help out in this situation.

It would be nice, because I was hoping it wouldn't be banking on an inv trough or squalls. Synoptic stuff would be nice and perhaps we can get some of that.

Archived