• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will or Scott,

is the OP 12z ECMWF development of the NAO (day 9-10) a weenie solution?

Well its pretty east based...its got some support by the ensembles. It would help us some, but its not a classic block. Still I'd rather have ridging over there than a vortex.

LOL, Kevin is so direct and black and white. Always the type that plans things out and needs a response.

Anyways, GEFS have the low, but pretty far offshore, east of the BM.

Look at the kink in the isobars on the ensemble mean hanging back into the lakes and then offshore. That's pretty cool to see. Def Miller B-esque.

Basically through the whole run in the long run.

Look at the kink in the isobars on the ensemble mean hanging back into the lakes and then offshore. That's pretty cool to see. Def Miller B-esque.

Basically through the whole run in the long run.

Did you see the end of the EC run? It has a semi-permanent low pressure trough offshore, aligned ssw-nne.

Some nice ridging up into Alaska and western Canada, sharp trough into the east with a trough axis settling just far enough west, negative AO, possible split flow and potential high latitude blocking. The ingredients are there for a special Feb, hopefully everything breaks just right but lr ens are promising.

The Euro ensembles actually show more ridging into Greenland than they have thus far. It almost looks like it tries to retrograde the northern part of the Scandanavian ridge into Greenland...however, its still not your classic NAO block...but it does help force the PV into SE Canada. It has like -15C at 850 over SNE on Feb 9-10 because of this...which is pretty impressive for an ensemble mean that far out...we'll have to see how it goes as we get closer.

We might be moving toward a much colder scenario at least for a few days...when I started this thread, I figured it would be a decent snow pattern for us...but wasn't sure on the magnitude of the cold. But it looks like we could get a pretty good outbreak now. Still time for it to change though.

The Euro ensembles actually show more ridging into Greenland than they have thus far. It almost looks like it tries to retrograde the northern part of the Scandanavian ridge into Greenland...however, its still not your classic NAO block...but it does help force the PV into SE Canada. It has like -15C at 850 over SNE on Feb 9-10 because of this...which is pretty impressive for an ensemble mean that far out...we'll have to see how it goes as we get closer.

We might be moving toward a much colder scenario at least for a few days...when I started this thread, I figured it would be a decent snow pattern for us...but wasn't sure on the magnitude of the cold. But it looks like we could get a pretty good outbreak now. Still time for it to change though.

I hope the snow chances are still in play ..If it gets cold and everything gets suppressed deaths will happen by the hundreds around here

Euro is still quickest to weaken the ridging out west, although it still has it in NW Canada. Hopefully it's -PNA bias is at play, because the GEM and GEFS still have a healthy ridge at hr 360.

GFS CPC analogs are down since 1/27...too bad...the GGEM ones are still working and they have like 3 or 4 different big storms on their dates including Jan 1961, Jan 2005, Feb '06, and Feb '96.

The magnitude of the meridional flow definitely tells me that we'll have some chances at miller B redevelopers.

I hope the snow chances are still in play ..If it gets cold and everything gets suppressed deaths will happen by the hundreds around here

I wouldn't worry too much about a parade of storms getting suppressed...we could get one that does it, but it shouldn't be a reccurring theme without a big block to our northeast. We should have plenty of threats to track.

GFS CPC analogs are down since 1/27...too bad...the GGEM ones are still working and they have like 3 or 4 different big storms on their dates including Jan 1961, Jan 2005, Feb '06, and Feb '96.

The magnitude of the meridional flow definitely tells me that we'll have some chances at miller B redevelopers.

Yeah agree on that. It looks like we could transition from a pattern of redevelopers or Miller Bs, into more of a widespread coastal storm threat towards the 10th or so, as the trough retros a bit. It's just speculation at this point, but that's kind of how it looks.

Days and days of model agreement. Polar opposite of last winter which rocked until Feb and then dead ratted. This one dead ratted to date and NW may rock. This a better explanation Kevin? Olr man winter's now lumbered up.,will be doing some stints this week. Game on within a week!

Given the mjo progs and the ensemble modeling, won't the weeklies cave tomorrow? Are Monday's weeklies based on Thursdqy initialization or do we have to wait till thursday?

Good question. They do have a coupled ocean-atmospheric model so perhaps they will slow how quickly the PNA gets squashed, but I'm not sure how much they change. The EC ensembles did try to flatten heights out west by the end of their run, but still had ridging in NW Canada.

Archived